Battery drain on my Nexus 7 compared with my iPad

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I guess there is probably not much to do about it, but I notice that my Nexus 7 drains battery while idle at a much much faster rate than my iPad 4.

For example, my iPad for is now on battery for 4 days 14 hours and had 3 1/2 hours of usage and the battery is still 97% charged.

Meanwhile my Nexus 7 is on battery for 2 days 18 hours and while I don't know how long I used it it was definitely not 3 1/2 hours, and the battery is already down to 51%.

I think when not used at all the iPad barely drains battery but the Nexus 7 drains about 7% per day just on "tablet idle."

Maybe it's doing more over wi-fi in the background than my iPad? Or maybe it's just a difference in battery capacity.

doug

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Chances are its both those reasons.
That's how it was when I had both tablets too. The battery just doesn't last as long and the idle isn't as good.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

rgeese

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nexus 10 and a Nexus 7, both with Kit-Kat, and both with similar apps. I am constantly checking battery curves and stopping unneeded apps, just because I enjoy the playing around. When the Nexus 10 is idle for several hours, the battery discharge curve is essentially flat. When the Nexus 7 is idle for a few hours, there is a gradual downward slope in the curve. The difference probably has something to do with the way Kit-Kat works on both devices. I wish the N7 would act like the N10, but it just doesn't, and anything I do doesn't make it happen. But I love both devices!

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
This is a known problem with Kit Kat and the update will address this. Apparently it has something to do with wakelocks while the tablet is idle.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I guess there is probably not much to do about it, but I notice that my Nexus 7 drains battery while idle at a much much faster rate than my iPad 4.

For example, my iPad for is now on battery for 4 days 14 hours and had 3 1/2 hours of usage and the battery is still 97% charged.

Meanwhile my Nexus 7 is on battery for 2 days 18 hours and while I don't know how long I used it it was definitely not 3 1/2 hours, and the battery is already down to 51%.

I think when not used at all the iPad barely drains battery but the Nexus 7 drains about 7% per day just on "tablet idle."

Maybe it's doing more over wi-fi in the background than my iPad? Or maybe it's just a difference in battery capacity.

doug

Doug....go into your WIFI settings and click on advanced.....then set the "Keep WiFI on durring sleep" to Never or Only when plugged in. This will keep the tablet from syncing and polling apps when you dont need it to. I just leave mine on Only when plugged in.....or if I have a need for a message or txt to come through on my verizon app i will set it to Always so i will get a notification when it is in sleep.

Also, some apps will run and poll constantly and cause a drain when you dont use it...or its in screen off or sleep mode. Go to Apps then Running.....see what is listed and you can at least stop them there. Though some will restart again later.

Sassi666

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Though you'll never get 97% after 3 1/2 hours use on the Nexus, that's pretty awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app