Nexus 7 stuck on Google logo screen on boot up

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Mine died last night, I picked it up and could not get the screen to come on. Held down the power key and now stuck at the Google logo. Went into recovery and see that it looks like not much to nothing can be mounted so add another one to the list. Tried knocking it around a bit will try more tonight, much harder since it is well out of warranty and no way am I paying $200 for a new MB! This sucks, I really liked the N7.

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm a proud member of this club as of 5/23/2015. I've tried everything and so far nothing is working. I purchased it via Amazon in August 2013 and just yesterday boom it was unresponsive then stuck at Google screen...I really love this tablet but this is the pits.

tommi_s

May 24, 2015
Visit site
so my problem is your problem, too!

device went dead while using "here" maps, and ever since does not get past the Google logon screen. Bootloader could be started, but wiping the cache or the data did not solve the problem. The recovery mode however has some log lines appearing at the bottom of the screen which report:
E: failed to mount /cache (invalid argument)
and after a few more subdir mounting errors also
E:failed closing /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc (I/O error)
tapping the tablet does not help, unplugging the battery or detaching the ribbon cables neither

this is an nexus 7 2013 32G LTE version, with the latest system update having come a few weeks ago (the second 5.something)

I suppose there is nothing to do but wait and see if Asus (or Google?) will initiate a repair program.

Roger Matthews2

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Last week Amazon Warehouse advertised and sent me the wrong version, Wi-Fi only instead of LTE, so mine is going back. Was doing a factory reset with the Nexus Root Toolkit and everything was going fine until the reboot, when it stopped at "Google." Have gone into Recovery Mode and run wipe data/reset and wipe cache, and tapped and banged a little on all sides, but no luck. Have a post on the XDA forums asking for help, but am guessing this will go back to Amazon as is, with a note about how their sloppiness and how many of these N7 2013's are freezing up.

Last edited:

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I had mine die on me 3-4 weeks ago, ended up finding a used but tested and working, motherboard for $25. Got it replaced last night and all's well again. Up to 5.1.1 and no random reboots yet. Hopefully the flash memory on this one is good.

Cheers!

Android5150

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I was playing game on my Nexus 7 (5.0.2) this morning and it froze. I turned it off and then back on and encountered the google screen. I searched for solutions and found someone on the this thread said to whack it couple times. I did whack it few times and it works now. Happy Camper!

hdomingu

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
First the wonky touch screen issues and now my tablet stopped working out of no where smh. I love this little tablet but it has had so many issues. I also tried hitting it on the back a couple of times and that worked for me too....for now.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
My wifes Nexus 7 has just suffered the same fate. as others
- Stuck on Google
- can't unlock
- can't fastboot erase cache etc.

Bugger!

DIY motherboard replacement is fairly easy if you can find one to buy at a reasonable price.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

tomhands

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone,
Hope this might help someone. I was having similar problems: my N7 2013 WiFi was stuck on the google screen after I tried to reset it because the touchscreen wasn't responding. I decided to take my chances trying to reseat the digitizer cable as recommended above, but this didn't work. There's another cable that runs across the back of the battery (motherboard -> daughterboard cable? not sure, not an expert on this stuff) so I thought I'd give that one a go as well. I nudged both ends of it into their respective sockets to make sure they were well seated and boom, my N7 fired into life. I hope someone else has some luck with this!

cptsashimi

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'll be a monkeys uncle. I tried everything to get my daughter's nexus 7 to boot past the Google screen with no success. I was even finally able to get the latest firmware flashed but still couldn't get past the Google screen then I found this thread, knocking on the back/side worked. When I have more time I will take the back off and check the cables.
Thanks to all who contributed.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

fee dee cat

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
*****sigh*****.....my 2nd gen Nexus 7 also did this today. I had tried all the tricks by pressing power and volume buttons to no avail. Would always return to GOOGLE on screen and no further action. Happy to say I read about knocking on the back. I knocked a couple times with my TV remote ... And voila...It rebotted and came back up. Thanks for the hints of possible remedies. I guess I need to backup my info. Looks like it may be about to tap out anytime! Thanks

Xbull

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi Fellas,

I found the solution for this annoying Google logo screen error message which I was not able to resolve for atleast 1 month. But finally some how i was able to figure out how to get rid of this problem. Dint try this with other Nexus devices but i am sure it will be working with those as well.

What you need to do in this case is just drain out battery of your Google Nexus tab to 0% attach it to the charger when it is half charged like about 2 to 3 % so that you can restart it! start it up so that it can come up to Google logo, let it be charging for about 6-7 hours continuously even if it is fully charged until it come back to home screen fine. Worked for me in just 4 hours ! :):)

After some time you will notice that your Tab is back to the Home screen absolutely fine.

Enjoy !!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Xbull

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi Fellas,

I found the solution for this annoying Google logo screen error message which I was not able to resolve for atleast 1 month. But finally some how i was able to figure out how to get rid of this problem. Dint try this with other Nexus devices but i am sure it will be working with those as well.

What you need to do in this case is just drain out battery of your Google Nexus tab to 0% attach it to the charger when it is half charged like about 2 to 3 % so that you can restart it! start it up so that it can come up to Google logo, let it be charging for about 6-7 hours continuously even if it is fully charged until it come back to home screen fine. Worked for me in just 4 hours !

After some time you will notice that your Tab is back to the Home screen absolutely fine.

Enjoy !!!!!

resmart67

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Be very careful of cases that have the magnetic sleep switch activator in them. I saw several references to this being a possible cause of nonresponse touch screens and getting frozen at the Google screen. I can trim you this is almost certainly true. I had no problem with my nexus 7 until I started using a case with a magnet in it to active the sleep sensor. Within a couple weeks I started experiencing freeze-ups and finally ended up such at the Google screen. I took out out of the magnetic case, left it sit unused for several days (to let any residual magnetism dissipate) then tried the procedure for restarting the boot-loader from the recovery mode screen. It has worked find ever since. Needless to say, I am no longer using a case with magnets in it.

gadgetgirl3

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi Fellas,

What you need to do in this case is just drain out battery of your Google Nexus tab to 0% attach it to the charger when it is half charged like about 2 to 3 % so that you can restart it! start it up so that it can come up to Google logo, let it be charging for about 6-7 hours continuously even if it is fully charged until it come back to home screen fine. Worked for me in just 4 hours !

Enjoy !!!!!
I think you got lucky here. It appears to be a motherboard problem. I tried this and nothing. Don't even get the Google logo splash screen any more.

gadgetgirl3

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Be very careful of cases that have the magnetic sleep switch activator in them. I saw several references to this being a possible cause of nonresponse touch screens and getting frozen at the Google screen. I can trim you this is almost certainly true. I had no problem with my nexus 7 until I started using a case with a magnet in it to active the sleep sensor. Within a couple weeks I started experiencing freeze-ups and finally ended up such at the Google screen. I took out out of the magnetic case, left it sit unused for several days (to let any residual magnetism dissipate) then tried the procedure for restarting the boot-loader from the recovery mode screen. It has worked find ever since. Needless to say, I am no longer using a case with magnets in it.
Mine has always been in a sleeve, never in a magnetic case.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance