Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By petvas72
  • 1 Post By draconianchaos
  • 1 Post By jbrantley130
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My first Android tablet (Nexus 7) came today. My first impressions

So, I got my first Android tablet ever today. A Nexus 7 32GB LTE model.

When I got the device on my hand I couldn't help noticing how small and light the device is. The material on the back side is not metal, but it feels good and it doesn't give the feeling that the device is cheap. I found the bezels to be too big and I think Google should change that in the next model.
    I wanted to turn on the device, but I couldn't, because I looked for the power button on the top of the device. The button is located on the right side and is somehow not that easy to access.

I booted the device and I was greeted by Google's setup wizard. I set up the device and while I like it, I am not as excited as with my M8. Maybe the M8 steals the show because of its great quality and gorgeous display.
    The display of the Nexus 7 is very nice, the speakers are ok (but not as good as the ones from the M8), and the device feels nice on the hand. I was annoyed to see that the device was almost running low on battery (30%), so I had to put it on the charger in order to update it to Kitkat. I noticed some issues registering screen taps, I hope they were random and only because I was installing 50 apps, copying a lot of files and the device was busy..
    Installing apps was easy, I just went to the Play store and went to the section My Apps, selected the ones I wanted to, and installed them. Stock Android is nice, but I expected to have Google Now taking a whole page, as it is with the Google experience launcher. I thought that it would be the same. Can I still install the Google Now launcher? Does it even make any sense?
    The stock Google keyboard is ok, but I prefer the one from HTC on my M8. I have downloaded a trial of swiftkey and I will test it later. I installed and configured my apps and I am happy with my widgets and the use of the extra space, compared to my M8. Since there are only capacitive buttons on the device I need to always press the power button to turn on the device. This could be done better!
    Another thing missing is an sd card slot. I hope Google gives us the option on the next model..

Copying files to the device was an issue, using my iMac. Even with the Google File Transfer, I couldn't copy a lot of files at the same time, because the connection was always breaking. I ended up copying my files from DropBox..Much easier
    The settings menu is a bit different than on the M8, and especially the power options were not optimal for me. The device was configured to lock when pressing the power button, or/and after 2 mins of inactivity. I changed that because that is absolutely ridiculous..
    Overall I like the Nexus 7. It is very different than using an iPad, it is more like a real computer and I like that.
    What it will definitely help is finding good apps, that take advantage of tablets.

So, do you have to suggest any great programs for my new Nexus 7? Thanks!
    B. Diddy likes this.

Default Re: My first Android tablet (Nexus 7) came today. My first impressions

Google recently (a few weeks ago) released the Google now launcher into play for nexus/gpe(Google play edition) devices. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.launcher

Also with es file Explorer
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gs.android.pop
    You can get the apk file for the sense keyboard from your m8 and install it on your nexus 7. (top left icon>device menu>system folder>app folder>keyboard file)
    Android is awesome like that.
    petvas72 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you so much! I installed Google Now and will also install the keyboard, even if I already installed swype.

Thanks for your writeup! For wireless file transfer, consider apps like AirDroid or Wifi File Explorer. I also find the stock Power Controls toggle bar to be lacking, and the Quick Settings aren't that versatile, so I like Power Toggles, which allows you to place customizable toggle bars on the homescreen, lockscreen or notification shade.

Settings Extended is another nice app for putting toggle bars in the notification shade.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yes, I have Airdroid. An amazing app

I know a custom Rom and kernel that you will love. AOSB Project 4.4.2 latest version and use the glitch kernel. Glitch kernel has a creature called sweep2sleep which means you swipe across the navigation bar to turn the N7 off. It also has what's called doubletap2wake which means you double tap anywhere on the screen to wake the N7 up. Tons off cool features! I highly recommend it! It also gives you the option to install the HTC keyboard on the N7!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    petvas72 likes this.

Creature.....oops I meant feature lol

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by jbrantley130 View Post
    I know a custom Rom and kernel that you will love. AOSB Project 4.4.2 latest version and use the glitch kernel. Glitch kernel has a creature called sweep2sleep which means you swipe across the navigation bar to turn the N7 off. It also has what's called doubletap2wake which means you double tap anywhere on the screen to wake the N7 up. Tons off cool features! I highly recommend it! It also gives you the option to install the HTC keyboard on the N7!

Thanks! I will give it a try as soon as I start playing with different ROMs