Sharing Nexus 7 2013 on a home network

Snowshed

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Android 4.4.2 installed.

File Manager HD, version 1.11.5, by Rhythm Software installed.

I have a home network of 4 computers. Dual boot XP/Vista, dual boot Win7/Win8.0, Netbook Win7 Starter, iMac OS X Mountain Lion.

Using File Manager HD, I've got the tablet set up where I can access shared files and folders on all the computers, regardless of the OS.

How do I get the Nexus to show up on the computers? Is there a shared setting somewhere I can't find?

As part of this, whenever I copy a file from the Nexus to a computer, I have no access to it until I change settings/permissions on the file on the destination computer. How can I set the files on the Nexus so I don't have to do permission changes on the computer(s)? If you need more info on this, please ask.

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
There is no inbuilt sharing functionality. You can use AirDroid, an app that lets you access your device via Wi-Fi. The file browser will run inside your browser, but that's not a drawback, it's really powerful and fast.

Posted via Android Central App

ATVUtah

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Samba file sharing for android works great for this. It requires your device be rooted to work. I've been using it for years on all my Android devices. Your tablet or phone shows up on the network like any other share with full access which you can password protect or leave open if you so desire ( not recommended though)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Snowshed

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Samba file sharing for android works great for this. It requires your device be rooted to work. I've been using it for years on all my Android devices. Your tablet or phone shows up on the network like any other share with full access which you can password protect or leave open if you so desire ( not recommended though)

I know that the Android OS is a version of Linux, but when it comes to actually using Linux, I've never gotten very far. Just have never had the time.

From a little research just now, am I correct that "rooting" an Android device gives you the same type of permissions that the Administrator account does in Windows? I don't mind that, I run an adminstrator account on all my computers.

What's the easiest and safest way to do this? And is Samba file sharing the only option? Also, if I do this, will I still need a file management app like the one I currently have installed?

ATVUtah

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
To root a nexus just do a Google search. Plenty of info out there on how. I used a one click program found in the xda forums. Samba is a Linux based file share extension that an app for android was developed from which runs silently in the background. Then from any windows or Mac computer you can see the tablet on the local network just like any other pc and connect to it using the computers file system browser like navigating its own file system allowing you to copy, move, delete, create files like you would internally on the computer. I use it to move movies, music and other files to and from the tablet and the desktop or laptop via my local network.

Your correct that rooting gives you more administrative permissions and control.

Yes you will still need a file browser on the tablet. Samba is just a way to share access to the android device with other computers, PC or Mac, on the network.

ATVUtah

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh and to the other question of if there are other options, there may be but I found Samba worked and quit looking for any others.

cab2

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I have the same question as the OP. The N7 is on my network but other machines cannot see it. What happens after you root? Will the N7 automatically show up on your network? Do you have to set up Samba shares? Is that functionality built into Android or does one have to install some app that will allow other machines to login to the N7?

Karl Whitley1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Rooting will only provide more access to the device like an administrator allowing you to install apps lie samba. So yes you will still need to install samba to make the device appear on your home network but I would definitely give airdroid a try before rooting as to root your nexus device it would require you to wipe everything that is on the device and install root files (although some apps will make this a breeze) wiping is a bit of an extreme when you have things like airdroid or helium (paid version) - as a side note helium with root may share he same functionality as samba and its by clockwork mod so its worth a look (not too sure on this though)

Posted via Stock Nexus 4*

cab2

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Rooting will only provide more access to the device like an administrator allowing you to install apps lie samba. So yes you will still need to install samba to make the device appear on your home network but I would definitely give airdroid a try before rooting as to root your nexus device it would require you to wipe everything that is on the device and install root files (although some apps will make this a breeze) wiping is a bit of an extreme when you have things like airdroid or helium (paid version) - as a side note helium with root may share he same functionality as samba and its by clockwork mod so its worth a look (not too sure on this though)

Posted via Stock Nexus 4*

OK, I'll try airdroid, what uid & password does one use to log into the N7?

ES File Explorer can fetch network shares, but I don't like they way it handles IDs & passwords. That takes care of N7 to LAN, as for LAN machines fetching the N7, I have a feeling that Google/Android don't want the N7 to be accessible via wifi for security reasons.

cab2

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
So I installed airdroid. It's asking me to "sign in" with an email address. Sign into what? Any email will do? Last time I checked, email was for communicating with people, who am I gonna be chatting with? And what is "scan QR code"?

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
So I installed airdroid. It's asking me to "sign in" with an email address. Sign into what? Any email will do? Last time I checked, email was for communicating with people, who am I gonna be chatting with? And what is "scan QR code"?
Afaik the email address is only for accessing your files through the net. You can ignore this.

Start the AirDroid app on your Nexus, open web.airdroid.com in your PC's browser, tap "Scan QR Code" and hold you device in front of the QR Code displayed on your monitor. This will establish a connection and you're done. You can now manage files through the folder icon on the left.

If this is too cumbersome, simply enter the IP displayed by AirDroid into your browser's address bar. (But your device will be visible to everyone on your WiFi network. Not a problem if you're the only person using it...)

Here is some more information that might be helpful for you:
Exclusive First Look: AirDroid Version 2 Headed For The Play Store Today - Here's What You'll Find Inside

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes