Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Darth Spock
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question question about bad people using chat programs to spy ?

when i install those chat programs, some of them ask me permission to get access to my photos, etc.

i wonder if they want, can they easily look at my photos, documents, etc in my tablet?

will firewall be able to prevent that? or are there any apps to show me if anyone is trying to get access to those things?

Global Posts
    5,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: question about bad people using chat programs to spy ?

If you're talking about app permissions, my assumption would be that a chat program needs permission to view photos in case you want to share something from your gallery. Typically, if you grant an app access to part of the device, yes the app has the ability access to that. If by, "bad people" you mean the developers, I would strongly recommend not downloading any apps from developers that you do not trust to handle your data according to the privacy policy they have posted, within the context of user feedback and what their permissions allow. If an app has a permission you are uneasy about, it's usually very easy to email the developer to ask why that app needs the specific feature and how information gathered in such a way is used.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Devlyn16 likes this.

Sometimes I wonder if some apps were developed by NSA fronts.

If you grant the application access to your data it has access to your data. If you also grant the application access to the Internet, which you have to with a chat program, it can send that data were every it wants. A firewall will not help since you would have to allow the chat program to get traffic through the firewall for the program to work. Another reason not to use chat programs.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

is there anyway to find out? in theory, they all can look at our pics, documents, etc. those companies may not permit it, but some employees can do it at home at leisure.

Unless the developer added a log file or other tracking mechanism I don't think there is anyway to see if an application accesses a resource for which it has been granted permissions. Android has a list of permissions that applications can request. It is up to you to determine whether you are comfortable with the permissions the application requests.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

lots of people use chat programs, i am surprised that no one seems to find a solution for this possible hacking problem.

Anything can be potentially abused or hacked. There's no way to completely sure you're safe except by not using it at all. Most popular apps are generally safe but it's your call to use it.
    Moto X (Olive Green, Black front, Orange accents (Dec. 2013)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Dec. 2011) - Droid X (July 2010) - Blackberry Tour 9630 (July 2009) - Dumbphones (pre-July 2009)

Global Posts
    3,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

It doesn't mean that the developer can remote into your phone and see all your naked pics. It means that should you have the desire to send a photo the App has the ability to read locally stored photos for you to select one to upload.

Beamed via my Nexus 7 from the AC Forums app.

Quote Originally Posted by preppystud View Post
    lots of people use chat programs, i am surprised that no one seems to find a solution for this possible hacking problem.
    What hacking problem? If you give the app permission then you authorized the activity, so there's no unauthorized access. By definition.

Because it is not a problem. Any chat program on any phone, tablet, laptop or PC has the same security concerns.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

so it is very likely that if the government want to spy someone, they can just do that thru the chat programs. and the user himself won't even be able to find out.

so it is very likely that if the government want to spy someone, they can just do that thru the chat programs. and the user himself won't even be able to find out.
    Yes. But they are already tracking and maybe listening to your cell phone calls and texts via the providers (AT&T, Verizon, etc), so why worry about chats?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

for the last few days ,some of my gallery photos became total gray. sometimes when i try to edit the gallery photos, the picture will become total gray. i usually delete them right away.

so it is kind of odd for me to see gray photos in the gallery, especially old photos became totally gray. i don't edit those old photos.

that is why i have this question. i don't know if it is due to the tablet itself or if indeed someone is spying my tablet thru the chat programs. and i am not a crazy person.

Global Posts
    5,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

for the last few days ,some of my gallery photos became total gray. sometimes when i try to edit the gallery photos, the picture will become total gray. i usually delete them right away.

so it is kind of odd for me to see gray photos in the gallery, especially old photos became totally gray. i don't edit those old photos.

that is why i have this question. i don't know if it is due to the tablet itself or if indeed someone is spying my tablet thru the chat programs. and i am not a crazy person.
    Due to the previously mentioned and alluded to safeguards (this topic is covered many times here), the odds that a person has sufficient access to your device, is interested in your data and photos and is actively retrieving that data on a somewhat regular basis, unless you specifically know someone that has had physical access to your device, has the required knowledge and a reason to spy on you, are astronomically low. They're above the odds us finding a living unicorn in the Brooklyn Zoo, but less than the odds of the same person being struck by lighting both an hour before and after a transatlantic flight. Means, motive and opportunity. The means is fairly difficult, the motive is almost non-existent unless it's a personal grudge and the opportunity would require either your cooperation or someone having your device in their hands to be most effective. It can be done remotely, but again, it's not worth the effort unless you're secretly Keira Knightley and those photos are of you sunbathing in Greece. Do you know someone who would hack your device to steal photos from you?

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Hey, we have a unicorn rancher on here, there must be unicorns!
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

it is not completely crazy to think that someone might be hacking your email accounts, your tablets, etc.

google created that just to alert people if someone is reading their emails from another location.

it is not completely crazy to think that someone might be hacking your email accounts, your tablets, etc.

google created that just to alert people if someone is reading their emails from another location.

If your worried about it don't put anything on your device that you would not post on a freeway billboard. I do try to do that.