Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By GSDer
  • 1 Post By chappers1976
  • 2 Post By GSDer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 Play store missing after factory reset

I decided to do a factory reset on my wife's Nexus 7 (Android version 4.4.2). It started constantly rebooting within a minute of booting up. Putting it into safe mode made no difference.

So I managed to factory reset and signed in again but there is no Play Store app installed that I can find. Gmail, Maps, Books etc are all there. Probably related is that there seems to be a sync error for Gmail, Drive and other google services.

It is not listed in Settings -> Apps -> All

I did find the com.android.vending-4.4.22.apk and that seemed to fix the sync eventually but it will not open after install just crashes before I can accept T&C.

Any hep would be greatly appreciated.

Richard
    Last edited by chappers1976; 04-07-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Typo in subject

Default Re: Nexus 7 Play store missing after factory reset

was this device ever rooted or flashed with a custom rom or bootloader?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No it is just as it was out of the box with added apps only from Play Store.

Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Apps>Disabled, ​and make sure the Play Store wasn't disabled somehow.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Apps>Disabled, ​and make sure the Play Store wasn't disabled somehow.
    Thanks. I do not see the disabled option?

Posted via Android Central App

If you don't see a Disabled column next to the All column in Settings>Apps, then no apps are disabled.

I'm really not sure what might have happened to your Play Store. You might have to re-flash the stock ROM. The image can be found on this page, but I don't have personal experience with the process. Someone else may be able to help you here.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

This all seems a bit drastic to re-flash for just a broken app! Anyone else got any ideas please?

I hope someone else has some good ideas for you, but the fact that a core system app like the Play Store is missing on an unrooted device makes me think there is something significantly wrong with the system. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by chappers1976 View Post
    This all seems a bit drastic to re-flash for just a broken app!
    It's not just a broken app - it's a system app that's missing; you can't just reinstall a system app unless you have root privileges.

Flashing the firmware is barely more difficult than performing a Factory Reset, and should be your first choice.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy and chappers1976 like this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks guys. I managed to re-flash a factory image which wasn't exactly "barely more difficult than performing a factory reset" but got it done eventually and now back to normal.

Thanks for all your advice.
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chappers1976 View Post
    which wasn't exactly "barely more difficult than performing a factory reset"
    Do you mean that Google has been lying to me (again)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    B. Diddy and brosko like this.

I have this same problem but when I go to link for my nexus 4 which link do I download?

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Petersen View Post
    I have this same problem but when I go to link for my nexus 4 which link do I download?
    You should download the latest build under the sub-heading for OCCAM - the 4.4.2 build (KOT49H)

I haven't used it yet myself but you can also try this tool http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/ which should take all of the guesswork out of the equation.