Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Okay to use different charger?

I don't have a car charger for my Nexus 7 2013, but I do have a car charger for another device. Can I use that car charger without damaging my device? I just got this a few day ago and I don't want to mess it up. Also, how can I tell if a charger is safe for the Nexus 7 2013? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Okay to use different charger?

What is the voltage output and current capacity of the charger you want to use ?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by ohmslaw View Post
    What is the voltage output and current capacity of the charger you want to use ?
    I have no idea. It is a Verizon car charger. It has dual output too. I will attach a picture. Okay to use different charger?-uploadfromtaptalk1397778263975.jpg
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

You can plug a USB charger in there and use the stock charger at the same time.

For best charging you should try to duplicate the voltage/current supplied by your Nexus in-wall charger. This means you'll need to supply about 1.6A at 5V. Cell phone chargers will generally not supply this. (Take a look at charger's output specs) Result will be a much longer charge time.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

On the cap of the cigarette lighter it says 12 volts. Is that okay?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I believe that this is the charger: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ext...al-output%252F

ROM
    Stock: GNex; dalepl rom

12 volts refers to the car plug. For regular USB chargers, these are pretty generic. You may not get a full ac charge, but it won't damage your n7fhd. My car has USB which I use on Iphones, iPad 4, n4, n5, and both n7's . Before this car, I used this http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Du...0-20&m1k=vb_ac and still use it in our older vehicles.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have used an iPad charger with no issues.

Most phone chargers do not have enough current for the nexus 7. You want 1.2 amps or higher. Phone chargers are often at .5 amps.

Posted via Android Central App