Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Fetching media files form the Nexus 7 via USB

I connect USB cable to my Linux desktop PC and Nexus 7 pops up in my file explorer. But it only works in PTP mode, MTP does nothing. I can only see DCIM and Pictures folders, but that's OK, I only want to get photos & videos out of the Nexus. But accessing files is unreliable. Sometimes I can read some photos but mostly not. Permissions problem? Any ideas?

Global Posts
    8,724 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Fetching media files form the Nexus 7 via USB

Have you thought about using a wifi file Explorer to browse the device without USB? That may address your issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Have you thought about using a wifi file Explorer to browse the device without USB? That may address your issue.
    Yes, ES File Explorer can browse shares on my LAN and copy files in either direction. But video files are large and wi-fi is slow compared to direct USB connection. ALSo, ES File Explorer stores usernames & passwords permanently, and given the recent revelations we cant be sure that Google isnt sharing this data with the NSA. Honestly, I dont trust all these applets in the Google ecosystem,, I would much prefer an open source OS like Ubuntu touch.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Well, it turns out I had a bad USB cable. I replaced it and file access work OK now.

Regarding wifi, is there a file explorer app that handles LAN passwords better than ES File Explorer?