Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By patruns
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  • 1 Post By patruns
  • 1 Post By sethgoldstein
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Connecting Nexus 7 2013 to TV

Equipment
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Samsung Series 500 TV. <--- Not a Smart TV model
    ZyXEL Q1000Z modem/router

The TV and Nexus are connected to my network, and are listed in the router. The TV is a wired connection, and obviously, the Nexus is a wireless connection

New to tablets, but not new to computers.

I'm considering dropping my Dish Network account and equipment in favor of Hulu Plus, Netflix, or some combination of viewing TV via an internet connection.

What are my options/possibilities for doing this via the Nexus?

Thanks.

Default Re: Connecting Nexus 7 2013 to TV

Chromecast jumps out at me.....
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Assassin Droid likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Chromecast jumps out at me.....
    That was mentioned by a friend, and it may work. But, if the TV is already wired to the network, and the Nexus is wifi to the network, why pay $35 for redundancy?

I would think there would be some kind of app for the Nexus that would transmit the Nexus video output over my existing connections to the TV. Although, as I type this now, maybe the TV has no internal means of processing that data. That possibility didn't occur to me.

As for Google itself, and it's products, ever since Google was caught, and admitted to, violating its own privacy policy, I no longer trust them. Same goes for Facebook for me.

ROM
    Stock

I wouldn't tie up my tablet to stream audio, since I sometimes like tinkering with the tab when I watch movies... Also, you can get a smart Blu-Ray player for $60 at Best Buy (and elsewhere) that will stream, and also play discs for those things not available via streaming.
    Thanked by:

Problem with Chromecast is that vendors appear slow to add this interface to their apps. Also, fidelity is lacking - not as good as streaming HD or a god old fashioned Blu-Ray. I'd wait awhile. The "perfect" interface is bound to pop up soon.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
    I wouldn't tie up my tablet to stream audio, since I sometimes like tinkering with the tab when I watch movies... Also, you can get a smart Blu-Ray player for $60 at Best Buy (and elsewhere) that will stream, and also play discs for those things not available via streaming.
    It's not likely I'll want to use the tablet for anything else when viewing something on the TV. It would be one or the other. I bought the Nexus pretty much for a specific purpose, but this idea wasn't it. I don't watch a lot of TV anyway, and seem to be watching less and less. I'm hoping to find a cheaper alternative to Dish.

I never thought about a smart Blu-Ray player. Are you limited to the apps that are on the player, or can others be added at a later date?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by gerryp123 View Post
    Problem with Chromecast is that vendors appear slow to add this interface to their apps. Also, fidelity is lacking - not as good as streaming HD or a god old fashioned Blu-Ray. I'd wait awhile. The "perfect" interface is bound to pop up soon.
    Fidelity is lacking, that's a bummer for me. TV is connected, or will be if I get off my ****, to the sound system. I may check out the Blu-Ray player idea, but hoping not to have to spend any more money I'd rather spend somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshed View Post
    I would think there would be some kind of app for the Nexus that would transmit the Nexus video output over my existing connections to the TV.
    Pardon my question, since I'm a new Nexus 7 (2013) owner, but isn't there a Slimport <> HDMI adapter that allows you to mirror the display to a TV/monitor? Ex: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F09DURG?...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Pardon my question, since I'm a new Nexus 7 (2013) owner, but isn't there a Slimport <> HDMI adapter that allows you to mirror the display to a TV/monitor? Ex: Amazon.com : Patuoxun Slimport MyDP 1080P MicroUSB to HDMI 1.4 HDTV 3D Adapter Cable with AC Charger for Google Nexus 7 2nd generation Nexus 4 Phones ASUS PadFone 3 feet Black : Electronics

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    Well, I don't know! LOL

Wouldn't this adapter require hard wiring? That won't accomplish my end wish, sitting in the chair, TV 15' away, and having the Nexus in my lap with no attachments.

Sinclair ZX-80... Really??????

Off topic, but is that your signature file in the setting for this forum? If so, how do you attach it? New here, can't figure out how to do it.

ROM
    Stock

I never thought about a smart Blu-Ray player. Are you limited to the apps that are on the player, or can others be added at a later date?
    I think some allow added apps, but I know on my Sony Blu-Ray it has more services than I have heard of.

Amazon, Netflix, Hulu and many more. It also allows the use of a DLNA so you can stream media to it from a computer (and possibly a tablet).

That won't accomplish my end wish, sitting in the chair, TV 15' away, and having the Nexus in my lap with no attachments.
    I must've missed the 'no attachments' requirement in your OP.
    Sinclair ZX-80... Really?
    Yeah, it makes a handy wearable...
    Off topic, but is that your signature file in the setting for this forum? If so, how do you attach it? New here, can't figure out how to do it.
    I use Tapatalk: http://market.android.com/details?id...ord.tapatalkHD on my phone for all of my forum responses, and it allows you to embed a signature. I'm sure it's possible using the Web browser but I can't point you to where to find it - sorry.

Although, as I type this now, maybe the TV has no internal means of processing that data. That possibility didn't occur to me.
    Bingo! Your TV will only receive video/audio signals through the various input ports. Having said that, if your TV is older and does not have HDMI ports then the Chromecast dongle won't work for you either.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I must've missed the 'no attachments' requirement in your OP.Yeah, it makes a handy wearable...I use Tapatalk: http://market.android.com/details?id...ord.tapatalkHD on my phone for all of my forum responses, and it allows you to embed a signature. I'm sure it's possible using the Web browser but I can't point you to where to find it - sorry. Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    You did not miss anything from the OP. I assumed since I posted how things were connect to the network, people would know what I want to do. I wonder if this unit would work: PTV3000 | Wireless Display Adapters | Connected Entertainment | Home | NETGEAR I wonder how many people reading this thread had to do a search and find out what a ZX-80 is? I never owned one, my first computer was an Atari 800 with 48K of RAM. I still have it, plus a second unit.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Bingo! Your TV will only receive video/audio signals through the various input ports. Having said that, if your TV is older and does not have HDMI ports then the Chromecast dongle won't work for you either.
    The TV does have HDMI ports, but based on a comment in this thread about fidelity, Chromecast is not what I want either. Samsung made the same TV in a Smart TV version also.

Guess I misunderstood this to mean that you were looking for all options. Additionally, since you mentioned in a post prior to mine that fidelity was a concern, I figured that a hardwired HDMI connection would provide you the best fidelity possible.
    I'd assume that you could use a 12' or 16' (high quality) HDMI cable and still be able to sit in your chair. But no matter...

What about Miracast? This appears to be supported in the Nexus 7, and if your TV doesn't natively support it you could get an adapter - the specs say that it supports 1080p.

I'm kinda miffed at the criticism of Chromecast. I use mine all the time and it's always operated great.
    Not every device nor provider is for everyone. So choose carefully before you put your money down. Then live with your decision.

T-Mobile Note 4
    2013 Nexus 7 (5.0.2)
    Asus Transformer Pad TF300T
    Chromecast
    T-Mobile Gear S

Quote Originally Posted by Ntchwaidumela View Post
    I'm kinda miffed at the criticism of Chromecast. I use mine all the time and it's always operated great.
    But, it is a limited device. I looked at it and went with a full Android device instead, the Minix X7. Full play store, Wifi, Quad core COU, 32 GB of storage, remote control, etc. More money ($120), but a lot more functionality.

ChromeCast is great. Or the roku

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Guess I misunderstood this to mean that you were looking for all options. Additionally, since you mentioned in a post prior to mine that fidelity was a concern, I figured that a hardwired HDMI connection would provide you the best fidelity possible.
    I'd assume that you could use a 12' or 16' (high quality) HDMI cable and still be able to sit in your chair. But no matter...
    I don't think you misunderstood as much as I know too little about tablets, streaming, etc. My computer uses have always centered around productivity software and uses. Scanners, desktop publishing, office suites, and the like.

When I wrote the original post, I basically assumed readers would realize that since I had everything networked, I wanted to send the signal over the network, thus not needing any extra equipment. But, it appears that since I don't have a smart TV, that's not possible.

I approach problems like this backwards from most people, apparently. Investigating to see if it's technically possible to do what I want before checking to see if Netflix, Hulu Plus, et. al. will do what I wish in order to replace Dish Network. As I type this, just realized that maybe the hardware solutions listed so far may also be a means to use the Nexus for PowerPoint type presentations, connecting to a projector rather than a TV.

At it's shortest, a physical cable would have to be 25', and that would have the cable running across the middle of the floor. Good trip hazard. Not what I would want.

Fidelity was not something that occurred to me until mentioned. Especially since I need to get an adapter to convert digital sound output to analog so I can connect the TV to my old analog sound system.

What about Miracast? This appears to be supported in the Nexus 7, and if your TV doesn't natively support it you could get an adapter - the specs say that it supports 1080p.
    Are you talking about this unit or similar? PTV3000 | Wireless Display Adapters | Connected Entertainment | Home | NETGEAR Someone gave me this link somewhere.

Seth Goldstein mentioned Roku. Heard of the name when looking at Apple TV when I was considering an iPad Mini. A friend was looking at a Roku unit to replace their Dish system, but the reviews I read about it wasn't particularly flattering.

Jerrykur suggests the Minix X7 over Chromecast. Something else I've never heard of.

I don't like buying things like this without seeing them in a brick and mortar store.

It seems I can probably do what I want technology wise. I'm thinking I should put the hardware search on hold until I find out if I can get online the things I get via Dish basic setup.
    Now... If this forum just had a threaded view, it would be almost as good as the Usenet for functionality.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post
    But, it is a limited device. I looked at it and went with a full Android device instead, the Minix X7. Full play store, Wifi, Quad core COU, 32 GB of storage, remote control, etc. More money ($120), but a lot more functionality.
    Another piece of hardware for me to check out. LMAO!!!!!

Thanks, I appreciate the info.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by sethgoldstein View Post
    ChromeCast is great. Or the roku

Any particular model of Roku, Seth?

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

When I cut the cord I went with the Roku 2. Best decision ever. Though I eventually went back to the cord when my internet provider started capping usage I still use the Roku almost everyday.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Equipment
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Samsung Series 500 TV. <--- Not a Smart TV model
    ZyXEL Q1000Z modem/router

The TV and Nexus are connected to my network, and are listed in the router. The TV is a wired connection, and obviously, the Nexus is a wireless connection

New to tablets, but not new to computers.

I'm considering dropping my Dish Network account and equipment in favor of Hulu Plus, Netflix, or some combination of viewing TV via an internet connection.

Thanks.
    If you have a xbox360 or ps3 you can stream whatever is on your Android to your TV using an app called allcast it might be worth looking into... P. S it supports more than consoles.

24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by xceeder View Post
    If you have a xbox360 or ps3 you can stream whatever is on your Android to your TV using an app called allcast it might be worth looking into... P. S it supports more than consoles.

I'm not a gamer in any sense of the word. LOL So, no xbox, ps3, or other console. But I have installed allcast. But I need to have something like the Roku or Apple TV to use it.

Looks like I'm stuck having to try out places like Netflix and Hulu (Plus) and others to see if I can do what I wish.

Thanks for the Allcast info, I think that puts me a couple steps ahead.

Any particular model of Roku, Seth?
    The roku 3 is gr8 of the stick looks nice when it comes out. I'm a big fan of the ChromeCast though.