Can't download nor install new apps fron playstore HELP ?

Michel Fortin

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Since a few weeks ago, I noticed that downloading and installing new apps directly from the playstore app within my nexus 7 2013 (4.4.2) no longer worked: I can pick an app, press to install, accept the permissions then the download goes on and on. I could still install app from the web playstore, directing them to my tablet but even this seems to no longer work.

I have about 20% memory left could this be the reason. I also have a nexus 5 phone hooked-up to the same google account; any impact ?

Thanks,

Mike

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Memory could play some factor in this. Having a smartphone on the same Google account shouldn't impact the situation. I too use a N7 (2012) model and HTC One off the same Google account.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Since a few weeks ago, I noticed that downloading and installing new apps directly from the playstore app within my nexus 7 2013 (4.4.2) no longer worked: I can pick an app, press to install, accept the permissions then the download goes on and on. I could still install app from the web playstore, directing them to my tablet but even this seems to no longer work.

I have about 20% memory left could this be the reason. I also have a nexus 5 phone hooked-up to the same google account; any impact ?

Thanks,

Mike

You can have more than one device connected to the same google account. Is it that the download never finishes or you get an error? It might be your internet connection.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Thanks,

Mike

The Nexus 5 and relatively low memory are less likely to be an issue until you start talking about very low memory situations. I would suggest using the 'force stop' and 'clear data' options in Settings > Apps > Play Store and Settings > Apps > Download Manager, and trying again. If that doesn't work, or you've already tried that, the next step would be removing and re-adding your Google account on the device. After that, likely a factory reset. There were similar Play Store issues after the 4.3 update, but they were addressed by an update version of the Play Store app itself (which you should have already). As for why the desktop Play Store site is no longer working, I have no idea. The Play Store app on the phone may still be where the issue lies.

On the Google Play Support Digital Content page, you can use the 'Contact Us' option and choose:

1. 'Using and downloading Google Play apps & digital content'
  2. 'Download apps & games'
  3. 'Seeing stuck or unsuccessful downloads on all apps & games'

Here's what it gives you:

Confirm that you've performed all the basic troubleshooting steps:

1. Cancel and restart the downloads.
  2. Reboot your device (turn it completely off and back on - turning off the screen is not sufficient).
  3. Clear the cache/data of the Google Play Store app and the Download manager:

1. Visit Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications
  2. Tab over to "All"
  3. Select "Play Store," then tap "Clear data" and "Clear cache;" then, select Download manager and tap "Clear data" and "Clear cache."

Try your downloads on both WiFi and network (3G/4G) connection if available. If one works but not the other, the issue is with your connection on that network, and you should contact your provider. If you're on a WiFi-only device, ensure firewalls aren't blocking access to ports required for Google Play to download (TCP and UDP 5228).

If you follow those prompts, there are also links to related pages and to contact them. :)

GHaustin

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
“””” A Fix For Not Being Able To Download Or Install Apps From The Google Play Store
For People Who Have Tried EVERYTHING And It Still Doesn’t Work !!!!!!”””””””””

To keep a long story short, I had decided to start using an older Android phone of\my wife’s. So I decided to factory reset it so I could start fresh on it. Well after it restarted it immediately being to ***** about not being able to connect to server. Then when I open the play store everything I tried to download was Error retrieving information from server. I tried everything I could think of but nothing worked. Then hitting the forums and trying everything listed in them at least 10 times. So I was about to just give up then my little voice said try this one last thing and to my surprise it WORKED. Everything was working, updating and downloading. Here are the step to what I did.
1. Remove all accounts and yes this means do a factory reset
2. Restart the device
3. After start up DO NOT and I mean DO NOT create, link or sign in using your google account info. Hit skip this step and let the device fully start up.
4. After is has started and you have a data connection open the Play Store
5. At this time NOW sign in with your google account info.
6. Just sit back and enjoy watching the updates come zooming in.
I don’t know why this worked or how but it worked. I am posting this so that others who are as frustrated as I was, might have a chance at PEACE. May this post save others and lead to calm.

Vaibhav Singh6

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
“””” A Fix For Not Being Able To Download Or Install Apps From The Google Play Store
For People Who Have Tried EVERYTHING And It Still Doesn’t Work !!!!!!”””””””””

To keep a long story short, I had decided to start using an older Android phone of\my wife’s. So I decided to factory reset it so I could start fresh on it. Well after it restarted it immediately being to ***** about not being able to connect to server. Then when I open the play store everything I tried to download was Error retrieving information from server. I tried everything I could think of but nothing worked. Then hitting the forums and trying everything listed in them at least 10 times. So I was about to just give up then my little voice said try this one last thing and to my surprise it WORKED. Everything was working, updating and downloading. Here are the step to what I did.
1. Remove all accounts and yes this means do a factory reset
2. Restart the device
3. After start up DO NOT and I mean DO NOT create, link or sign in using your google account info. Hit skip this step and let the device fully start up.
4. After is has started and you have a data connection open the Play Store
5. At this time NOW sign in with your google account info.
6. Just sit back and enjoy watching the updates come zooming in.
I don’t know why this worked or how but it worked. I am posting this so that others who are as frustrated as I was, might have a chance at PEACE. May this post save others and lead to calm.

OK I tried everything including this still doesn't work, I don't know what to do I am not able to download our update any app from playstore and my phones feels like a plastic brick without play store.

Please help me guys.