1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cannot Find Camera Front-to-Back Switch Option

Hello, follow Android fans. I am having an issue with my Nexus 7 2013 (and yes, it's definitely a 2013 and not a 2012) running rooted with KitKat. I cannot for the life of me find the option to switch from the front to the back camera. I have read Google's instructions for the Camera app, but the switch option does not appear where the instructions say it should, nor is it in any menu in the app. Non-stock camera apps are similarly missing an option to switch, so could it be a driver issue? Is the OS not recognizing the back camera for some reason? I have searched high and wide for reports of a similar issue, but to no avail.

Again, there is definitely a camera back there. I like my face and all, but since the 2013 was nice enough to come with a back camera, I'd like to use it. Thanks!

Global Posts
    547 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP B4 JB/Franco M5

Default Re: Cannot Find Camera Front-to-Back Switch Option

Can you post a screenshot with the camera app open? And are you rooted or anything? Have you been able to use the front/back switch in the past?

He did mention that he was rooted.

Global Posts
    547 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP B4 JB/Franco M5

Quote Originally Posted by brosko View Post
    He did mention that he was rooted.
    You're right I missed that part, thanks!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

This is what the menu looks like when you tap the options circle (or elsewhere on the screen):

Cannot Find Camera Front-to-Back Switch Option-screenshot_2014-02-11-20-55-08.jpg

This is what the "More Options" menu looks like (the rightmost option on the first menu) :

Cannot Find Camera Front-to-Back Switch Option-screenshot_2014-02-11-20-56-32.jpg

None of these switch the camera. There also is no option to switch when you touch the camera icon.

I'm not certain if this is a new issue. I've had this for a few months, but hadn't had cause to fiddle with the camera until now. I have thought about doing a wipe and going back to a state prior to any of Google's OTA updates to see if that solves it, but that's a drastic measure I'd rather avoid. Thanks again.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

For the record, here's the camera icon menu:

Cannot Find Camera Front-to-Back Switch Option-screenshot_2014-02-11-21-13-43.jpg

You are missing the switch between front/back camera. I took a screenshot of my camera's options. You can see the switch you tap to toggle back/front camera as the option to the right of the settings selection. I wonder if you lost that when you rooted your phone?
    Cannot Find Camera Front-to-Back Switch Option-uploadfromtaptalk1392174767248.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PowrDroid; 02-11-2014 at 09:35 PM.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by PowrDroid View Post
    You are missing the switch between front/back camera. I took a screenshot of my camera's options. You can see the switch you tap to toggle back/front camera as the option to the right of the settings selection. I wonder if you lost that when you rooted your phone?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, that's what I'm wondering, too. I'm going to do a full backup and then try a reset. Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Vicenarian View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm wondering, too. I'm going to do a full backup and then try a reset. Any other ideas?
    Not really. I suppose you've tried Googling the problem as I did, and didn't find much of anything. Let us know how your reset turns out.