New Nexus 7 keyboard issues - how to handle repair/replacement.

ams284

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello –

I purchased a Nexus 7 (2013) from Amazon last week.* I seem to be experiencing some of the same screen/keyboard issues that plagued earlier versions of the tablet.* For example, almost every time I am using the keyboard, my key strokes are normally doubled.* If I intend to type “double” I end up with “ddoubble”.* I would say this normally happens with roughly 50% of my keystrokes.

I am not sure how to handle going about getting a replacement device.* I’m afraid of getting another device from Amazon with the same issues.* Should I just go straight to Asus/Google for repair?*

Posted via Android Central App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend that you contact Amazon. The likelihood is pretty small that you'd get another defective unit.

On that topic - did this problem start right away? Are you using the stock keyboard?
Are you holding the unit when this occurs or is it laying flat and not being touched?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

ams284

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the problem started right out of the box.* I first noticed it during the initial configuration of the device.* I am always holding the device in a portrait orientation, so I have not tried to see if I can replicate the issue while the device is on a flat surface.* I am also using the stock keyboard.*

I also noticed a double keystroke a few times using gesture typing.* The gesture double keystroke occurs less frequently.*

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Ah, well - time to contact Amazon for a replacement.

I only asked about whether you've been using it on a flat surface (where you're not holding it with your other hand) because there's another thread that makes it seem like the touch feature doesn't work well if you're not also holding/touching it.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

ams284

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Ah, well - time to contact Amazon for a replacement.

I only asked about whether you've been using it on a flat surface (where you're not holding it with your other hand) because there's another thread that makes it seem like the touch feature doesn't work well if you're not also holding/touching it.

I'm going to reach out to Amazon tonight for a replacement. Hopefully the new Nexus I get doesn't have this problem.

I downloaded SwiftKey to test and see if the issues is still present, thinking it may be the stock keyboard, but the issue is still present.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
if you just press one key then wait a second, do you still get double letters?

sometimes, maybe you were shaking, you just didn't realize that.

ams284

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
if you just press one key then wait a second, do you still get double letters?

sometimes, maybe you were shaking, you just didn't realize that.

Yeah. I actually typed my previous post pressing each letter slowly. I got multiple double presses. The most frustrating of which was when I typed SwiftKey. When I pressed "i", I ended up receiving "uio" as the input.

I contacted Amazon and they are already shipping a replacement. Hopefully the new one does not have this issue.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer