after 4th repair, i got a new serial number and an old serial number?

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
when i click on "settings", "about", the serial number is the same as before. it only has 8 digits.

but the serial number printed on the original box starts with d70kbcxxxxxx, after the 4th repair, now it became d60kbcxxxxxx.

i think that they changed the motherboard during the 4 repairs. but then how come the serial number in the tablet is the same? when i was chatting with asus online, the person didn't know what happened, either. the original case missing the | from Nexus on the back. it didn't get fixed.

this is strange. who can explain it?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
when i click on "settings", "about", the serial number is the same as before. it only has 8 digits.

but the serial number printed on the original box starts with d70kbcxxxxxx, after the 4th repair, now it became d60kbcxxxxxx.

i think that they changed the motherboard during the 4 repairs. but then how come the serial number in the tablet is the same? when i was chatting with asus online, the person didn't know what happened, either. the original case missing the | from Nexus on the back. it didn't get fixed.

this is strange. who can explain it?

Where do you see the serial # in the settings? I thought it was only on the box.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There is a serial number in Settings>About phone>Status, but it doesn't appear to be the same as the one on the box (which I think is the true serial number). In fact, it's in a totally different format. I'm not sure what the one in the settings menu is.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Where are you comparing these serial #s? On the box? On the device? In the Settings menu?

If it is on the box or on a device sticker then they probably just grabbed a box they had lying around or grabbed a refurbished unit.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
yes, the serial number in the machine's setting is always the same.

but the box serial number changed. they only mail me the tablet back and forth, not the box itself. the tablet itself is the same, because on the back "nexus " now misses the | of the "n" letter. ( they didn't add the sticker on the back. ) so i know that they didn't give me a refurbished tablet.

it is kind of strange.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
yes, the serial number in the machine's setting is always the same.

but the box serial number changed. they only mail me the tablet back and forth, not the box itself. the tablet itself is the same, because on the back "nexus " now misses the | of the "n" letter. ( they didn't add the sticker on the back. ) so i know that they didn't give me a refurbished tablet.

it is kind of strange.

Given the issues you have had a refurbished unit might be a good replacement.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
the case outer case is the same, because the word "nexus" lost its | on the letter "n" . so i know that they didn't give me a replacement.

during the last 4 repairs, i thought that they have already changed the motherboard once. but this time, the second asus person told me that they changed the motherboard. the first asus person just told me that they reinstalled the system.

so far, they have changed the motherboard and the battery.

but the serial number under the setting remains the same. that is the part that i don't understand. how can it has the same serial number if it already got a new motherboard? i am going to email asus now, and see if they can explain it to me.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
i want to know where this serial number "resides".

if they changed the motherboard, i assume that the serial number is fixed on it. that is why i got a new serial number even though the case is the same old one.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes. And for some reason they did not re flash the ID chip which I think they ought to have. From what I recall several PC makers have fingerprinted boards and they always put the fingerprint onto the replacement board. The MAC address stored by the device is linked to the fingerprint also on many models, your device MAC will no longer match now either.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
will that cause any trouble in the future?

i thought that they already replaced the motherboard once, but i guess this time they really changed the motherboard. that is why i got a new serial number.