Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question A couple of questions after getting a Nexus 7 (2013)

Hello

I just bought it yesterday, and have a couple of questions that belong to different sub-forums:
    1. What case/cover would you recommend so the screen isn't scratched when carrying the tablet in my bag?
    2. I'll primarily use the Nexus to read PDFs since e-book readers aren't up to the task: What settings + screen cover would you recommend to make reading as pleasant as e-book readers, and cut down on power use?
    3. Is USB tethering possible, so that I could simply connect the Nexus to my Galaxy Nexus smartphone with a USB cable and access the Net through 3G?
    4. There are at least two alternative ROMS: CyanogenMod and MIUI: What major features do they offer that would make it worth reflashing?

Thanks for any help.

Global Posts
    20,762 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: A couple of questions after getting a Nexus 7 (2013)

I am not sure about MIUI. never used it. CM isn't bad, inf act can be great, depending on what device you flash it to. It's going to have a few more features than Vanilla (stock) Android, but you will give up the speed of the updates.

I can see if I can recruit help for your other questions.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Sorry I can't offer much on the case/cover. I use a SEIDIO case on my mainly for bezel edge protection since that seems to be the most vulnerable part of any tablet with the glass running right up to the edges.

On the ROM scene.. I actually went back to stock Android 4.4.2 after long period of running AOKP and other ROMs. Android in my opinion has gotten to that point now where custom ROMs are becoming less of a need and more of a personal " want ".

CM is good, always right on top of things. MIUI, been quite a while since I ran it but it does offer that different flavor.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

I have this case, and I love it. Hard shell back for good protection, smartcover function that wakes the screen automatically on opening, and puts it to sleep upon closing. Innovative "origami" folding of the cover gives you a few different ways of standing it up.

Amazon.com: rooCASE Google Nexus 7 FHD Case - Slim Shell Origami Cover (2nd Gen 2013 Model) - BLACK (With Auto Wake / Sleep Cover): Computers & Accessories
    Thanked by 2:

I read a lot of PDFs. Get the trial of ezPDF Reader and see what you think. There is nothing else that compares. It makes reading my Investors Business Daily newspaper really enjoyable.

I have the Poetic Slimline case. Excellent!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Answers to your first two questions:
    1. I use a Poetic Slimline case. It adds very little bulk, provides a bit of protection, and keeps my screen clean.
    2. I use the Aldiko reader to read books in EPUB and PDF format. Nothing fancy, but it seems to work well.

I use a Poetic Slimcase also. Great protection and inexpensive on Amazon.

I am using a Poetic slim case

On Nexus devices I use the standard distribution since one of the reasons to have a Nexus is to get the download on day one direct from Google.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thanks for the infos.

To read PDFs, I currently use eBookDroid, but it doesn't seem to allow changing fonts (serif fonts are harder to read), and zooming in while reformatting the text. I'll try ezPDF and possibly others.

I also have to find some filter to get a matte, anti-glare screen protector.

I use a Snugg flip stand case, with with elastic hand strap, that I ordered from Amazon. Great quality! And a Tech Armor clear screen protector (w/lifetime warranty), also from Amazon. The case is a perfect fit, and all controls are easily accessible.
    Not every device nor provider is for everyone. So choose carefully before you put your money down. Then live with your decision.

T-Mobile Note 4
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Asus Transformer Pad TF300T
    Chromecast
    Gear 2 Neo

1. Another recommendation for the Poetic slimline from me.. I have the green one and get lots of compliments on it
    2. 30% brightness
    3. Can use Bluetooth or Wifi teethering if you have that option on your phone
    4. No real idea. I'd say those options are more important to phones than tablets