Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 2 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By gerryp123
  • 1 Post By jerrykur
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7: Severe battery drain while device is asleep

Hello all,

This past week my Nexus 7 2013 has been experiencing some really bad battery drain. I first noticed it Monday morning. I went to sleep with 90% and woke up with 39%. This is with turning wi-fi and everything off. I thought it was just an anomaly, but then twice more over the past few days. Here is the most recent screenshot showing battery status:

Nexus 7: Severe battery drain while device is asleep-screenshot_2014-02-22-12-08-50.jpg

Instead of normally lasting upward of 2.5 day, it is barely getting past 1 now.
    As you can see, it shows shows Wi-fi was on throughout the day/night, even though I am 100% sure I turned it off. Even if it was on, it shouldn't lose 50% just sitting there.
    It's completely stock, hasn't been rooted. I don't drop it or anything. I even tried clearing the partition cache, without any luck on fixing the issue. Any input on what to try would be great! Thanks

*I got the tablet back in August, so it's almost 7 months old (still under warranty at Best Buy??).

**UPDATE**

Here are the screenshots from last night/this morning. I let it charge completely before I went to bed. Wifi is turned off. Lost 33% overnight. Not as drastic, but still very bad. The wifi icon is active in the notification bar because I turned it on this morning to upload the screenshots.

Nexus 7: Severe battery drain while device is asleep-screenshot_2014-02-23-12-57-59.jpg
    Nexus 7: Severe battery drain while device is asleep-screenshot-12-58pm-feb-23-2014-.jpg
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 5.0.1

Default Re: Severe battery drain while device is asleep

Could you post a screenshot of the fill battery stats? Not just the graph.
    7 months is too long to still be under warranty. Don't think insurance would cover this either

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Could you post a screenshot of the fill battery stats? Not just the graph.
    7 months is too long to still be under warranty. Don't think insurance would cover this either

Figures. And I'll have to take a screenshot of that tomorrow morning, since I'm sure it will happen again tonight. I'll post both again tomorrow

Not sure if this matters, but go to Settings>Wireless & Networks>Wi-Fi, then tap the menu button and Advanced, then make sure "Scanning always available" is unchecked.

I have seen this kind of behavior from time to time, usually on my 2012 N7. A reboot usually fixes it, but it can be hard to pinpoint what exactly is causing the drain.
    UJ95x and zackmack7 like this.

I have the same problem with mine. Every app than can be Greenified is. Auto updates and syncing are turned off as is wifi. Screen brightness is almost to zero. Location is set to lowest settings, Google + is disabled. Yet, while it is turned off and in Airplane mode the battery drains like a sieve. It's not so bad when it is on and I'm using it. Looking at the battery usage the biggest user is the screen and Android OS and Idle. It makes absolutely no sense. I ran GSam for awhile to check for wakelocks and there were none.

I got great battery life until I updated to Kit Kat and on the same day put the tablet in a MoKo magnet case. I've wondered whether one or both of those things are causing battery drain.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Not sure if this matters, but go to Settings>Wireless & Networks>Wi-Fi, then tap the menu button and Advanced, then make sure "Scanning always available" is unchecked.

I have seen this kind of behavior from time to time, usually on my 2012 N7. A reboot usually fixes it, but it can be hard to pinpoint what exactly is causing the drain.
    I do have this enabled, but I have always have had it on. Some of my apps don't work well without it.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Updated the original post to show the more detailed and recent screenshots
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Doh View Post
    I have the same problem with mine. Every app than can be Greenified is. Auto updates and syncing are turned off as is wifi. Screen brightness is almost to zero. Location is set to lowest settings, Google + is disabled. Yet, while it is turned off and in Airplane mode the battery drains like a sieve. It's not so bad when it is on and I'm using it. Looking at the battery usage the biggest user is the screen and Android OS and Idle. It makes absolutely no sense. I ran GSam for awhile to check for wakelocks and there were none.
    I got great battery life until I updated to Kit Kat and on the same day put the tablet in a MoKo magnet case. I've wondered whether one or both of those things are causing battery drain.
    How long have you been dealing with it? and how bad is the drain you are seeing?
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 5.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by zackmack7 View Post
    Updated the original post to show the more detailed and recent screenshots
    Tablet idle shouldn't be using that much battery. Download an app called GSAM battery monitor. It should tell you what's causing the battery to drain

zackmack7 and ecr80 like this.

Been there - done that!
    After excessive battery drain I made sure to disable apps that were the source of multiple wake-locks (esp weather app, Google+. Google Currents, etc). Set everything to manual synch, esp for mail; reduced Notifications to only those that were essential. Also, screen "off" when not needed (podcasts, music) and esp during sleep.

All seems much better now. Only 2% battery drain overnight.
    ecr80 likes this.

How long have you been dealing with it? and how bad is the drain you are seeing?
    For a couple of weeks now. When turned sleeping it will drain 2-4% overnight, which isn't too bad, but as soon as I turn it on within a half minute it will dump 8%. Which means I've lost 10-12% since I last used it. To me this is excessive since everything is Greenified, Google + and Currents disabled, wifi scanning off, in airplane mode, etc. If I do anything besides read a book on it, then it drops in chunks of 4% every 10 minutes.

My N7 2013 never uses more than 4% overnight ( 8 hrs ) ... but the other night it used more than 20% for that same period ....

Only thing I could attribute it to was that I had switched to Next Browser as my default browser and it had stayed opened in recent apps .... so for some reason it never Deep Sleeped.

Removed it from recent apps and my N7 returned to normal behavior ... So I ditched Next Browser and returned to Chrome.

B
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Been a few weeks, and a few power cycles later, everything seems back to normal. Looks like I'm back to my normal 2.5 to 3 days of battery life.

Installed GSam like I was advised, and it really only showed the Kernel(Android OS) and Android System using most of the battery. In the meantime I disabled "Always Scanning" in the Wi-fi settings.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Default Re: Nexus 7: Severe battery drain while device is asleep

Hi. Since installing the last upgrade, I have had severe battery drain to the point where there is no life at all left on my tablet. It's been on charge for 3 days now with no signs of life until 3.30am this morning when i finally got it to turn on. 8% battery life and charging it said so left it alone. Got up this morning, nada so can't implement any of the advice on this forum. Am seriously considering dumping google and moving to kindle instead. We should'nt have to turn this or that off on a quality product that we've paid good money for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean bell View Post
    It's been on charge for 3 days now with no signs of life until 3.30am this morning when i finally got it to turn on. 8% battery life and charging it said so left it alone. Got up this morning, nada so can't implement any of the advice on this forum. Am seriously considering dumping google and moving to kindle instead. We should'nt have to turn this or that off on a quality product that we've paid good money for.
    Are you using the charger and cable that came with the device? A phone charger does not output enough current. You need a charger that is rated for 5 volts at 1.2 or greater Amps.

Once you do get it running, go to the power screen and figure out what is consuming your battery. You might have a poor wifi connection, or live somewhere where there are multiple wifi connections and the "Always Scanning" setting is turned on so the unit is constantly looking for a better connection. You may also have a bad app that is constantly running. But the key is to get to the battery/power screen and figure out what is using power.

Best of luck.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean bell View Post
    Hi. Since installing the last upgrade, I have had severe battery drain to the point where there is no life at all left on my tablet. It's been on charge for 3 days now with no signs of life until 3.30am this morning when i finally got it to turn on. 8% battery life and charging it said so left it alone. Got up this morning, nada so can't implement any of the advice on this forum. Am seriously considering dumping google and moving to kindle instead. We should'nt have to turn this or that off on a quality product that we've paid good money for.
    Welcome to Android Central! jerrykur's question is a good one--are you using the appropriate charger? And if so, have you tried any others, just in case your original charger coincidentally failed?

Also, do you have the 2013 N7 or the 2012?

there are several battery apps in the play store. i use "du battery saver"

at night time, i close all apps, then use its "optimize" app, put it on airport mode, after a night, batter power usually go down by 3% only.

Nexus 7: Severe battery drain while device is asleep-screenshot_2014-07-29-09-13-32.png

can anybody explain this ?

I was facing similar issue with my nexus 7 tab.
    I was able to fix it by doing following changes:
    1. Uninstalled updates of google play services
    Now it is running on google olay services 4.3.23
    2. Disabled auto-sync data
    3. Disabled location
    4. Disabled app: google search

Now I am getting very good standby time in my tab.

Hello all,

This past week my Nexus 7 2013 has been experiencing some really bad battery drain. I first noticed it Monday morning. I went to sleep with 90% and woke up with 39%. This is with turning wi-fi and everything off. I thought it was just an anomaly, but then twice more over the past few days. Here is the most recent screenshot showing battery status:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-22-12-08-50.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	105678

Instead of normally lasting upward of 2.5 day, it is barely getting past 1 now.
    As you can see, it shows shows Wi-fi was on throughout the day/night, even though I am 100% sure I turned it off. Even if it was on, it shouldn't lose 50% just sitting there.
    It's completely stock, hasn't been rooted. I don't drop it or anything. I even tried clearing the partition cache, without any luck on fixing the issue. Any input on what to try would be great! Thanks

*I got the tablet back in August, so it's almost 7 months old (still under warranty at Best Buy??).

**UPDATE**

Here are the screenshots from last night/this morning. I let it charge completely before I went to bed. Wifi is turned off. Lost 33% overnight. Not as drastic, but still very bad. The wifi icon is active in the notification bar because I turned it on this morning to upload the screenshots.

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-23-12-57-59.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	105713

Name:	Screenshot (12-58PM, Feb 23, 2014).jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	105714

Recently my N7 started dumping 30 + % overnight while sleeping. This is after I turned off all syncing, keeping wifi always off, turn off Google voice commands and Greenified all apps. Nothing helped. So I disabled all Google services including Play, Framework, etc. Still didn't make a difference. When I would check battery usage it would say "Tablet Idle" was eating up my battery. Did a complete factory reset and wiped the system cache and the battery went back to its normal of only dropping 6% in 24 hrs of standby. Then once the battery got down to around 80% it dumped 33% overnight and the next night 20%. Something is definitely screwed up the the Nexus 7. I've tried every fix discussed on the forums and nothing helps. At this point, I'm done with the N7 and in the market for a new tablet.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Doh View Post
    Recently my N7 started dumping 30 + % overnight while sleeping. This is after I turned off all syncing, keeping wifi always off, turn off Google voice commands and Greenified all apps. Nothing helped. So I disabled all Google services including Play, Framework, etc. Still didn't make a difference. When I would check battery usage it would say "Tablet Idle" was eating up my battery. Did a complete factory reset and wiped the system cache and the battery went back to its normal of only dropping 6% in 24 hrs of standby. Then once the battery got down to around 80% it dumped 33% overnight and the next night 20%. Something is definitely screwed up the the Nexus 7. I've tried every fix discussed on the forums and nothing helps. At this point, I'm done with the N7 and in the market for a new tablet.
    Honestly man, I might be with you on that. This might be the last time I buy a Nexus device. Recently the thing just stopped working on me completely after just one year. I was playing clash of clans the other day, put it on the charger, went to go eat dinner, and it seemed to have rebooted itself and now gets stuck on the Google screen when powered on. I can't do anything to fix it. Might have to send it into Asus.

Btw, I was no longer having the severe battery drain I was posting about before, but I'll still lose 5% or so overnight with the tablet just sitting there, wi-fi off and everything.