Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By castleruins
  • 1 Post By sparksd
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default otg cable non root

Hi I need help picking out a good otg cable for my nexus 7 2013 that sells on amazon. What I plan to do with it is plug a controller in to play emulators. I also want it to read my flash drive as well as external hard drive non powered. Need advice on best cable as well as what app to download in order to get into the external hard drive as well as flash drive to watch movies. Ive been surfing the web but couldn't get enough info on which app and otg cable will be the best. thanks

Global Posts
    3,934 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Default Re: otg cable non root

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnnyyyy View Post
    Hi I need help picking out a good otg cable for my nexus 7 2013 that sells on amazon. What I plan to do with it is plug a controller in to play emulators. I also want it to read my flash drive as well as external hard drive non powered. Need advice on best cable as well as what app to download in order to get into the external hard drive as well as flash drive to watch movies. Ive been surfing the web but couldn't get enough info on which app and otg cable will be the best. thanks

I use this cable for my HTC One X. It works great with flash drives.

As for the external hard drive, you might need an external power source.

Amazon.com: eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter compatible with Samsung Galaxy S3/S3: Cell Phones & Accessories

You can use ES File Explorer to view the content inside the external storage.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gs.android.pop
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    I use this cable for my HTC One X. It works great with flash drives.

As for the external hard drive, you might need an external power source.

Amazon.com: eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter compatible with Samsung Galaxy S3/S3: Cell Phones & Accessories

You can use ES File Explorer to view the content inside the external storage.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gs.android.pop
    where can i find one with a external power source or one that works with the nexus 7. Also i use x-plore do you know if i will be able view my content from explore?

Global Posts
    3,934 Global Posts
    ROM

where can i find one with a external power source or one that works with the nexus 7. Also i use x-plore do you know if i will be able view my content from explore?
    If you mean this file manager, then yes:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...atgames.Xplore

Hard drives sometimes come with an external power supply, but it might not need one. The only way to verify is if you actually try it out yourself.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

I'm under the impression that the only way to view/use external media on the Nexus 7 is using Nexus Media Importer. Also, see the current last comment concerning ROMS here:
    Google Nexus 7 2013 Tablet Question

I have no problems accessing movies and files from external drives using usb-otg cable and NMI, though I haven't used one that needs power.
    wizzrah likes this.

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

For hard drives, in most cases you will have to supply external power as the N7 doesn't provide much (the 2013 seems to be a bit less than the 2012 version). I have used a Western Digital 1TB My Passport drive using this cable and a separate power pack:

Amazon.com : eForCity dual A to Micro-B USB 3.0 Y Cable, Black : Computer Usb Cables : Computers & Accessories

This cable is for a USB 3 drive, a similar USB 2 cable is:

Amazon.com: StarTech 3-Feet USB Y Cable for External Hard Drive - Dual USB A to Micro B (USB2HAUBY3): Electronics
    wizzrah likes this.

Global Posts
    3,934 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by sparksd View Post
    For hard drives, in most cases you will have to supply external power as the N7 doesn't provide much (the 2013 seems to be a bit less than the 2012 version). I have used a Western Digital 1TB My Passport drive using this cable and a separate power pack:

Amazon.com : eForCity dual A to Micro-B USB 3.0 Y Cable, Black : Computer Usb Cables : Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: StarTech 3-Feet USB Y Cable for External Hard Drive - Dual USB A to Micro B (USB2HAUBY3): Electronics
    That generic eForCity brand is pretty popular huh?

Sent from my One Xl using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

That generic eForCity brand is pretty popular huh?

Sent from my One Xl using Tapatalk
    I have both and they work great.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

sorry but I'm kind of confused would i need buy one of those cables as well as a regular org cable or one with a host otg cable with power like this one
    Amazon.com: micro usb host otg cable with micro usb power
    i was thinking that all i need to buy is the cable that i posted the link from amazon the otg host cable. I'm trying to use a seagate go flex external hard drive
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

sorry if i am being confusing but if someone can help me with exactly which cable to purchase that can be used on the nexus with my external. i have one external the seagate and the port is mini usb to usb. i have another external taken from my macbook pro which i put in a external case and the hook up is a usb 3.0. here are some pics otg cable non root-securedownload-1.jpegotg cable non root-securedownload.jpeg

sorry if i am being confusing but if someone can help me with exactly which cable to purchase that can be used on the nexus with my external. i have one external the seagate and the port is mini usb to usb. i have another external taken from my macbook pro which i put in a external case and the hook up is a usb 3.0. here are some pics Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload-1.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	102004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	102005
    I see what you're asking. All you need is a cable like this.

Amazon.com: IVSO Nexus 7 Tablet Micro USB Host OTG Cable - Micro USB B/Male to USB2.0 A/Female OTG Host Cable for Nexus 7 (Black): Computers & Accessories

It doesn't have to be that exact brand just USB OTG. I actually bought one at tiger direct (retail) the other day and it works great. When i was in Atlanta I bought two different kinds. One I bought was junk and diddn't work. Was too lazy to return it. The other I bought worked great for a while but the inside wire must have broke.

Fortunately they are cheap cables $5-$10 max. Just read reviews on which work the best for people. All you do is plug the "USB" side into the USB OTG adapter. Regardless what the other side is micro usb or USB 3.0 it will work. You just need the magic usb OTG.

Someone said power adapter so what they mean is just plugging the charger source into the External Hard Drive and connecting the hard drive normally as you would to the nexus 7 using the OTG cable. However I do have a Passport and (forgot the other brand) but one is 1TB and the other is 500 GB. The TB is USB 3.0 and I don't ever use an external charger. Same as the other. It might be bad for it but oh well.

You might have to be rooted to use an OTG cable. I think android central made a guide a while back explaining the process for rooted and unrooted. I'm rooted and just used stick mount but I also have media importer. And I will say with my 32GB USB drive I feel like I'm using a micro sd card. Roms, movies, music, everything loads off it perfectly and can be copied. I might get a bigger USB drive or the meenova. But I can literally store countless roms, music, and movies onto it and I can't save the internal space for games and apps on the nexus. It makes the lack of a micro sd card slot almost pointless.

Best of luck.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by mvsmith View Post
    I see what you're asking. All you need is a cable like this.

Amazon.com: IVSO Nexus 7 Tablet Micro USB Host OTG Cable - Micro USB B/Male to USB2.0 A/Female OTG Host Cable for Nexus 7 (Black): Computers & Accessories

It doesn't have to be that exact brand just USB OTG. I actually bought one at tiger direct (retail) the other day and it works great. When i was in Atlanta I bought two different kinds. One I bought was junk and diddn't work. Was too lazy to return it. The other I bought worked great for a while but the inside wire must have broke.

Fortunately they are cheap cables $5-$10 max. Just read reviews on which work the best for people. All you do is plug the "USB" side into the USB OTG adapter. Regardless what the other side is micro usb or USB 3.0 it will work. You just need the magic usb OTG.

Someone said power adapter so what they mean is just plugging the charger source into the External Hard Drive and connecting the hard drive normally as you would to the nexus 7 using the OTG cable. However I do have a Passport and (forgot the other brand) but one is 1TB and the other is 500 GB. The TB is USB 3.0 and I don't ever use an external charger. Same as the other. It might be bad for it but oh well.

You might have to be rooted to use an OTG cable. I think android central made a guide a while back explaining the process for rooted and unrooted. I'm rooted and just used stick mount but I also have media importer. And I will say with my 32GB USB drive I feel like I'm using a micro sd card. Roms, movies, music, everything loads off it perfectly and can be copied. I might get a bigger USB drive or the meenova. But I can literally store countless roms, music, and movies onto it and I can't save the internal space for games and apps on the nexus. It makes the lack of a micro sd card slot almost pointless.

Best of luck.
    You plug your external to just a regular otg cable and it works? i read that the nexus 7 doesn't power some external hard drives which i know probably will be the case in the externals i have. so I'm guessing people say to buy one with a y cable so you can plug the power into the micro usb female port while plugging the other port in the usb and using the other micro usb to plug into the nexus. I just dont know if it'll work for sure and read that sometimes hooking power can brick the device or something i read in one of the amazon comments. I don't know I'm pretty confused on what will work and don't want to keep ordering differing cables and parts and end up wasting money. I want to get it right the first time

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

I have 3 external Western Digital Passport drives - 2 500GB drives and 1 1 TB drive. I can use the 500GB drives with just the OTG cable and standard USB cable on my 2012 Nexus 7 without additional power to the drive. The 1 TB drive required power - it drew too much juice. On my 2013 Nexus 7, none of the drives worked without additional power to the drive and that's when I got the y-cables.

You do not need to be rooted to use the drives with the Nexus Media Importer app.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I have 3 external Western Digital Passport drives - 2 500GB drives and 1 1 TB drive. I can use the 500GB drives with just the OTG cable and standard USB cable on my 2012 Nexus 7 without additional power to the drive. The 1 TB drive required power - it drew too much juice. On my 2013 Nexus 7, none of the drives worked without additional power to the drive and that's when I got the y-cables.

You do not need to be rooted to use the drives with the Nexus Media Importer app.
    the only thing is one of my external has a mini usb to usb is there a y cable with mini usb? also you have to con nest a charger or battery pack with it as well correct? would it be better instead of buying y cable and otg separate or just buying a micro usb host cable with micro us power like this one
    Amazon.com: Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power for Nexus 7 Galaxy S3 & Galaxy Nexus: Electronics

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

the only thing is one of my external has a mini usb to usb is there a y cable with mini usb? also you have to con nest a charger or battery pack with it as well correct? would it be better instead of buying y cable and otg separate or just buying a micro usb host cable with micro us power like this one
    Amazon.com: Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power for Nexus 7 Galaxy S3 & Galaxy Nexus: Electronics
    Hard to tell what the connection setup would look like with that cable and a hard drive with a micro USB port on it. As for battery power for the drive, I certainly found that I needed it with my 2013 Nexus 7 and any of my My Passport drives.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Hard to tell what the connection setup would look like with that cable and a hard drive with a micro USB port on it. As for battery power for the drive, I certainly found that I needed it with my 2013 Nexus 7 and any of my My Passport drives.
    well for the setup up with the cable link from amazon i think would be micro usb male plugged into the tablet, micro usb female will have a battery pack or charger plugged in, usb female will have any of the choice of external. do you think that will work?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I purchased this cable Amazon.com: Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power for Nexus 7 Galaxy S3 & Galaxy Nexus: Electronics if i root and put a custom kernel to allow it to charge as well as power the usb device, will this cable work?

Global Posts
    3,934 Global Posts
    ROM

I purchased this cable Amazon.com: Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power for Nexus 7 Galaxy S3 & Galaxy Nexus: Electronics if i root and put a custom kernel to allow it to charge as well as power the usb device, will this cable work?
    Maybe. I don't know if the usb port will out enough power to supply the device with power.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Maybe. I don't know if the usb port will out enough power to supply the device with power.
    oh i see why people buy the y cable and connect a otg to it like sparksd suggested. well I'm going to try and give it a shot

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

oh i see why people buy the y cable and connect a otg to it like sparksd suggested. well I'm going to try and give it a shot
    Yeah, it can sure seem to be a bit of a lashup but all I an say is that it works. To sum it up - the OTG cable connects the N7 to the Y-cable. The rest of the Y-cable is connected to the external battery power source and to the hard drive. The hard drive is then accessed on the N7 using the Nexus Media Importer app (a rooted device gives more options). And note that the external power supply is not also charging the N7 battery - it is only providing power to the drive. One other thing - sometimes there is sensitivity to what is attached when - i.e., connect all of the external pieces together first and then plug the OTG cable into the N7 - I have see it sometimes occur that if I attach the OTG cable to the N7 first, followed by attaching the rest to the OTG cable that Nexus Media Importer does not connect to the drive.

Needless to say, a flash drive is much easier in that it just plugs in with the OTG cable and does not require additional power.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Yeah, it can sure seem to be a bit of a lashup but all I an say is that it works. To sum it up - the OTG cable connects the N7 to the Y-cable. The rest of the Y-cable is connected to the external battery power source and to the hard drive. The hard drive is then accessed on the N7 using the Nexus Media Importer app (a rooted device gives more options). And note that the external power supply is not also charging the N7 battery - it is only providing power to the drive. One other thing - sometimes there is sensitivity to what is attached when - i.e., connect all of the external pieces together first and then plug the OTG cable into the N7 - I have see it sometimes occur that if I attach the OTG cable to the N7 first, followed by attaching the rest to the OTG cable that Nexus Media Importer does not connect to the drive.

Needless to say, a flash drive is much easier in that it just plugs in with the OTG cable and does not require additional power.
    I just purchased the micro USB host otg with micro USB power the one I put in the link from amazon. Reason being i didnt want to purchase two cables.Another amazon member commented to me that it does work powering an external hard drive but it doesn't charge the tablet simultaneously. The person commented that I can use a custom kernel after root to charge and power USB device but hr mentioned the cable as a y cable so I was confused if he was taking about the cable I purchased or a y cabled that was posted earlier by sparksd.

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

I just purchased the micro USB host otg with micro USB power the one I put in the link from amazon. Reason being i didnt want to purchase two cables.Another amazon member commented to me that it does work powering an external hard drive but it doesn't charge the tablet simultaneously. The person commented that I can use a custom kernel after root to charge and power USB device but hr mentioned the cable as a y cable so I was confused if he was taking about the cable I purchased or a y cabled that was posted earlier by sparksd.
    There is a discussion on this at

Nexus 7 2013 Timur's ROM USB OTG + Charging - xda-developers

There is an app called nexus media importer I'd check it out and see if it is helpful to you...

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

so i decided to root my nexus and my nexus is rooted. What are my next steps so i can use the ability to power usb device and charge. Do i flash elementlx rom first and then kernel. or do i just have to flash the rom?