Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default PIN Auto Reset itself

I know this is going to sound like a total newb post, and like user error, but I want to preface my issue with this.... I have been an Android user for about 4 years, work tech support for Sprint, and have rooted and ROM'd a few devices. I only day this to show I'm not new to Android even if my question seems like it.

OK. I PIN lock my device's and have used the same PIN code for years. Today, I go to unlock my tablet, enter my PIN and get a wrong PIN error. I tried it multiple times in case I just hit the wrong # accidentally but no luck. Despite what it seems I have NOT forgotten my PIN. Anyone else had this happen? Any ideas?

A couple other things that may help. I use the restricted profiles and I'm the main profile. My son uses a pattern lock and at the same time my PIN reset, his Pattern was set to slide. I do know how to hard reset it, but prefer not to.

Default Re: PIN Auto Reset itself

I think are set with resetting the unit. If there was a backdoor the security would be worthless.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I agree but if it really does reset on its own, then setting the PIN is also worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by ForTheGlory View Post
    I agree but if it really does reset on its own, then setting the PIN is also worthless.
    Agree. But, I have PINs on my 10 or so Android devices and have never had them reset on their own. Was you PIN something really easy like 1-2-3-4. If so, it could have violated a updated guideline. Google and other companies sometimes increases security requirements such as requiring password with different cases and non alphanumeric characters.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post
    Agree. But, I have PINs on my 10 or so Android devices and have never had them reset on their own. Was you PIN something really easy like 1-2-3-4. If so, it could have violated a updated guideline. Google and other companies sometimes increases security requirements such as requiring password with different cases and non alphanumeric characters.
    I doubt they would increase their security requirements in a way that locks the guy out of his device, but who knows?
    Last edited by brosko; 02-03-2014 at 04:13 PM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Thanks for responding for those who did. It was not an easy PIN. I've used it on all my devices for approx 3 years. Either way, i turned on my Nexus 7 tonight after leaving it off for 24 hrs (like I thought that would help or something), and my PIN worked fine. Weirdest thing to ever happen to me using Android. I'm just glad i didn't jump straight to a hard reset.

The only thing i can think of that happen must have to do with the app Skiplock. I use it to bypass my lock code and turn it off when I'm connected to my home wifi. It's the only thing with permission to manipulate my PIN. I've been using it on my phone and tablet for about 3 months without problem. Oh well, disabling my PIN for a while, tablet only.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    8,890 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

That is weird. I never had issues while using SkipLock.
    Oh well, at least it's working again

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by ForTheGlory View Post
    The only thing i can think of that happen must have to do with the app Skiplock. I use it to bypass my lock code and turn it off when I'm connected to my home wifi. It's the only thing with permission to manipulate my PIN. I've been using it on my phone and tablet for about 3 months without problem. Oh well, disabling my PIN for a while, tablet only.

A did not know there was an app involved. Some glitch in the app would be my guess for the cause. Your disabling sounds like the way to go and should show whether the app could be a fault.

I have had the same experience, now twice. I'm an experienced software engineer, and have used the same pin for years, so I definitely didn't get it wrong. It does appear to be the result of a bug in SkipLock, and is mentioned in their FAQ, FAQ | Ben Hirashima. The advice there, using Android Device Manager, doesn't help, even if you have set it up beforehand. The only option I see is factory reset, again. :-( If anyone has new insight, I'd be interested to hear it.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by tektor View Post
    t does appear to be the result of a bug in SkipLock
    I've used Delayed Lock http://market.android.com/details?id...yedlock2.trial (the Pro version) for quite awhile and have been pretty happy with it. YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk