Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can I disable background Sync for Google Play Newsstand?

I was searching for simple tips and tricks on how to speed up my 2013 nexus 7. I stumbled upon this video:

In the video it suggests opening current, going into settings and disabling background sync to help speed up your device. I was going to do this, but when I opened current I was notified that the program is now google play newsstand. When I opened the settings there was no option listed regarding background sync.

Do I need to do something else to disable google news stand from background syncing? Or does google news stand just not use this feature?

Any help would be appreciated

Global Posts
    19,825 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Can I disable background Sync for Google Play Newsstand?

Quote Originally Posted by Terrorizer View Post
    I was searching for simple tips and tricks on how to speed up my 2013 nexus 7. I stumbled upon this video:

In the video it suggests opening current, going into settings and disabling background sync to help speed up your device. I was going to do this, but when I opened current I was notified that the program is now google play newsstand. When I opened the settings there was no option listed regarding background sync.

Do I need to do something else to disable google news stand from background syncing? Or does google news stand just not use this feature?

Any help would be appreciated
    Try this: Go into Settings>Google under Accounts>click on your Google account>uncheck newsstand. (Mine didn't show up, but I have it disabled.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    B. Diddy likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Try this: Go into Settings>Google under Accounts>click on your Google account>uncheck newsstand. (Mine didn't show up, but I have it disabled.
    Will that make a difference or speed up my tablet? Or does that just get rid of news stand?

Global Posts
    19,825 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Will that make a difference or speed up my tablet? Or does that just get rid of news stand?
    It won't speed up the tablet.
    Are you having issues with the device?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It won't speed up the tablet.
    Are you having issues with the device?
    No it works great, I love it. I was just looking into simple tweaks or adjustments I can make to speed it up or improve things. Example: I enabled developer mode (I think thats what its called) and turned the window animations off just so it feels faster. I saw that video and "background sync" sounded like it could bog things down and I really don't use the app so I was seeing if there were any adjustments I could make just to improve things. Sounds like there really no need to, so I'll just leave it be.

Global Posts
    19,825 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

No it works great, I love it. I was just looking into simple tweaks or adjustments I can make to speed it up or improve things. Example: I enabled developer mode (I think thats what its called) and turned the window animations off just so it feels faster. I saw that video and "background sync" sounded like it could bog things down and I really don't use the app so I was seeing if there were any adjustments I could make just to improve things. Sounds like there really no need to, so I'll just leave it be.
    Syncing doesn't really bog things down. The sync happens on intervals, and not often during the day. I think it is at least once per day and at night, like 2 AM (at least for me it usually is).

Phone Timeline
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.

Currents used to be a big battery and memory hog, but Google phased it out in favor of Newsstand, which does not exhibit the same problems. So I agree with Golfdriver97, disabling Newsstand sync won't speed anything up. If you never use it, you could always Disable it.

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Syncing doesn't really bog things down. The sync happens on intervals, and not often during the day. I think it is at least once per day and at night, like 2 AM (at least for me it usually is).
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Currents used to be a big battery and memory hog, but Google phased it out in favor of Newsstand, which does not exhibit the same problems. So I agree with Golfdriver97, disabling Newsstand sync won't speed anything up. If you never use it, you could always Disable it.

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    Cool, thanks for the info guys.
    Thanked by: