Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7: Shut Down Wouldn't Restart = Motherboard Stuffed

Hello,

Just thought I'd post this in the case of anyone else who may experience the same thing:

My Nexus 7 is two months old - never been dropped or mistreated. Yesterday, after using the tablet with no problems, I locked the screen and put it down. Returning to it 30 mins later, it appeared to have shut itself down. Trying to restart it was fruitless. After trying all the suggestions on the ASUS website (plugging it into power, holding down the start button, holding down the volume down button blah blah etc etc), it still wasn't working. Plugging it into power showed no signs of life. Plugging it into the computer showed that the Nexus was connected, but nothing else/no access to folders.

Took it to ASUS in Perth who now have it with the suspicion that the motherboard is kaput, to be replaced.

Boo.

I do like the Nexus 7 when it works and it is invaluable as I travel extensively for work. However, this is my 3rd one.....first one (2012) had the usual hard to start after power down issue but otherwise worked fine until one day I picked it up and the screen was cracked. No idea how. So bought a 2013 and had it for 2 weeks and left it on a plane, never to be seen again. Great : ) And now....number three has motherboard issues.

Maybe Nexus 7 and I aren't meant to be..
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-21-2014 at 04:54 AM.

Default Re: Nexus 7: Shut Down Wouldn't Restart = Motherboard Stuffed

Welcome to Android Central! How frustrating! Just curious, did you try any of the methods mentioned in this help article? https://support.google.com/googlepla.../3337561?hl=en
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you : )
    Yes that google article was my first port of call and I followed it through A to Z. No response : )

Now tomorrow I've got seven and a half hours on a plane with only an iPhone for an e-reader. Tisk tisk.

yes, it has happened to me , too. but after it randomly shuts down, i had to press on power button for extra long time in order to turn it on again.

then asus replaced the motherboard.

Global Posts
    835 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

um idk when my old 2013 wifi version wouldnt restart i realized it was something with the power button rather than the board so maybe they just want to make money off of you
    For app reviews and Rom reviews follow me on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/OnEmOsPhErE86

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Smallsz,

you mentioned that you had taken it to ASUS in Perth (assuming its ASUS' repair facility/store). Did ASUS charge you for a new motherboard? or is it covered under warranty?

Global Posts
    670 Global Posts

I just had the same problem with mine. (32GB, wifi model). Device was about 11 months old and had been very well cared for.

Ended up going through ASUS and warranty (RMA) replaced the motherboard after I sent it to an Asus Texas to a repair facility.

No cost to me except for shipping cost down to TX.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Sadly, I've had exactly the same issue happen to my N7 2013. Luckily it was 19 days still in warranty, so back to PC World (in the UK) and it's off to ASUS to be repaired.

At least now I know what it's likely to be. When you get your tablet back, has it been security-wiped, or do they leave your apps and data alone? I'd hate to lose all my game saves, but I'm kinda expecting the worst.

it has happened to me too.

has anyone of you tried to press on the power button for a very long time?

that always solve the problem.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

I did try that, along with everything suggested by the Google troubleshooter. Unfortunately, I don't think it's the battery in my case, but the motherboard that's borked (if you plugged it into the PC via USB it would cause Windows to detect the device, but not access it).

did you try to press on the power button for over 1 minute or more? or for as long as you can keep pressing it.

if there is still nothing, then just contact asus and ask them to repair it.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Yup, tried that - it's back with Asus now, although they seem to have lost it... O.o

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Finally got the lil' wee beastie back from PC World (good grief they're *rubbish*). What's interesting is that I had the N7 2013 WiFi model and it came back with LTE after they replaced the motherboard and battery. What's even more fun is that although it has LTE capability now, the case back doesn't have the port for inserting a SIM card.

Hey-ho, at least it's home again.
    Thanked by:
    GSDer 

Similar issue. This device lasted 9 months before dying. Not only does Asus refuse to honor the warranty, claiming that we shorted the motherboard by using a non-proprietary charger, but the price they quoted for repair is 80% higher than the cost of the new tablet. When I pointed this out, they said, "oops, sorry, made a little mistake". Now the price is 70% higher than a new machine. Yes, we used a different charger, but only as a test AFTER the machine had died. Friends with teh same machine have never had problems using different chargers.