Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 or the 2013 N7?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't like to admit it, but I'm currently using the Ipad Air
Me too. Be proud, you have a great tablet.

To the OP. The a nexus 7 and the TP 8.4 seem to offer to very different experiences. Do you want the simpler Nexus experience or the complex Samsung experience?

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Me too. Be proud, you have a great tablet.

To the OP. The a nexus 7 and the TP 8.4 seem to offer to very different experiences. Do you want the simpler Nexus experience or the complex Samsung experience?

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

I have the Ipad Air and the Nexus 5 - best of both worlds I think

wardawgmalvicious

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013, love both of them and I'll never get another kind of phone or tablet I'm pretty sure, but a lot of it depends on what you want to do with your tablet I believe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I was so close to getting the Nexus 7, but with the Nexus 5 i didnt see the point in the 7. I had the Nexus 4 and first gen Nexus 7 and hardly used the Nexus 7 as I felt it was just a bigger vesion of the phone

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
There's a big difference in how I handle a 7-inch and 8+-inch tablet. The 7-inch is comfortable to hold in one hand, and also to thumb type like a phone using both hands. The 8+-inch is too big for either. So this is something to consider (my hands are of average size).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
There's a big difference in how I handle a 7-inch and 8+-inch tablet. The 7-inch is comfortable to hold in one hand, and also to thumb type like a phone using both hands. The 8+-inch is too big for either. So this is something to consider (my hands are of average size).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

For either I wouldn't imagine one-handed use would be a large priority. However, the older and cheaper Nexus 7 is also lighter.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I personally think 7 inch tablets are too small and that 8 inch hits the sweet spot. If it were me, I'd pony up the extra dough and get the tab pro 8.4 ( or lg g pad or iPad mini). Of course you have to know how you will use it. I agree with the statement that when I had a nexus 7 it just felt like a big version of my nexus 4 and I used it but the not the same way I use my larger tablet. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah big body small screen and thin side bezel that contributes to the screen sensitivity issues. In size it's 95% of a Tab 3 8.0 body with 92% of a Tab 3 7.0 screen viewing area. Or thereabouts.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I had Nexus7 screen touch sensitivity issues on multiple samples. I just figured it was yet another example Asus' lack of QC on their tablets. I've had QC issues with their tablets in the past so was not at all surprised.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Yeah big body small screen and thin side bezel that contributes to the screen sensitivity issues. In size it's 95% of a Tab 3 8.0 body with 92% of a Tab 3 7.0 screen viewing area. Or thereabouts.

You hit the nail on the head with this statement!
This is the problem with the n7.

Mike T1

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I do thumb typing (with both hands) on my new Tab Pro 8.4. My thumbs are about average in length. It's comfortable for me. I can even comfortably thumb type on the rMini (a slightly wider device). Maybe it's something you get used to. But I never could get used to thumb typing on my iPad Air. That's just painful.

IMO, the N7 is portable enough to take with you everywhere in your pockets like a phone (assuming fairly large pockets), whereas the Tab Pro 8.4 is something you'd carry around in your bag or use on the couch... different level of portability.

With my Tab Pro 8.4, I feel the screen is large enough to do most things comfortably while thumb typing, sitting back on the couch (browsing the web, writing emails, chatting, editing documents, watching movies). I feel restricted trying to interact with web pages or multi-pane apps on a 7" screen.

Last edited:

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I do thumb typing (with both hands) on my new Tab Pro 8.4. My thumbs are about average in length. It's comfortable for me. I can even comfortably thumb type on the rMini (a slightly wider device). Maybe it's something you get used to. But I never could get used to thumb typing on my iPad Air. That's just painful.

IMO, the N7 is portable enough to take with you everywhere in your pockets like a phone (assuming fairly large pockets), whereas the Tab Pro 8.4 is something you'd carry around in your bag or use on the couch... different level of portability.

With my Tab Pro 8.4, I feel the screen is large enough to do most things comfortably while thumb typing, sitting back on the couch (browsing the web, writing emails, chatting, editing documents, watching movies). I feel restricted trying to interact with web pages or multi-pane apps on a 7" screen.

The 8.4 has more pixels and more 'oomph' than my 7.0 LTE surely, I think on paper it is faster than the N7 in pretty much everything but some feel Touchwiz holds the Samsung devices to more lag. Multi Window is very nice on the Pro, you get some other very nice features like Smart Stay baked in, and to my knowledge it is preinstalled with the same great keyboards as my LTE. (Samsung keyboard has always-on number keys, Swype has full/split/mini modes for better typing ergonomics)

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had both. I had the Nexus 7, returned it for the Tab Pro 8.4, and them returned that for my current Nexus 7 LTE. I like the Nexus waaay better. The Tab Pro actually felt sluggish to me and I didn't like the size as much.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had both. I had the Nexus 7, returned it for the Tab Pro 8.4, and them returned that for my current Nexus 7 LTE. I like the Nexus waaay better. The Tab Pro actually felt sluggish to me and I didn't like the size as much.

I briefly had a Nexus 7 LTE. I can't remember it having any problems. I do remember it being better than any of the Nexus 7 WiFi models I had. Weird.

via one of the t@blets