GPS and the Caribbean
I am going on a cruise. I would like to be able to look at the current ships position on my Nexus 7 but without a WiFi connection. WiFi connections are very expensive on a ship not to mention slow. We will be in the Eastern Caribbean. St. Thomas, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, and St. Kitts. Is there a app that would suit my needs? I don't need navigation obviously, just want to pinpoint our ships location. I am assuming I would need to also pre-load maps of that whole area somehow. Can anyone help me?
- 01-20-2014, 04:23 PM #2
Re: GPS and the Caribbean
You can pre-load the map on Google Maps. Just go to the area you'll be in, click on the search bar and instead of searching, scroll all the way down to "Make this map area available offline" (But please note that some areas, due to each country's restrictions, cannot be saved for offline viewing). GPS data will not need WiFi to work (although it may take a bit longer to lock onto your position).
If you want to save a 'path', there are third party apps mostly used for hiking or running that can save your coordinates over time. When you get a working WiFi connection you can overlay that path onto an actual map.
- 01-20-2014, 05:40 PM #3
- 01-20-2014, 05:48 PM #4
- By bigredcaddy5 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3Replies: 9Last Post: 02-23-2015, 11:14 AM
- By Ruben Tomasov in forum LG Optimus SeriesReplies: 9Last Post: 01-22-2014, 12:24 PM
- By Spicey-Ryan in forum HTC One M7Replies: 10Last Post: 01-21-2014, 11:34 AM
- By Forester1 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3Replies: 10Last Post: 01-21-2014, 09:53 AM
- By maxsilk in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 MiniReplies: 2Last Post: 01-20-2014, 03:35 PM