Nexus 7: Stock Keyboard?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
To start I'm on 4.4.2 and rooted. I really didn't like the default keyboard so recently decided to download a Jellybean 4.2 version keyboard like on my GNex. However, now I don't seem to have the default keyboard any more. (See screenshot.) Plus the Jellybean keyboard seems to be the same as the default keyboard not the 4.2 keyboard in that I don't have numbers on the keyboard without switching keyboard screens and pushing the comma doesn't give other options. (See second screenshot.) But I'm definitely using the "Jellybean keyboard". How do I get the default keyboard back and any other suggestions for getting the 4.2 keyboard? Or, am I using the 4.2 keyboard, it just behaves differently for tablets?

Thx!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Stock Keyboard?

Forgot the screenshots...
:-*

Attachments

• 1394656581838.jpg
    1394656581838.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 1394656602936.jpg
    1394656602936.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 28

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

How do I get the default keyboard back
Umm, in that first screen just select 'Default' and pick the 'Google keyboard'

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

Thanks but the Google Keyboard is an app (which sucks). The default keyboard should say Android Keyboard (AOSP) or something along those lines. At least it does for my phone. Is it possible my ROM (Purity) replaced the keyboard?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

Umm, in that first screen just select 'Default' and pick the 'Google keyboard'

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

I'm back. Thanks for saying that because it led me to ask the right question. The Purity ROM does use the Google Keyboard as the default and it sucks! I'd never thought of that. Apparently I have to flash a different GAPPS package to get the AOSP keyboard. Can I flash Gaaps without starting over (ie a dirty flash)?

Thanks.
Ronda

Isc73

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

I got swiftkey and I have to say, the default wasn't that bad but this is just so much better. I liked that the default had the numbers at the top but that on top of the word correction made the keyboard too big. Surprisingly word prediction isn't a ton better on swiftkey but it's still noticeably better (the default had pretty darn good word prediction) . Also, even though I don't have the number keys above the keyboard, I can customize the hold press time to make inputting numbers just as easy. And don't forget the size customization along with the themes. It cost 2 bucks and I'll never have to pay it again but I'd say it would be worth it if I had to do it again. I just wish they would allow us to download more themes although the defaults are pretty good and they did say more would be coming soon.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

I have Swift Key. I'll try it again but no matter what, I just can't get the size of the keyboard to work. Also it keeps crashing. But if the AOSP is bigger, that won't work either. Maybe I'll just buy Kii and customize the size of the keys.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

To start I'm on 4.4.2 and rooted. I really didn't like the default keyboard so recently decided to download a Jellybean 4.2 version keyboard like on my GNex. However, now I don't seem to have the default keyboard any more. (See screenshot.) Plus the Jellybean keyboard seems to be the same as the default keyboard not the 4.2 keyboard in that I don't have numbers on the keyboard without switching keyboard screens and pushing the comma doesn't give other options. (See second screenshot.) But I'm definitely using the "Jellybean keyboard". How do I get the default keyboard back and any other suggestions for getting the 4.2 keyboard? Or, am I using the 4.2 keyboard, it just behaves differently for tablets?

Thx!

I notice you have the Swiftkey keyboard installed and checked. Have you tried the Swiftkey Beta keyboard? It allows you to add a row of numbers atop the letters. That's available in the options. I recommend you give it a try. Make it your Default keyboard. If you don't like it, simply uninstall it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital