Nexus 7 stuck on Google logo screen on boot up

sc03979

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Add me to the group. Since the latest lollipop update I started having problems and now I got a Google logo on my screen. I can't get out of it.

sc03979

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Any idea if I swapped out the motherboard if that would fix the problem? I'm guessing that dealing with asus is going to be no fun and very time consuming.

Last edited:

AndroidNexus75

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I came to the same problem yesterday when I was watching Netflix on my Nexus 7(2013). It suddenly shutdown and reset itself and stucked on the Google screen. I tried to hard reset it, but Recovery mode stcked on Google screen too.

I got mine from Google store, so I called Google customer service and they tried to guide me through a hard reset again, but it did not work as before. So after they verified that I got my device from Google store, they offerd me a free replacement. They hold the full amount of the tablet on my credit card untill I send my tablet to them.

I just orderd my replacement, after I get it I should send my tablet to them (free shipping) and they will refund my money back (I hope). Just so you know I am getting a refurbished Nexus 7 just like mine. They siad they will hold the money to make sure that my tablet was not damaged and basically it is a software failure that Google is responsible for and Google's warranty will cover it. It is not the same as Asus warranty. I got my tablet a year and a half ago so Asus warranty is expired.

It seems like it is becomming a popular thing because they offred me a free replacement within 2 minutes.

Anyway, I will update the status of how the replacement device is and hopefully when I get my money back.

Hope it was helpfull!

nhowieson

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,
A small discovery that may or may not apply to you situation.
I am an Electronic Engineer by trade and so I often evaluate my products and how the put together.
I have had my 2013 Nexus 7 32G get stuck several times.
Most times it starts with the power on sequence and it will not unlock, the touch screen is non-responsive and it is also stuck on orientation.
After starting the Recovery mode sequence it has several times got stuck on the Google logo and will not go to the “No Command” screen.
Last time this happen I discovered this link and to my dismay the lack of a good resolve for many of you.
In the process of things I gave the left side of the tablet a good thump. It went immediately to the “No Command” screen and I could recover my device.
Here is my thoughts on the subject: inside most new smart devices is an orientation device. They are like 3 dimensional joysticks with a small cavity and a contact ball and sensors. It is the equivalent of a bubble level. The movement of the contact ball tells the device which way is up or level. I think during boot the Tablet senses the orientation and adjust accordingly if the orientation sensor gets stuck in an indeterminate position the tablet gets stuck in a loop waiting to valid orientation. When I gave the tablet a thump it loosened the sensor and I was back in business. 2nd option is poor workmanship on the PCB and an intermittent contact that got reset.
Your thoughts?

nhowieson

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,
A small discovery that may or may not apply to you situation.
I am an Electronic Engineer by trade and so I often evaluate my products and how the put together.
I have had my 2013 Nexus 7 32G get stuck several times.
Most times it starts with the power on sequence and it will not unlock, the touch screen is non-responsive and it is also stuck on orientation.
After starting the Recovery mode sequence it has several times got stuck on the Google logo and will not go to the “No Command” screen.
Last time this happen I discovered this link and to my dismay the lack of a good resolve for many of you.
In the process of things I gave the left side of the tablet a good thump. It went immediately to the “No Command” screen and I could recover my device.
Here is my thoughts on the subject: inside most new smart devices is an orientation device. They are like 3 dimensional joysticks with a small cavity and a contact ball and sensors. It is the equivalent of a bubble level. The movement of the contact ball tells the device which way is up or level. I think during boot the Tablet senses the orientation and adjust accordingly if the orientation sensor gets stuck in an indeterminate position the tablet gets stuck in a loop waiting to valid orientation. When I gave the tablet a thump it loosened the sensor and I was back in business. 2nd option is poor workmanship on the PCB and an intermittent contact that got reset.
Your thoughts?

Atif Khan7

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
it looks like these things are programmed to die after about two years, it cant be a coincidence that nexus 7 2013 are getting stuck on the same logo.
i would strongly suggest that in future google nexus should not be bought. i am in pakistan and bought it on amazon US , got it delivered to me and there is no way i can send it for repairs. this is upsetting....i hate google nexus...no more nexus for me,

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
it looks like these things are programmed to die after about two years, it cant be a coincidence that nexus 7 2013 are getting stuck on the same logo.
i would strongly suggest that in future google nexus should not be bought. i am in pakistan and bought it on amazon US , got it delivered to me and there is no way i can send it for repairs. this is upsetting....i hate google nexus...no more nexus for me,
Welcome to the forums!

Are you having the same issue after receiving the Lollipop update? Have you gone into recovery to clear cache or factory reset? If not, give those options a try, in that order, and see if it let's you boot.

ramin31

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
HOLY CROW!!!! I'm so glad that worked. I was freaking out for a few hours trying to figure out what went wrong.
I'm studying to be an electrical engineer atm. Your idea seems valid to me from my limited knowledge haha.
Thanks a lot.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
My wife's is doing this now. So annoying. Nothing works. I don't want to open the case and I'm definitely not paying to have it fixed... Not sure what to do.

Posted via Android Central App

oregonbruin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
My N7 (2013) did the same thing about 4 months out of warranty. I was using it one minute and a few hours later, it was stuck on the Google screen. My smart case was an aftermarket brand I got on Amazon. It was not the culprit. I tried the many remedies people have already mentioned but I gave up.

I contacted ASUS but they neglected to offer any real assistance other than try and tell me it would be $200 to fix. I was bummed but ultimately gave up entirely. I just listed it on Craigslist and sold it for $20. The guy who bought it said he was going to try and fix it as he had a friend who had success hooking it up to a PC and following one of the popular fixes. I hope he was able to get it working. I figured for $20 he either got a great deal of he fixed it or could part it out.

I'm still amazed at how many people this has affected. I decided to go with Samsung's Tab S 10.5 32GB version. Although I love the new one I do miss the N7. It was great for the time it worked.

Philip600rr

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. I was listening to Google music and reading when my Nexus 7 2013 32gb locked up on the Google splash screen. I banged on the back. It worked for a few days now it's dead and will not restart. I purchased it only a year and a half ago. I still have old blackberries and old Motorola razr flip phones in my electronic junk drawer that work and I have never had any mobile electronic device stop working. This is b.s. I know it's a affordable tablet but it should last a few more years. I will not buy another nexus phone or tablet.

Posted via the Android Central App and Note 4

Smaran Challapalli

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
You Just saved me a lot of trouble!
Was stuck on this once. Shipped to asus. The returned it with a software flash.
Now, one month after my warranty ran out, the issue returned again.
Saw a post here about the magnetic closure case being the culprit.
So, removed it and booted.
And, it actually works!
The case seems to be the culprit here.
Thank you!

NA8STRADAMUS

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
The really weird thing is, once it gets stuck in the Google logo "can't boot" (I can go into the boot menu, but won't go into recovery - gets stuck on Google again), there's a way I can always get it working. Hard power off, open it up, unclip and reseat the touchscreen cable (the thinner of the two cables across the back of the battery)... Then it's be straight back up and running perfectly.

I suspect that something in the boot sequence is trying to initialise the touch screen, and not handling an error state properly, causing it to hang... Fix the cable and it's fine again.
Thank you!! I was going crazy, and this worked. My touchscreen stopped responding, so I restarted my N7, and it was stuck on the Google screen. I've had problems with this screen before, and figured since it was a replacement I would continue to have those issues. Today was the 2nd time the screen completely stopped working, but the first time it got stuck on the Google screen. Works perfect again!

Philip600rr

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Same thing just happened to my wife's nexus 7......2 different tablets bought 3 months apart. I'm Gunna try to flash both tablets.

Posted via the Android Central App and Note 4

Lynn Weston

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I have a similar issue except mine goes from the google logo to no command I can get to bootloader or recovery menu but nothing happens. If I leave it it just cycles from no command to the google logo and back to the dead android no command screen any help would be apreciated.
I got mine in Jan 2014 from Amazon...
Since it's stuck in no command land I cant boot it up to see what the last software update was...

Last edited:

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
It would be helpful if people indicated what version of Android they're running on the affected tablet. Clearly the problem was reported before Lollipop, though apparently Lollipop didn't cure the problem and apparently in a number of cases brought it on (where there had been no problem before). So are you using KitKat 4.4.x, Lollipop 5.0, 5.01, 5.02, or 5.1?

gadgetgirl3

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I am on 5.0.2 and have the same problem. Have had at least 2 instances where touch screen quit responding. Rebooting fixed it. Thus morning took tablet off charger - nothing. Won't go past Google splash screen and won't go into recovery. Plugged it into PC, went into fastboot. Recognized by ADB, recognizes command to OEM unlock, select Yes to proceed, then nothing! Quits responding. So can't flash a factory image or factory reset. I tried the unclip , reseat touchscreen cable method. Didn't work. Still stuck at Google splash screen. Out of ideas!

I have rooted, flashed custom ROMs and resurrected many devices, but this one has me stumped!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX