BBC iPlayer stuttering

paddcomp

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Using iPlayer I've downloaded some programmes to my tablet, I'm having issues with playback. The picture and sound stutters once you're 15mins or more in to watching. As it's downloaded it shouldn't be a buffering issue, I regularly clear memory using Clean Sweep.
Anyone else have this, or know of a fix?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Using iPlayer I've downloaded some programmes to my tablet, I'm having issues with playback. The picture and sound stutters once you're 15mins or more in to watching. As it's downloaded it shouldn't be a buffering issue, I regularly clear memory using Clean Sweep.
Anyone else have this, or know of a fix?

Welcome to the forums.
Have you tried another video player from Play?

paddcomp

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
You should contact the app developer and see what they suggest.
From BBC iPlayer website.

Android Downloads – Playback issues

We’re aware of a couple of issues affecting Android 4 KitKat users in regards to playing programmes.

1. Video remaining as a black screen but with audio continuing. This is affecting all versions of Android 4.4.

If you get a frozen or black screen, you can usually fix it by pressing the back button to the programme information page, then tapping play again.

2. Playback starts to degrade after about 15 minutes of continuous normal playback of a downloaded programme. This issue is specific to Android version 4.4.3.

We’re working with Google to fix these bugs. Please be sure to accept future upgrades to your BBC iPlayer app and Android firmware so any fixes can take effect.

andyhurley

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear some people have seen it working at last but I tried it again this week and got the stuttering again. For me it can't be fixed by stopping and starting unless you use a live stream, downloaded files stutter regardless. As for whoever mentioned using another video player, they clearly don't understand what iplayer is, you can't use another player for that content as it is not a standard video file. The only solution is to do an illegal download of the video from somewhere else which is not really an option.

I'm wondering if, since it started with KitKat, it will be fixed when we finally get Lolipop...

D_Beds

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I've got a Nexus 9 and playback of downloaded iplayer content is fine but live TV is stuttering for me and the sound is really poor quality and keeps going out of sync. It's not my wifi connection because my HTC One plays fine and I have no problems streaming Internet radio or YouTube content.

I got the Lollipop 5.0.1 update yesterday and have got the latest versions of both iPlayer and the BBC Media Player but it still isn't fixed. Has anyone else had this problem or only with downloaded programmes?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
BBC seems to lag behind in fully updating iPlayer for major system updates. In another thread on this topic, a member says that he emailed the developer, and received a response stating that they're aware of the issue and are working on an update. No ETA for when it will be ready, though.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames