Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Not all files in the Download folder are visible in Windows Explorer

    Good morning,

    I am new to Android so I may be overlooking something, but my Googling has resulted in nada. I'm usually pretty good at wording searches to find something, but not finding anything makes me concerned that this is an unusual problem or something so simple it should be obvious to me.

    Anyway... I have a Nexus 7 (2013). Here's my issue:

    I downloaded two files from Chrome, an apk and a zip, and they were saved in the "Download" folder.
    I saved a QuickOffice xlsx file to the "Download" folder. (No other option)
    I view the "Download" folder in a local File Manager and all three files are visible.
    I plug in Nexus 7 to my PC via USB and view the "Download" folder in Windows Explorer. I only see the apk file. Naturally, I expected to see all of the files and feel like I should be able to.

    What do I need to do to have access to all files in the "Download", and other folders for that matter?

    Thanks!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Not all files in the Download folder are visible in Windows Explorer

    You should be able to see the files, there is nothing obviously wrong with your setup. The only thing that comes to my mind is that MTP connections in Windows can be flaky. Try to restart your tablet while it is still connected to the PC and see if the files show up after that.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Not all files in the Download folder are visible in Windows Explorer

    Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyForce9 View Post
    I view the "Download" folder in a local File Manager and all three files are visible.
    You're sure they were all in the same directory? I thought Chrome had its own Download folder (independent of the system Download folder).

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Not all files in the Download folder are visible in Windows Explorer

    That worked. Thanks!

    It appears that I'm going to have to restart every time to see new files though. That makes using my Nexus an impractical solution for taking notes at work. (No Wifi). Any possible long term fix?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Not all files in the Download folder are visible in Windows Explorer

    That's an excellent question and I tried to investigate that. On the Nexus, I can see all files when navigating to the following folders:

    /storage/emulated/0/Download
    /storage/emulated/legacy/Download
    /storage/sdcard0/Download
    /sdcard/Download

    My guess is that there are symbolic links or mounting going on here. Restarting it works, so somethings having an issue refreshing the contents of which ever folder is the really folder.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Not all files in the Download folder are visible in Windows Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyForce9 View Post
    That worked. Thanks!

    It appears that I'm going to have to restart every time to see new files though. That makes using my Nexus an impractical solution for taking notes at work. (No Wifi). Any possible long term fix?
    That's strange, I've never seen a behavior like that. But I think I have a similar, probably related problem: When I create a folder on my tablet (using Solid Explorer) the folder will either be invisible in Windows Explorer or it will show up as a single file, not a directory. I never found a solution for that.

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Not all files in the Download folder are visible in Windows Explorer

    Have you tried using ES File Explorer's FTP server? You'll get a wireless connection. I don't think it's worth plugging/unplugging cable for routine file transfer, because apparently the micro-USB has a limited life.


    ...But as for cable plug-in, I had a similar problem in Linux, I noticed that the PC's file manager occasionally doesn't refresh, but plugging/unplugging cable fixes it.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Not all files in the Download folder are visible in Windows Explorer

    Hi cab2, I don't have a wifi available at work, so I have to do sneaker net.

    Based on the info and suggestions from this thread which lead me to other info gathering (thanks), I found a work-around. It has to do with an index not being update when file activity occurs or, at the very least, a periodic update. Restarting the tablet kicks off the reindexing which also can be triggered by some apps out there. I downloaded an app called Rescan SD and ran it after creating a new file on the tablet as well as copying a new file to it. The rescanning updated the index for the Windows Explorer view; however, when I use QuickOffice to open a file the folder contents have not updated: the file copied isn't there as well as files that I've deleted are still listed.

    What I'm doing here isn't rocket surgery and I wouldn't think that it is that uncommon, so I'm baffled on why the indexing isn't trigger per folder after updates. The Rescan app does a full re-indexing of the "sdcard" path, so as I fill the tablet, the time it takes to rescan is going to take longer and longer.

    Again, I'm new to Android and starting with the recent KitKat, so maybe it's a glitch introduced with this version or... [insert other hypothesis here].
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Not all files in the Download folder are visible in Windows Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyForce9 View Post
    Hi cab2, I don't have a wifi available at work, so I have to do sneaker net.

    Based on the info and suggestions from this thread which lead me to other info gathering (thanks), I found a work-around. It has to do with an index not being update when file activity occurs or, at the very least, a periodic update. Restarting the tablet kicks off the reindexing which also can be triggered by some apps out there. I downloaded an app called Rescan SD and ran it after creating a new file on the tablet as well as copying a new file to it. The rescanning updated the index for the Windows Explorer view; however, when I use QuickOffice to open a file the folder contents have not updated: the file copied isn't there as well as files that I've deleted are still listed.

    What I'm doing here isn't rocket surgery and I wouldn't think that it is that uncommon, so I'm baffled on why the indexing isn't trigger per folder after updates. The Rescan app does a full re-indexing of the "sdcard" path, so as I fill the tablet, the time it takes to rescan is going to take longer and longer.

    Again, I'm new to Android and starting with the recent KitKat, so maybe it's a glitch introduced with this version or... [insert other hypothesis here].
    There's no need to restart your tablet. You can go to ES File Explorer's "LAN" tab, refresh, login to your PC and transfer the files directly.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 92
    Last Post: 05-27-2014, 11:18 AM
  2. Best Casing for the Z2
    By thatdennis in forum Sony Xperia Z2
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 11:48 AM
  3. Why there no co-ordination among apps in Android ?
    By ilikeandroid123 in forum AT&T HTC One
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 01:46 PM
  4. Not 'logged in' to comment on blogs.
    By Madd54 in forum Android Central Apps
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 10:59 AM
  5. Changing the default app for opening photos
    By Vasilios Ladas in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 07:14 AM

Posting Permissions