Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 2 Post By jerrykur
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7: power off or leave it on? which is better?

if i power it off daily, does the rebooting actually damage the tablet in the long run?

if it doesn't damage anything, then i think that i will start to power it off at night time now. could that prolong the life of the battery and the tablet?

thanks.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-23-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Default Re: power off or leave it on? which is better?

Rebooting does no damage in the short or long run. Powering down on a regular basis probably won't prolong the life of the battery if you use the device daily. If you only used your device periodically, powering down might prolong battery life by decreasing the frequency of charging, since a lithium battery's lifespan is dependent on how many charge/discharge cycles it goes through.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    13,799 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I am inclined to agree. If it is a device you use daily, leave it on and reboot once a week or so. If you only use it every few days, power it off

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    B. Diddy likes this.

So how long and what exactly happenes when ur battery goes through all its cycles? How long will it take if u charge once a day? So basically ur new nexus 7 only is good until the battery won't charge anymore? Then it's dead and gone? Or it will last a very long time?

Default Re: Nexus 7: power off or leave it on? which is better?

Every battery will die at some point. From what I've read in various sources, lithium batteries start to deteriorate after maybe 400 to 500 charge cycles--which is not to say that they die then, but you may start noticing decreasing battery life. I'd estimate that the expected average battery lifespan these days is maybe 2-3 years with heavy daily use. Once the battery is done, it's done. You either try to replace it (either at a repair shop or DIY), or get a new device. Considering the life cycle of most devices these days and the continued advancement of tech every year, most people don't keep a device for more than 2 years anyway.

Posted via Android Central App
    Ntchwaidumela and dctokyo like this.

I have been told and remember reading that not all charge cycles are the same when it comes to lifespan. The factor is how much charge is put in. So a charge cycle that goes from 80% to 100% is not the same as a cycle that goes from 20% to 100%, the latter one uses more useful battery life.
    Thanked by:
    Ntchwaidumela and brosko like this.

That would make sense--it'd be nice to read that source. Let us know if you find it!

Note that it’s not considered a “charge cycle” every time you plug in your device. If you used 20% of your device’s battery life every day for 5 days, and recharged it each day to 100%, that would be one charge cycle. So in case of 1000 charge cycles, can take actually quite a long time (probably years of use for most people).
    LG-isai
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by dctokyo View Post
    Note that it’s not considered a “charge cycle” every time you plug in your device. If you used 20% of your device’s battery life every day for 5 days, and recharged it each day to 100%, that would be one charge cycle. So in case of 1000 charge cycles, can take actually quite a long time (probably years of use for most people).
    I always wondered about that, because I thought I had read in some source that a charge cycle was any time you charged back up to full, regardless of how low it was to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I always wondered about that, because I thought I had read in some source that a charge cycle was any time you charged back up to full, regardless of how low it was to begin with.
    I did as well.....
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

let it be, do not use a tablet so tired

Sent from my iNew v3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    From an electrochemical perspective I can see it mattering how much of a charge is required since you are migrating electrons back to the original side of a barrier. If you are fully charged your don't have to migrate as many as with a more discharged battery. But, that is based on more traditional lead-acid batteries. I am not sure if the same hold true for Li-Ion.
    Thanked by:

Hello,
    I have been of the mind that when a device is powered on then " Bad things can Happen"..Thus if i know I will not use the device for a reasonable time] I usually shut it off..
    As to Li batteries, this is a interesting article I found to help explain charging and general care and feeding of Li batteries.

[URL="http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries"]http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries[/URL