Did I just buy a fake nexus 7?

happycheezecake

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I recently purchased this Nexus 7 2013 off Ebay to gift to someone as a present.
It is brand new and still sealed in the box. I have a Nexus 7 of my own and i noticed that the one that I purchased off Ebay has a much thicker box.
The length of the box is the same but it is just that it is much thicker. Here is a picture of the thickness of the ebay one
nexus 7.JPG

and another picture of my nexus 7 box which looks like every other nexus 7 out there (this is just a generic picture but is the same as my nexus 7)
N7-2013-Unboxing-1.jpg

If you go on google images you can see that all the other boxes only seem to be as thick as the height of the label, while the one i got from ebay is much thicker than that.

The label on both boxes are the same size so you can see the thickness of the nexus 7 box I got off ebay is much thicker.
I don't want to open the box because i want to gift it as a present, and if there is no issue with it, then i don't want to open it.
Does anyone know if this is a fake nexus 7? Or is it an old or new revision?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Was the price about the going rate of a new Nexus 7? Also, was the sellers feedback good?

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a fake device based on retail packaging since that could change - for reasons that may not make sense to the average person like you and I. Check seller reviews and see what others have to say.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

happycheezecake

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Got it for $200 AUD - which seems about right compare to other nexus 7 on ebay.
The seller seemed good with 100% positive feedback for 250+ items. But he said he got a few of them for free from a supplier - so he might not know himself.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Personally I would never buy an item off eBay and gift it to someone without opening it. I would make sure I verified the contents before giving it away. Also, opening the box and verifying the contents doesn't it make it not new, and I bet the gift recipient would care less.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using tapatalk.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I know they change up the paper inserts and littles documents that come in the box from time to time during production runs, but a different size box like that is awfully strange. I would say it's possible that it is a fake. Can you return it?

parchping

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would never buy an item off eBay and gift it to someone without opening it. I would make sure I verified the contents before giving it away. Also, opening the box and verifying the contents doesn't it make it not new, and I bet the gift recipient would care less.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using tapatalk.

Go one more step and charge it before wrapping. Everybody's happy then.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Definitely from a hacktivist perspective I should say video record the box opening then check it, charge it, update it and verify then factory rest and close it up if things look good.

Always record box opening for stuff ordered online. I've always been able to get wrong/missing orders fixed when I mention that I taped the whole thing.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
In addition to the above suggestions, eBay has a guarantee policy. So, if it proves not to be authentic, they will refund you money.

achiquitachaser

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Definitely from a hacktivist perspective I should say video record the box opening then check it, charge it, update it and verify then factory rest and close it up if things look good.

Always record box opening for stuff ordered online. I've always been able to get wrong/missing orders fixed when I mention that I taped the whole thing.

That is an awesome idea, never thought of that before. Great tip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC