Question about Cyonogen mod and rooting my Nexus 7

Seth Lamb1

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
If I use the Wugfresh toolkit to root my Nexus, can I then install the Cyonogenmod or whatever it's called using their installer? Can I restore to stock using the toolkit and does installing the Cyonogenmodthingamajig also install a CM kernel?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If I use the Wugfresh toolkit to root my Nexus, can I then install the Cyonogenmod or whatever it's called using their installer? Can I restore to stock using the toolkit and does installing the Cyonogenmodthingamajig also install a CM kernel?

Just curious, by why are your rooting and replace the OS? I can see doing that with a provider based device, but I never install CM on Nexus devices.

Seth Lamb1

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Just curious, by why are your rooting and replace the OS? I can see doing that with a provider based device, but I never install CM on Nexus devices.

Well actually the only reason I'm switching OS's is because I want to see if changing kernels will stop my random reboots. I know it's a longshot and I know I'm probably going to more trouble than is worth but I'm new to this and Cyanogenmod provides an easy installer, so it shouldn't be too difficult. I've also been experiencing some strange lag issues so perhaps this will help clear it up.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

CM and other feature rich ROMs provide stuff not included with the stock aosp ROM shipped with the device. There's always room for improvement, even with a Nexus device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
CM and other feature rich ROMs provide stuff not included with the stock aosp ROM shipped with the device. There's always room for improvement, even with a Nexus device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I agree, but have found that CM has it own issues. Also, there is the loss of OTA updates from Google and it seems to be that quality of nightlies and even the stables sometimes leave something to be desired. Also, some features were lost like 4g support for my HTC Evo 4G.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
CM by their installer has its own OTA updates. I been running CM11 on my Nexus 7 2012 for months now and its faster with better battery life. I can't say the effect will be the same with the 2013 model but CM for Nexus devices never have the issues you have with other devices.

Once there was an OTA that messed up the lock screen and within 6 hours I got another OTA that fixed it. I have never had Google fix anything that fast.

I also run CM11 on my Galaxy Nexus since Google has dropped support it was the only way to get a stable KitKat on it.

Seth Lamb1

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Well it turns out that CM for me is more laggy than the stock ROM, surprisingly, so I ended up switching back to the stock AOSP ROM and flashing Franco kernel instead (just the free version). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like my battery life has improved at all with this kernel, the battery still drains at the same rate it did before when I'm using the tablet and I end up getting around 7-8 hours of onscreen time by the time I hit around 10 percent (battery drain in sleep mode is 1-2% every 8 hours or so).

Actually the only reason I was interested in rooting and getting a different kernel or ROM at all is because I want these BLOODY RANDOM REBOOTS TO GO AWAY!

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Well it turns out that CM for me is more laggy than the stock ROM, surprisingly, so I ended up switching back to the stock AOSP ROM and flashing Franco kernel instead (just the free version). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like my battery life has improved at all with this kernel, the battery still drains at the same rate it did before when I'm using the tablet and I end up getting around 7-8 hours of onscreen time by the time I hit around 10 percent (battery drain in sleep mode is 1-2% every 8 hours or so).

Actually the only reason I was interested in rooting and getting a different kernel or ROM at all is because I want these BLOODY RANDOM REBOOTS TO GO AWAY!

Actively using the tab for 7-8 hours is pretty good.

Did CM get rid of the random reboot?

Seth Lamb1

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Actively using the tab for 7-8 hours is pretty good.

Did CM get rid of the random reboot?

Don't know, didn't test it for very long (as in less than a day), it was just a lot more stuttery than the stock ROM, plus it felt like all of the Google apps ran worse on the ROM.

I read that random reboots MIGHT be caused by the kernel, so we'll see what Franco does for me. My tablet doesn't randomly reboot too often, around once a week or so, so it may be a while before it happens again if it happens again. I might consider switching to ElementalX as I've read that that kernel is the best for improving battery life.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae