Nexus 7 stuck on Google logo screen on boot up

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I had a unit that was doing this so I tried the slap trick and one of the ribbon cables came lose from the board and the solder broke loose. I ended up going from a 32gb unit and then found a 16gb replacement for about $20 on ebay. Careful slapping too hard.

MParentWetmore

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
In the process of things I gave the left side of the tablet a good thump. It went immediately to the “No Command” screen and I could recover my device.

Please read nhowieson full answer, it is response #44 on page 2.

Dear nhowieson, THANK YOU, your "thump suggestion", worked! I hit the back of my Nexus 2014 against the palm of my hand 3 times and it rebooted. I tried numerous other fixes, but I couldn't get past the Google logo screen. I have now been able to save my 1000 ebooks by copying them over to my desktop, all thanks to YOU. <3

Last edited:

anon(231731)

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Holy ****.

N7 2013 crashed/froze and then stuck at Google logo for the last 3 days while on travel. Don't have a Windows PC, so I've been trying to figure out how to ADB from my Chromebook...

Didn't have Dev mode enabled, and didn't want to erase everything on my Chromebook to do it.

Stumbled upon this after an hour of googling the issue...and the ******* slap method worked!!! While it was stuck on the Google logo, I just slapped the back against my palm a few times near the top and then a few times near the bottom. Then it boots right up as normal. I seriously can't believe it. Boo on Asus HW, but thanks OP!!! I now have a functioning tablet again (for now, until I have to slap it around again :)

Thanks OP!!!! :cool:

Stax78

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
It works, thanks. I was worried I'd have to pay out for someone to fix it.

Hey, so do you have a magentic closure case, and is it still on when you try this?

I didn't have any issues until I bought a new case (love the case), and then the boot loader issue as described here, Google words only no matter what.

I remove the case, and it powered on without issue.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen something similar?

trfoto

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Amazing, thanks for the thump tip. Popped it real good on the right side and got the dancing color spots and now back in business. I like your notion that the orientation mode has something to do with some sort of interrupt. Also, I downloaded yesterday, prior to the freeze up, a Clinometer app and now wonder if it mangled the orientation mode. Regardless, many thanks.

Martin Tenghagen

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Ahh thanks. Magnetic Case problem also for Me. The case have been causing no problems before. Or that I slapped it while removing the case

You Just saved me a lot of trouble!
Was stuck on this once. Shipped to asus. The returned it with a software flash.
Now, one month after my warranty ran out, the issue returned again.
Saw a post here about the magnetic closure case being the culprit.
So, removed it and booted.
And, it actually works!
The case seems to be the culprit here.
Thank you!

George Cook

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Stuck on Google screen for two hours. Took off the Poetic case and rapped the back of my N7 against the corner of my desk, and it started booting up. Seems all right now. :p

DKahmer

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
"After over a year of reliable use, the recent Lollipop update cause some odd behaviour from my N7 2013... First after a few days, the auto rotate stops working (a reboot usually gets it back, but not always), then after a few days it locks up (no touch screen) and a hard power reset gets stuck at the Google logo..

After a couple of these I down graded to KK, complete wipe... No problems... Now with 5.0.2 I thought I'd try Lollipop again... It took about a week, and it started doing it again.

The really weird thing is, once it gets stuck in the Google logo "can't boot" (I can go into the boot menu, but won't go into recovery - gets stuck on Google again), there's a way I can always get it working. Hard power off, open it up, unclip and reseat the touchscreen cable (the thinner of the two cables across the back of the battery)... Then it's be straight back up and running perfectly.

I suspect that something in the boot sequence is trying to initialise the touch screen, and not handling an error state properly, causing it to hang... Fix the cable and it's fine again.

I'll replace the cable at some point I'm sure."

I've had this issue for two years. Every few months I'd pick up the table and see if there was anything new I could try to get it back. This is the first time I've seen to try this, and your comment that has gotten my Nexus 7 back to the world of the living. I'm truly eternally grateful.

Savag3121

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Tried all the above. Slapped it silly. Wiped it and factory reset it. Taken back off and disconnected battery and reconnected it. Nothing.

Now threatened to cheat on it by buying another tablet (cheaper) but nothing.

Any ideas?

troglo

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Stuck on Google screen for two hours. Took off the Poetic case and rapped the back of my N7 against the corner of my desk, and it started booting up. Seems all right now. :p
SOLVED !!! My screen was frozen without any touch controls working. I power off and when I power on, only the Google screen showed, after multiple resets and despair I found this thread and as soon I started to remove my case with magnetic lock it started to load.

Hopelessavsfan

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
So my tablet is also doing this. Beating in it did nothing, going to recovery mode is says "No command" then eventually back to the swirling circles?? Restart boot loader does nothing. Guess it's probably headed for the trash??

DoroteoArango

Feb 16, 2017
Visit site
This is dumb, but I found it in another forum and worked for me. I restarted in recovery mode and while the google screen appeared I tapped in the back of my nexus until the little green robot appeared. After that it took around 3-5 minutes to start successfully. The first time I couldn't believe it. I rebooted it with no issues after that. Then I let the battery drain, of course it was not starting, so I connected it to the power cable, when I tried to restart it again, it was again stuck at the google logo. I tried the same solution and it worked. I know it's dumb, that makes me think some physical component is not working, who knows.

lichuan

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Hi All,
Last time this happen I discovered this link and to my dismay the lack of a good resolve for many of you.
In the process of things I gave the left side of the tablet a good thump. It went immediately to the “No Command” screen and I could recover my device.
Here is my thoughts on the subject: inside most new smart devices is an orientation device. They are like 3 dimensional joysticks with a small cavity and a contact ball and sensors. It is the equivalent of a bubble level. The movement of the contact ball tells the device which way is up or level. I think during boot the Tablet senses the orientation and adjust accordingly if the orientation sensor gets stuck in an indeterminate position the tablet gets stuck in a loop waiting to valid orientation. When I gave the tablet a thump it loosened the sensor and I was back in business. 2nd option is poor workmanship on the PCB and an intermittent contact that got reset.
Your thoughts?

The stuck-at-Google-logo issue seems to really have to do with a bad orientation sensor in this case.

My 4 years old Nexus 7 2013 started to act up strangely with auto-rotating since several months. Today morning I woke up to find the screen nearly unresponsive to touch and rotating. My last recollection with it is my son holding it and bumping around in the room last evening. The normal reboot went straight to the Google logo and stuck. The bootloader is accessible but the recovery reboot did the same.

A seemingly unlikely solution from one poster above saved my day:
1. Take out the device from any magnetic case that it is in
2. Slap its right bottom corner with moderate force
3. Turn it on again.

Good luck with yours!

sweetpepper13

May 27, 2017
Visit site
I created an account just so I could say thank you to you guys!

This happened to my tablet yesterday and I read online about doing a factory reset (effectively wiping the device) if holding the power button for 30 secs didn't work. Well, neither of those worked and I was dreading having to take it to the repair shop so I kept googling till I came across this page.

I CANNOT BELIEVE that slapping the darn thing made it work again! That was so simple it was hilarious! Hugely grateful to you all. You saved me hours of frustration and the loss of data and money!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7