Importing pics from SD cards into Nex7 2013

Mark Normand

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello to all, first post in the Nex7 fourm...

After years with Ipads and Iphones, thinking of getting my first Android tablet. I keep carefully looking them over at BestBuy and just can't decide, but the Nex7 2013 32gb AT&T is where I'm at now.

One of my main needs is having an easy way to upload pics from my SD equipped game cameras in the field to the tablet on the fly. If I buy an external SD cardreader with a micro-usb jack, example: Amazon.com: 3in1 USB Connection Kit HUB SD MMC TF Card Reader Adapter For OTG Mobile Phone: Cell Phones & Accessories .....
is it as simple as plugging that in the Nex7, inserting the SD card, and copying or moving the pics from the SD card to the tab's photo app/storage section/whatever? To take it one more step, I would need to create a folder for that particular upload session, view the pics then or later, and be able to easily delete that entire folder possibly containing hundreds of pics.

Part2 of that process... what about simply viewing pics while still on the SD card but not imported? Will the cardreader and Nex7 process them quick enough to be able to scroll rather quickly? Again there can be hundreds of pics on any given SD card.

Thanks much for any input on this subject !
Regards to all,
Mark

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Just add the Nexus Media Importer app and you will be fine.

I have an OTG cable and the app and can plug in any card reader or flash drive.

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I also use Nexus Media Importer to move photos to my N7. I use this in conjunction with a combined SD Reader - OTG interface that is an applique about the size of a half-dollar that plugs into the mini-port of the N7. No dangling OTG cable or stand-alone card reader required. This gadget accepts both full-size (out-of-the-camera) SD as well as micro SD.

I found this gadget on ebay for about $1.30 (shipping included)! Works great for full-screen photo viewing. Also, I keep a copy of camera instruction manual and other docs on the micro SD for reference.

Mark Normand

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks much gang, appreciate the help!

So how's the flipping through pics that are on the SD cards while plugged into the card reader? Can you swipe through them pretty quick? With game cams, it's common to have 25-50 pics of mostly the same thing, and need to get past those quickly to the next series. This is the reason I'm avoiding the small dedicated game camera previewer devices, they are slow and clunky, takes way too long to go through pics quickly.

With the IPad2, you were forced to upload the pics first, no scanning them on the card reader first. That caused probs when an SD card had hundreds of pics over 1-2 months of game cam use. Sometimes that many were over the 16GB IPad limits. One time I had 3000 pics on an SD card! Very unusual, but possible over months of continued use in the field.

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Nexus Media Importer is as fast as I need it to be. Sequence photos (jpeg or jpeg imbedded within RAW) as fast as you can swipe, or run these photos as a slideshow. Full screen or reduced size. Note that there is a free photo-only app subset from NIM so that you can try before buying.

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Meeneva is a good product, but it does not accept a full-sized SDHC card (directly from my camera) and is about 10x the price of the equivalent you can find on ebay.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech