Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By brosko
  • 1 Post By gerryp123
  • 2 Post By patruns
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why does start-up take so long ??

The time from button-press to "icons on screen" takes about 30 sec. With wifi, gps, bluetooth disabled the time from "icons on screen" to notifications and calendar widget data on screen takes about another 60 sec.

Why so long? What can I do to shorten this start-up time? Only about eight processes running at start-up . None of these attempting to synch.

Default Re: Why does start-up take so long ??

Why do you turn you device off. Mine has been up for weeks. When I close the case it goes to sleep. It only uses a few percent of battery a night.

Posted via Android Central App

My question is the same as Jerry's. Why power down? Why not just either quickly tap the button to go into sleep mode (from which you can waken instantly) or get something like the Poetic slimline case which acts like a "smart cover" and automatically puts it to sleep and wakes it up when the cover is shut and opened.

I also almost never turn the device off. I don't on my iPad either. Or my iPhone. Or my MacBook Pro. There generally is no need to turn the device off.

doug
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Choosing "Off" or "Sleep" is a matter of personal preference. I once used "sleep" exclusively but got tired of chasing down wake-locks and other annoyances that deleted battery charge. Google does a lot of this. Now I "Sleep" for short intervals between sessions, and I'm "Off" for several-hour intervals (like overnight).

I then need to deal with the long boot-up time following "Off". Hoping to reduce this with some good Forum advice. (Of course frequent boot-up also robs battery power. Wonder how much?)

Quote Originally Posted by gerryp123 View Post
    With wifi, gps, bluetooth disabled the time from "icons on screen" to notifications and calendar widget data on screen takes about another 60 sec.
    It may be that without wifi enabled, the system is taking extra time trying to see if it can refresh some of the widget data before giving up and posting what it has already.

Also, do you have auto-sync enabled or disabled? If it's enabled when you power on without wifi being on, perhaps it's also trying to do a sync upon powering on (but can't because there's no data connection), which might delay the appearance of some widget data.

By the way, 30-60 seconds is pretty good for startup. My N7's startup takes 81 seconds, according to All-in-One Toolbox.
    Thanked by:
    kct1975 likes this.

With wifi, gps, bluetooth disabled the time from "icons on screen" to notifications and calendar widget data on screen takes about another 60 sec.
    The slow loading of widgets is definitely a shortcoming of the new OS. Jelly Bean displayed widgets almost instantly; KitKat is at least ten times slower in this regard. I don't think that anything can be done about it. One can only wait for the next update.

Choosing "Off" or "Sleep" is a matter of personal preference. I once used "sleep" exclusively but got tired of chasing down wake-locks and other annoyances that deleted battery charge. Google does a lot of this. Now I "Sleep" for short intervals between sessions, and I'm "Off" for several-hour intervals (like overnight).

I then need to deal with the long boot-up time following "Off". Hoping to reduce this with some good Forum advice. (Of course frequent boot-up also robs battery power. Wonder how much?)
    I shut mine off every night too. I don't think your boot up time is that bad at all.
    Thanked by:
    kct1975 likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Left my N7 on overnight and lost only 2% battery -- not bad. Also saw about a dozen wake-locks (1 sec or less).

I'll probably continue to turn N7 off overnight and let it sleep as required during the day. If Android is anything like Windows, an occasional cold boot allows the OS to do some housecleaning and put things back in order.
    Thanked by:
    kct1975 likes this.

Left my N7 on overnight and lost only 2% battery -- not bad. Also saw about a dozen wake-locks (1 sec or less).

I'll probably continue to turn N7 off overnight and let it sleep as required during the day. If Android is anything like Windows, an occasional cold boot allows the OS to do some housecleaning and put things back in order.
    That's what I think. I think part of the reason why I have no weird issues with my device is because it gets a "refresh" everyday. A lot of these people on here complaining about problems have noted that a reboot usually fixes them. I guess never get to that stage of having problems as in reboot everyday.

I turn off all my devices when not is use, even my phone. I think I avoid a lot of little issues people seem to have by rebooting from time to time.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Thanked by:
    kct1975 and brosko like this.