Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wantabe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default google nexus 7 android 4.3 jelly bean wi fi connectivity problems with dlink D-601 router

Just purchased a google nexus 7 android 4.3 jelly bean.

Everything seems to work great EXCEPT......I have a dlink d-601 wireless router at home here. My Samsung ACE 11 galaxy picks up the unsecured network 'dlink' almost instantly.

BUT....my nexus 7 doesn't want to connect to the dlink network unless it sits for 10 or more and then it arbitrarily seems to pick up the signal most of the time and it shows a strong signal.
    However, it picks up other wireless secured networks (weakly) in the neighbourhood instantly as soon as I turn on the nexus 7.

My dlink network is unsecured.....the weak other networks have WEP security.

Sometimes I have to 'forget' the dlink link network, then re-enter the SSID and then it will sometimes pick up the signal....other times NOT.

But, as noted above, my Samsung ACE 2 picks the signal up as soon as it's turned on.

I'm stumped.

Thanks for any hints as to what would cause this.

Pm

Default Re: google nexus 7 android 4.3 jelly bean wi fi connectivity problems with dlink D-601 router

In advanced wifi settings try changing "wifi frequency band" to "2.4GHz only" and see if that helps. My N5 and N7 both seem to reconnect faster with that setting. In the play store download "wifi analyzer" to your devices and see what kind of signal strength they see from your router and also what channel your neighbors are on. You probably need to reconfigure your router settings.
    google nexus 7 android 4.3 jelly bean wi fi connectivity problems with dlink D-601 router-screenshot_2014-02-07-11-30-56.jpg
    "Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"
    AT&T HTC One X 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ ElementalX, Nexus 5 32GB, Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
    B. Diddy likes this.

Default Re: google nexus 7 android 4.3 jelly bean wi fi connectivity problems with dlink D-601 router

Agree with wantabe. If your router is using a wi-fi channel that's pretty congested, you may find some difficulties with connection or performance. You can go into the router's settings (using your computer browser--see the router manual) to change the wi-fi channel if necessary. Also, have you tried rebooting your router? Unplug the power, wait for 10 seconds, then plug back in.

If this is your home network, I would really really recommend making it secure. It would be relatively easy for someone to mooch of your signal, or worse, eavesdrop and perhaps hack into your system. The best security protocol is WPA2-PSK with AES.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks....will try both your and B. Diddy's suggestions.

What I find odd is that my Samsung ACE 2 phone picks up the signal perfectly ALL the time regardless of where I have the phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks....will try both your and wantabe's suggestions.

What I find odd is that my Samsung ACE 2 phone picks up the signal perfectly ALL the time regardless of where I have the phone.

There can be temporary differences between devices--I wish I knew the technical reason, but it's what I've experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by pmikwh View Post
    Thanks....will try both your and B. Diddy's suggestions.

There are different radios in the two devices so they have different characteristics. Also, with a phone it is possible for it to transparently switch over to cellular. And sometimes my Verizon cellular is faster than Wifi.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for the info about the different receivers...phone versus tablet. My Samsung doesn't get any cell reception here because the house is located in a low lying area because of the river.

And my Nexus 7 doesn't have phone capability.....just internet.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Downloaded the wi fi analyzer.....nice.

WiFi analyzer is a neat app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app