Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question question about factory reset, does it actually help?

my refurbished tablet restarted itself yesterday three times, and i restarted it once myself to clean the cache.

so asus people told me to do a factory reset. i think that there are two ways to do it.
    1. thru the setting
    2. power off, and power on while pressing the power button, etc.

do those two things do the same reset ?

---
    also, does factory reset actually solve any problems? i already did a cache clean, and after that it rebooted itself twice afterwards yesterday.

Global Posts
    20,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: question about factory reset, does it actually help?

To me, resets are over suggested. Many times, there are better, and easier ways to accomplish the same thing with less hassle. Troubleshooting basics are try the most simple thing first. In your case, since you already cleared the cache, you have already done so. Will a reset help? I am not sure.

Have you done anything to the tablet, aside from installing apps, i.e. rooting, changing files, etc?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Reset -- soft or factory? Nexus 7: How to Hard and Soft Reset I'd do a soft reset first. Just hold down the power button until the screen goes black and wait for the google logo to reappear. The reason they told you to do a factory reset is because it is probably one of the apps you've downloaded that is causing the problem. In my case, it was a game. I did a soft reset, got rid of the game, no more problem. Also I find that the bluetooth often wrecks havoc so unless I'm actually using it, I have bluetooth turned off. It's worth a try rather than wiping your whole tablet clean.

If you suspect that it may be apps causing your issue you can just try rebooting into Safe mode - if your problem goes away then some 3rd party app is at fault.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    brosko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by preppystud View Post
    my refurbished tablet restarted itself yesterday three times, and i restarted it once myself to clean the cache.

so asus people told me to do a factory reset. i think that there are two ways to do it.
    1. thru the setting
    2. power off, and power on while pressing the power button, etc.

do those two things do the same reset ?

---
    also, does factory reset actually solve any problems? i already did a cache clean, and after that it rebooted itself twice afterwards yesterday.
    A factory reset by itself will not solve your problems.... however... if you do a factory reset and run just the apps that come with the Nexus (update the stock apps after the reset) for a few days it can go a long way in diagnosing your problem. If you go a few days with just the updated stock apps without a reboot then it is probably an app issue. If it does reboot with only updated stock apps then it is a device issue.

Posted via Android Central App
    You can observe a lot by watching- Yogi Berra