Wifi never turning off in sleep mode on Nexus 7 (2013)

Bednarz

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
So I had my Nexus a few days and noticed something strange when checking the battery usage graph, the wifi showed as a solid blue line indicating it was never switching off, restarting made no difference, it was always a solid single line.

My settings were:

Network notification: OFF
Keep wifi on during sleep: NEVER
Scanning always available: OFF

I tried going through running apps and killing them off one by one to see if that would allow the Nexus to switch wifi off during sleep, but nothing seemed to make a difference.

The strange thing is I did a factory reset, and then changed the wifi settings to the same as above and this is the result:

Screenshot_2014-03-04-10-34-07.jpg

Now that is obviously better than before the factory reset when the wifi would never turn off at all, however is it normal that it is now periodically switching itself on and off during sleep?

Is there a bug in the 'keep wifi on during sleep' options or could something else strange be going on here?

I'm assuming my initial problem (before the factory reset) with wifi always being on during sleep was caused by an app, but which one I have no idea...

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Not sure you understand what wifi off during sleep really means. It means it is not constantly on while sleeping. Running apps can still turn it on and off to sync.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the Nexus 7 allows apps to turn on wi-fi if you have the wi-fi turned off and Scanning off. Other devices do allow that, but there is no option for that with the N7, and I've never seen it happen on my 2012 nor 2013 versions. It's an odd bug. Although you already did a factory reset, it might still be worth doing a cache partition wipe.

Posted via Android Central App

Sassi666

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
My wifi has always shown as a solid blue line with wifi set to go off with sleep. I even know that it goes off as when I reconnect it shows wifi as off for a few seconds. I just assumed it was a bug in the android battery app

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
It was my impression that certain apps could turn on wifi for synch info updates even when N7 was in sleep state. (Isn't this what wake-locks are all about?). For example, I have a weather app that correctly reports latest air temp when I wake up N7 -- even with wifi off. How does it know this???

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I could be wrong, but my N7 never turns wifi on by itself. I would think that the app wakelock partially awakens the device in order to refresh data, but can only do so if wi-fi was already turned on. When you turn your N7 on and the temp is correct, is it possible that the wi-fi is coming on right when you awaken it, thereby allowing the app to refresh immediately?

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Evidence points to either broken power reporting or more likely broken control of the wifi radio. If you run Wireshark on a PC on your home wifi and set it to log only packets from your tablet's MAC address I expect you will see regular activity even with controls set to keep the wifi off.

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I could be wrong, but my N7 never turns wifi on by itself. I would think that the app wakelock partially awakens the device in order to refresh data, but can only do so if wi-fi was already turned on. When you turn your N7 on and the temp is correct, is it possible that the wi-fi is coming on right when you awaken it, thereby allowing the app to refresh immediately?

When I wake N7, wifi is always OFF until I turn it ON. Are you saying that waking N7 momentarily turns on wifi to refresh apps and then turns it off again ???

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, what I was wondering was if wifi might have been left on, but the "Wifi on during sleep" setting was set to "Never." In that situation, wifi is supposed to remain off while asleep, but then once you wake the tablet up, wifi would turn on as well. I know, a relatively unlikely scenario, but just wondering.

rejgr

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue. Got my new N7 yesterday & I've been trying to figure out why it keeps WiFi ON even while sleeping even thought I set it to never keep it on. I even booted in safe mode, wiped the cache partition and it's still doing it.

My last hope is a factory setting reset and I'll see what happens from there. edit:Not working either.. just did a factory reset and it just won't turn off the WiFi. Guess I'll have to use the "Wifi:auto off" app from now on (it does work - tested). I find it a bit ridiculous to have to use a third party app to have something that's part of android actually work but hey ... ;)

BTW, can you tell me how to get to the screen you showed on your first post? (The history details for the connections) ... Can't seem to find it on mine... I'm using 4.4.2 on my N7. Thanks

/cheers

R

Update: Found out how to get the history details screen.

Update 2: It worked for less than a day... then it won't turn off midi anymore (again!) when it goes to sleep. I guess I'll have to find an app that'll allow me to see which app stops midi from turning off. Note that WiFi auto-off stopped working as well. I found another one called "Screen off WiFi off" that seems to work great at the moment.

Last edited:

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Some applications can override the system policy. Viber can keep wifi ON during sleep. You might wanna check your application for those options.

gkendall43

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you have Scanning always available turned off in WiFi advanced settings. That did it for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad