how long can you use this thing without rebooting manually? or automatically?

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
i sent it for 3 repairs, they changed the motherboard, too.

i just had another random reboot! last time i rebooted it myself was 10 days ago. i wasn't playing any games, etc. i was only looking at the screen.

i wonder maybe it is because i didn't restart for a long time, so the internal memory, etc start to malfunction, etc? they already replaced the motherboard, what else can go wrong? or maybe it is really the problems of the tablet's design?

---
question 2. do you power off often or you never power it off?

i read the consumer reports, it suggested that to restart smart phones. they are like computers, they need restart to clean up all the internal problems, etc?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never had to manually reboot my Nexus 7 for any glitch, and I've had it for a while. I've noticed that you have frequent problems with your devices--you're either very unlucky (which I've commented on before), or there might be some specific app that you're very accustomed to installing on all of your devices that destabilizes the system. Can you list all of the apps that you have installed?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I shut my devices down every night when I go to bed at around 10pm and turn them on again in the morning when I get up at 6am. I don't have any reboot problems to speak of, but then again my device is never on more than 18hrs max at a time. I don't know what to tell you.

Barracuda7772

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I've had my nexus 7 2013 since late Nov last year and ive rebooted like 5 times.... Zero random reboots. Very fast and very stable.

I suggest booting into safe mode (disables third party apps) and see if you still have issues if yes then it's an unfortunate hardware issue. If no then it's a misbehaving app.

If its an app uninstall apps you installed around the time you fist noticed the issues

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MilnerR

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for 2 months and it hasn't been switched off since I got it out of the box. Always on, always rock solid. I was a bit concerned about all the horror stories but so far all is (very) well.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I shut down my tablet and my phone every day. I have no need to have them on 24/7 and in my opinion all devices should be periodically rebooted from time to time just to "clear up their heads".

Paul Caskey

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had my nexus 7 2013 since late Nov last year and ive rebooted like 5 times.... Zero random reboots. Very fast and very stable.
Lucky punk. ;) Mine still restarted in safe mode, about 5-10 minutes after it booted, just sitting there, doing nothing! I'm off to hardware replacement land. Ugh this is going to be painful. Where do I start? Asus.com?

Barracuda7772

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Lucky punk. ;) Mine still restarted in safe mode, about 5-10 minutes after it booted, just sitting there, doing nothing! I'm off to hardware replacement land. Ugh this is going to be painful. Where do I start? Asus.com?

Sorry I really don't know I've never had to deal with them. Sounds like the battery ribbon might be loose but don't quote me on it.

They should send you 2 new ones for your trouble.

Paul Caskey

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Haha, okay, this is good, since I just made the mistake of going to ASUS Service | North America ON my Nexus 7 - which of course crashed in Chrome while filling out their form! (reboot) I give up ... I want to throw this thing in the trash. :'(
  1. Contact Us through support.google.com
  2. Fill out that short online form, giving the serial#, and description of problem and steps already done
  3. Get immediate callback/connect from Google, followed by quick connect with Google Human
  4. Google Human has none of the information I typed, so start from scratch.
  5. Ask, Really?! You don't have *anything* I JUST TYPED TO INITIATE THIS CALL?
  6. No. They don't have it.
  7. Describe problem.
  8. Oh, wait: If you purchased the device from the Google Play Store (they sell hardware?!), then Google supports it directly.
  9. In my case, no. I could not actually remember where I got it, but it was at a retail counter in my town.
  10. Google Human then transfered me to the Asus phone support queue.
  11. Asus Human answered after a few minutes. She of course had no information. Start over explaining problem.
  12. Asus Human does speak English, but sounds far away, but don't dare re-connect to try for a better connection.
  13. Meanwhile try the asus web form, which was so slow to load, and unreliable, even on a desktop in Firefox, it was useless.
  14. Painfully spell name, address, serial#, etc.etc, over cell phone to Asus Human, who reads everything back in excruciating detail.
  15. Close eyes and slowly bang head on desk while listening to Asus Human go through scripts.
  16. This includes finding and reading the Nexus 7 WiFI MAC Address to human, because the 8-digit serial# as shown in Settings is not recognized by Asus Human as a valid Asus product serial#.
  17. Ultimately receive Asus RMA# and, hopefully, a prepaid shipping label coming in the mail.
  18. Fear now that because of a couple of small nicks on the side of the tablet, the whole request will be denied.
  19. Rummage through attic for semi-automatic handgun. Begin planning 3-state pyscho killing spree. ;)

Total time on phone call: 34 minutes.

I hate phone support and having to ship tech objects back/forth through the mail!! Ugh!!!! :mad:
THis is why I put this off, for so long, hoping this was a software issue!

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Let me copy n paste what I just wrote in responding to another that about reboots.
"I have this same problem on my 2nd nexus 7 device where it would randomly reboot after updating some google apps and then the launcher failed to open correctly. The fix to this problem is to update the android OS. Somehow the shipped OS is corrupted that prevented me from auto updating it. Had to manually flash a new OS update and the random reboot is gone!"

Barracuda7772

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
  1. Contact Us through support.google.com
  2. Fill out that short online form, giving the serial#, and description of problem and steps already done
  3. Get immediate callback/connect from Google, followed by quick connect with Google Human
  4. Google Human has none of the information I typed, so start from scratch.
  5. Ask, Really?! You don't have *anything* I JUST TYPED TO INITIATE THIS CALL?
  6. No. They don't have it.
  7. Describe problem.
  8. Oh, wait: If you purchased the device from the Google Play Store (they sell hardware?!), then Google supports it directly.
  9. In my case, no. I could not actually remember where I got it, but it was at a retail counter in my town.
  10. Google Human then transfered me to the Asus phone support queue.
  11. Asus Human answered after a few minutes. She of course had no information. Start over explaining problem.
  12. Asus Human does speak English, but sounds far away, but don't dare re-connect to try for a better connection.
  13. Meanwhile try the asus web form, which was so slow to load, and unreliable, even on a desktop in Firefox, it was useless.
  14. Painfully spell name, address, serial#, etc.etc, over cell phone to Asus Human, who reads everything back in excruciating detail.
  15. Close eyes and slowly bang head on desk while listening to Asus Human go through scripts.
  16. This includes finding and reading the Nexus 7 WiFI MAC Address to human, because the 8-digit serial# as shown in Settings is not recognized by Asus Human as a valid Asus product serial#.
  17. Ultimately receive Asus RMA# and, hopefully, a prepaid shipping label coming in the mail.
  18. Fear now that because of a couple of small nicks on the side of the tablet, the whole request will be denied.
  19. Rummage through attic for semi-automatic handgun. Begin planning 3-state pyscho killing spree. ;)

Total time on phone call: 34 minutes.

I hate phone support and having to ship tech objects back/forth through the mail!! Ugh!!!! :mad:
THis is why I put this off, for so long, hoping this was a software issue!

Just be glad they didn't tell you the usual...... Turn it off and on again..... But seriously customer care always sucks no matter what company it is. Just breath lol I hear Asus support is pretty good once you sort through all the bull****

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Just be glad they didn't tell you the usual...... Turn it off and on again..... But seriously customer care always sucks no matter what company it is. Just breath lol I hear Asus support is pretty good once you sort through all the bull****

Funny I have heard just the opposite.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
don't talk to them on the phone, just chat them online, it is better, because you don't have to read everything to them, they can just see it on screen clearly.

---
about my original question, i am SURPRISED AGAIN! i thought that if you leave your tablet always on for a while, it is bound to have problems. but i am so surprised that some of you have had it on for several months, it still didn't reboot by itself. i was thinking about shutting it down every night just to see if it will have any new rebooting.

after 3 repairs, motherboard replacement, i still had two random reboots. once while i was finishing taking a picture, once when i was just simply looking at the screen. i will wait and see.

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I have not had random reboots, but I have had it shut down while charging. It powers back on with no problems.

Posted via Android Central App