Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

Default Nexus 7 (2013) Helium backup

Does this app really work to back up app data on the nexus 7, it has mixed reviews on the play store as some say yes and some say no, just wondering what you guys think.
    My nexus is not rooted.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Helium backup

Yes it will work without root but I believe without root you have to have your device plugged into your computer whenever your reboot so it can sync.

If your rooted this isn't necessary.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) Helium backup

It has mixed reviews for good reason - for the most part it does work, allowing you to backup/restore the apps and their data (or just the data if you prefer), but I've run into these two main issues:
    - there are some apps where it just won't backup the data (it identifies them during the backup so at least you know up front that you'll be out of luck)
    - there are some apps where it won't restore the data that you think it successfully backed up (this is a much more insidious problem, and there's no way to tell except by experience which ones will have this problem)
    There are also some issues with the UI, the biggest being that if you choose to backup the app itself, you have to be quick on the trigger finger to select that you also want to backup the app data - that's an additional prompt that appears and goes away pretty quickly after the backup starts, and if you're not looking for it you can easily miss it, ending up with no data to restore.

The free version is quite usable so you should experiment with it before plunking down your hard-earned $$$ on the full version.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

Thanks guys.

The reason I am asking is that I want to get the wife the newer nexus 7 and need to transfer all her game data over.

You would think android would have a way of doing this but hopefully they will in the next version.

I use Nexus Root Toolkit. You don't actually need root privileges to use its backup functionality and it seems to be more reliable than Helium:
    WugFresh
    Thanked by:
    GSDer 

Global Posts
    572 Global Posts

I know I'm a bit late but don't use it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraMelua View Post
    I use Nexus Root Toolkit. You don't actually need root privileges to use its backup functionality and it seems to be more reliable than Helium:
    WugFresh
    That on the play store?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Samsung Galaxy S2 on O2 UK

Quote Originally Posted by ruhban View Post
    I know I'm a bit late but don't use it!!!

Why's that?

tgp

Global Posts
    2,275 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by novahob View Post
    That on the play store?
    No, it's for a PC.
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    572 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by novahob View Post
    Why's that?

I used it to back up my apps and games onto my Nexus 7 2013 but they weren't actually backed up. I even copied the backup file for each app and game to my PC and I was never able to restore them. Please make sure you find a different solution - I don't want you disappointed like I was.

Posted via my Z10 using Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by ruhban View Post
    I used it to back up my apps and games onto my Nexus 7 2013 but they weren't actually backed up. I even copied the backup file for each app and game to my PC and I was never able to restore them. Please make sure you find a different solution - I don't want you disappointed like I was.

Posted via my Z10 using Android Central App
    I've used it to do restores on the same device (different devices too) and also transfer app data/apk from my n7 2012 to my n7 2013, and it worked well from my experience.

For what it is worth I dont believe Helium suppotrs multiple user profiles. So if you have more than one profile on your device you may not be able to back them up.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Helium messed up how my n7 connected to my PC, I had to reinstall the adb drivers to get my PC to recognize the device