Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jerrykur
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Squeaking normal?

I was under the impression that Nexus devices are solid-built and as sturdy as iPads. At least that was my impression when I thoroughly "inspected" a Nexus 7 (2013, black) a while ago in a store. However, the one I got the other day squeaks if I press/hold along the sides (especially) in the middle, or press fingers lightly at the back. I think it was manufactured in March or April, and it's white (also, the white back part feels different from the black one I checked out in the store -- I think the black one was more solid on the back, whereas this one feels more "plastic"). Is this normal, or just a bad batch (or white vs. black model differences)? It feels a bit like MemoPad in this regard...

Default Re: Squeaking normal?

This might sounds silly but do you have a case on it? My case causes a few noises like that on the side, but outside of the case I have nothing like that on my black model. Mine has a very sturdy feel and makes no noise.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No, I'm still looking for a suitable case (I'm guessing there won't be noises once in the case). The "naked", out of the box fresh, is squeaky, it reminds me of MemoPad HD7 I played with a while ago.

My guess it is the back being made out of a different material. White is such a hard color to get right in plastic. White covers always seem to make noise and discolor.

Also, don't expect the Nexus 7 to have the same build quality as an iPad. There is a difference in target markets. The Nexus devices are low cost to gain market share. Apple device are premium build quality at a premium price.
    brosko likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

OK, not exactly the same quality as iPad (it probably wouldn't survive a fall from my hand to the third stair down), but my impression was that it was the sturdiest 7" tablet among androids... (just not the one I got, apparently).

It's probably because of the white back. On white they never seem to be as good. The plastic is always slipperier.

It may just be an isolated issue. My N7 feels solid as a rock, as has every N7 display model I've played with. Of course, my experience could be purely anecdotal as well, but flimsy build isn't a common complaint on these forums.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!