Tethering an iPhone 5

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Wondering if anyone has a similar problem. I have an iPhone 5 which I am trying to tether to my nexus 7 via bluetooth while on the train. Connects just fine but I have no Internet? No data seems to be coming through. Works fine using wifi from the iPhone. That method is just less convenient and uses more battery. I am running the latest version of android.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If it works fine with the iPhone acting as a Wifi hotspot I would go that way. You will have much greater wifi speed, lower latency, and not have to mess with the BT stack issues.

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I cannot argue wifi has its advantages. Still the extra battery use coupled with the inconvenience of having to connect via wifi (dig phone out of pocket, go into settings, and turn hotspot on) makes me wish bluetooth would work. Anyone know why it connects but does not seem to work Internet wise?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
You need some sort of app on your phone to use it as a hotspot with BT as a connecting protocol. The way you are doing it now is simply pairing the devices. They don't know what to do with each other once paired. Also, BT is extremely slow for data transfer such as web browsing.

BTW, I have never touched an iPhone so I do not know if there is an equivalent app. With my Nexus phone, I have an app with a shortcut on my home screen. I just set it up initially and whenever I want to tether I just tap the icon and it does the rest and my tablet auto connects. When I tap it again it resets. I don't have to bother going through any settings screens. Maybe there is something like that in the App Store.

Priscilla Johnson

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What is the name of the app you use? Thanks,

You need some sort of app on your phone to use it as a hotspot with BT as a connecting protocol. The way you are doing it now is simply pairing the devices. They don't know what to do with each other once paired. Also, BT is extremely slow for data transfer such as web browsing.

BTW, I have never touched an iPhone so I do not know if there is an equivalent app. With my Nexus phone, I have an app with a shortcut on my home screen. I just set it up initially and whenever I want to tether I just tap the icon and it does the rest and my tablet auto connects. When I tap it again it resets. I don't have to bother going through any settings screens. Maybe there is something like that in the App Store.

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the response. The frustrating thing is blue tooth Tethering did work when I first got the tablet. Can't remember if it stopped working after upgrading to kit Kate or not.

The process you describe with your phone is exactly how I tethered my iPad for years. No app necessary. And while it was slower it was sufficiently quick for my surfing needs.

Guess for know I will use wifi.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm