Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    635 Global Posts

Default How do I backup and restore my Nexus 7 (2013)?

I've searched for a step-by-step tutorial and nothing seems to provide me with what I want. I'm relatively new to Android and I'm not completely aware of the dangers that may occur when restoring it to it's factory settings. The reason I need to do this is because I've been having problems with the sensitivity of the touch screen. Thanks in advance for any help

Global Posts
    583 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Default Re: How do I backup and restore my Nexus 7 (2013)?

Quote Originally Posted by ruhban View Post
    I've searched for a step-by-step tutorial and nothing seems to provide me with what I want. I'm relatively new to Android and I'm not completely aware of the dangers that may occur when restoring it to it's factory settings. The reason I need to do this is because I've been having problems with the sensitivity of the touch screen. Thanks in advance for any help
    Dangers? You mean other than losing your Data? Other than that there are no "Dangers" . If the reset does not fix it, its almost certain that you have a hardware problem. (As in Warranty repair)

Reset your Nexus 7 to factory settings

To reset your Nexus 7 to factory settings, please follow these steps:

Note: By performing a factory data reset, all data will be wiped from the device. While any data stored in your Google Account will be restored, all apps and their associated data will be uninstalled.
    Go to Settings > Backup & reset.
    Touch Factory data reset.
    Touch Reset tablet.
    If your tablet is password protected, you'll be prompted to enter your Pattern, PIN, or Password.
    Touch Erase everything to confirm.
    Alternatively, follow these steps:

If your tablet is on, power it off.
    Press and hold Power until the device powers on, then immediately press and hold Volume Down (while still pressing Power). You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.
    Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.
    Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
    While holding down Power, press Volume Up.
    Use the volume keys to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press Power to select it.
    Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press Power to select it.
    Note: If at any point during the above steps your tablet becomes unresponsive, you can restart it by holding down the power button for several seconds.
    N5 Black 32GB (4.4.4), N4 (4.4.4), iphone 5 (ios 8), ONE+64GB, N7(5.0 "L") AT&T The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
    Thanked by:
    ruhban 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    635 Global Posts

And how would I go about backing it up?

Posted via Android Central App

What do you need to back up? You can connect it to a PC and copy any photos, videos, music or documents. As for apps, they will all come back when you re-sign into your Google account. Settings and data as well if the developer of the app included that.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Thanked by:
    ruhban 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    635 Global Posts

How would i back up app settings and other data?

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    635 Global Posts

How long is it supposed to take to wipe?
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    635 Global Posts

So I've done a reset. I backed up all of my data through Windows Explorer and saved every single file and folder. I've copied them over to my Nexus through the same method however it seems none of the apps are showing up. What do I do?

After a factory reset, it should have been like when you first got it. It asks for your gmail account info and then asks if you want to restore your apps. Also, you restore the apps before you copy anything back. Also, did your settings look like this before you wiped it?

How do I backup and restore my Nexus 7 (2013)?-screenshot_2014-02-19-15-32-38.jpg
    Pat

Chromecast
    Thanked by:
    ruhban 
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    635 Global Posts

Yup been through all of that. I used Carbon to back everything up before I copied and pasted all of the folders from my 7 to my PC. Now that I've pasted everything back to it, nothing seems to appear. How can I make it work?

I don't think it is a matter of pasting folder back. With apps like Carbon you simply do the backup, factory reset the phone and then go through setup again but skip the option to restore your apps. Then reinstall Carbon and run the restore option and let it put everything back. Don't think of it like a Windows backup/re-install. One caveat, if 1 or more of your apps caused any of the issues in the first place it is gonna happen again.
    Pat

Chromecast
    Thanked by:
    ruhban 
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    635 Global Posts

It's a hardware fault so I've had to use Asus' crappy service to try and get it repaired. Their website can't even recognise my serial number. Never buying anything Asus again. I've had an Asus laptop with horrible build quality and a loose battery. Absolute bullsh*t.

On the Backup and Reset screen, my backup account is grayed out and says that there is no account that it is backing up to. When I touch it, it won't let me enter an account. Backup and restore are checked but I can't seem to enter an account. Any idea how I enter an account?

Thanks.

Single Click Backup & Restore your Android Phones.. Mobogenie has now made it possible to backup an Android device on a Windows PC. Install Mobogenie on PC, launch it after installation and connect your device.Enable USB-debugging on your Android device to use Mobogenie.Mobogenie: All-in-one Android Smartphone PC Manager
    Thanked by:
    ruhban 
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    635 Global Posts

I'll give that a go if I ever need to back it up but the problem is restoring the device. If it lets me do that then I'll definitely check it out.

Posted via my Z10 using Android Central App