Nexus 7: Why Does the Battery Drain While Not Used?

TomBrooklyn

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Why is the battery draining in my Nexus 7 2ndGen while I am not using it?

Sometimes it has a strong charge when I go to sleep; but I find it with the battery almost dead 8 hours later.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why Does the Battery Drain While Not Used?

Sometimes an app can malfunction and keep the device awake all night, which can drain the battery. I've seen Google+ do this, but sometimes it's hard to pinpoint. If you can, post a screenshot of the battery stats after the battery has drained for a while, with the details of how much battery each process and app is using.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

I have everything Greenified on my Nexus 7 and wifi scanning off, sync off, etc and yet the my biggest battery drain is Idle. The way I have mine set up there shouldn't be much if any drain while it is off or sleeping, but there is. Something is amiss with the OS and I suspect it has to do with Kit Kat since the drain began after I updated the OS.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I have everything Greenified on my Nexus 7 and wifi scanning off, sync off, etc and yet the my biggest battery drain is Idle. The way I have mine set up there shouldn't be much if any drain while it is off or sleeping, but there is. Something is amiss with the OS and I suspect it has to do with Kit Kat since the drain began after I updated the OS.

I would suggest you follow B. Diddy's advice and capture some details. Just flipping settings without understanding where power is being consumed is guessing at the cause and hoping for the best. With power consumption a bit of study can go a long way.

jolphil

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

In addition to B Diddys advice, as a starting point try his Sticky above..It cannot hurt and will give the system a level playing field..I have done it and there was NO data loss at all .
Just a suggestion,
Goodluck

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

Why is the battery draining in my Nexus 7 2ndGen while I am not using it?

Sometimes it has a strong charge when I go to sleep; but I find it with the battery almost dead 8 hours later.

download greenify and it'll resolve your problem. it did for me.

greenify basically prevents any apps (you pick and choose) from running in the background.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

Something is draining the battery if it's got a "good" charge and does overnight. I only see a 2-3% drop over 6-8 hours idle.

Posted via Android Central App

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Battery at 70% when I left for work, it was 42% when I got back 9 hours later.
There are some apps open, but nothing that should be draining the battery like that. I really believe Kit Kat is the cause, this never happened before.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Battery at 70% when I left for work, it was 42% when I got back 9 hours later.
There are some apps open, but nothing that should be draining the battery like that. I really believe Kit Kat is the cause, this never happened before.

The os is probably one of the least likely items unless you have non standard settings. Check your apps. Also, see if there are WiFi issues. Poor WiFi or non existent WiFi can drain the battery quickly.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I put mine in airplane mode when I leave for work and is fully charged when I leave. Sometimes when I get home it could be at 100 or 99%. You could download gsam battery monitor to see what is killing the battery so fast.

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

The os is probably one of the least likely items unless you have non standard settings. Check your apps. Also, see if there are WiFi issues. Poor WiFi or non existent WiFi can drain the battery quickly.

I've had this tablet from day 1, last July, great battery life until after KitKat. It's too much of a coincidence.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I've had this tablet from day 1, last July, great battery life until after KitKat. It's too much of a coincidence.

Mine has great battery life with kitkat as do others. Again check you apps they may not work properly with Kitkat. If you find an app that is misbehaving contact the developer for an update

klobkelosh

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
A suggestion on xda that it might be Skype causing the drain. It recently updated about 2 weeks ago, when I first noticed the drain. So far uninstalling Skype seems to have tamed battery, but I want to wait a day or two before considering this solved.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
As programs that use the SD card update to use Google's latest cluster**** APIs in KitKat, the bug reports and one star ratings are being compounded while they sort out all of the compatibility issues.

reillytd

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
My battery went from 100% to 40% in 3 hours while idle. I also uninstalled Skype and this massive drain stopped.
I suggest all users log a trouble call to Skype.

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
There is definately a battery drain issue with KitKat.

Vanilla N7 2012 - all default settings (no apps) with wi-fi off and no sim. From 100% battery took 4 days (exactly 96 hours) to go to 17%.

Allowed update to install Kitkat. Again, all default settings (no apps) with wi-fi off and no sim. From 100% battery to 0% in 11 hours (may have been less - had a lay in, it was Sunday :)).

Reset tablet back to vanilla/factory and repeated (default, no wifi no sim); 100% -> 18% in 96 hours.

Looking at the Battery info; 'Android Idle' is the culprit. Not sure if this is a general catch-all (IE. Other processes are reported within 'Android Idle') or not - being a bit of an Android N7-noob - but the tests above kinda indicate KitKat - or something within the OS update - is a bit power-thirsty in Idle mode....

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
have u tried any of the battery saving apps? i have used them before, usually after a night of sleep, i only lost 3%.

try it and see if that works. if not, maybe it is time to contact asus

cab2

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Wi-fi uses some power while suspended, but it takes a 7-10 days on mine to drain the battery. Maybe your battery is getting old, all these batteries last about 3 yrs. The only advantage I've found to leaving wifi ON is the tablet wakes up and rings if I get a Skype call.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692