Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default nexus 7 charging issues because of bad connection

I have been having issues charging my nexus lately after trying several cables that all used to work I determined that the connection in the tablet is loose. It will only charge if I hold the charger or place some weight on it by placing a book on it.

Is this something that is covered under warranty
    The tablet is about 7 months old thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: nexus 7 charging issues because of bad connection

I got my N7 as a refurb, so I don't know what the standard warranty is for a new unit. If the warranty period is one year then that should certainly be covered. You'll probably have to pay S/H one-way.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks

I was at best buy for something else and I asked one of their employees if that would be covered under warranty and they said yes it should be but if there is any external damage which includes a scratch on the screen it will void the warranty??? I really hope this guy has some bad info because I do have some scratches on the screen and I'm sure others do as well and if this voids the warranty that is some BS!!!

I will contact Asus tomorrow

I had the same problem but it was easily remedied. I bought a new charger from New Trent and a new cable from monoprice. (Total cost $30). Problem solved.

If it is not covered you can get a wireless charger. I love wireless charging.

You can observe a lot by watching- Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinDroid View Post
    If it is not covered you can get a wireless charger. I love wireless charging.

I agree about wireless charging. Once you go wireless it is hard to go back to plug in a cable. Also at&t has/has Nokia charging pads on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post
    I agree about wireless charging. Once you go wireless it is hard to go back to plug in a cable. Also at&t has/has Nokia charging pads on sale.

I agree 100%! Once you start wireless charging connecting the cable to charge becomes ridiculous. I wont even buy a tablet if it doesnt have wireless charging thats how great of a feature it is.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

So im thinking of going w/wireless charging and not bothering sending the tablet in for repair. I have a feeling that my warranty will be voided anyway because on two corners a small piece of black plastic chiped off.
    Can i power the wireless charger from a usb in my car since that is where i use it the majority of the time?
    Can someone recommend a wireless charger and anything else i need to make it work?

Thanks again

Yeah you just plug it in to a usb port to charge. I have this one:

Amazon.com: CHOE UPGRADED Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad for S5, Nexus 5, Nexus 7(2013) , Nexus 4,Nokia Lumia 1020/ 920/928, MOTO Droid Maxx/Droid Mini,HTC Droid DNA, HTC Rzound,Blackberry Z30,Pentax WG-III camera,Samsung, Google, LG, HTC and Other

it works great! Since you are going to be using it in a vehicle you may want to get one with a magnet to keep the device in place better. This one does not have a magnet.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I actually have it mounted in my dash, but made it easily removable so i can take it in if needed. I do not want one with a magnet as that may make it very difficult to remove. Does that charger have to physically touch the tablet or just be very close to it?
    Im thinking i want one that does not require it to touch because the tablet slides into a fiberglass enclosure i made in my dash which is 100% complete. Adding this wireless device that needs to touch the tablet after the fact will be very difficult.
    I can easily get it very close i would say a gap of 1/16" max between the two

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by pjoseph View Post
    I can easily get it very close i would say a gap of 1/16" max between the two
    I thought I read that it had to be within 5mm or so. Perhaps someone can post a more factual answer.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Ok got it thanks again

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_(i...ower_standard) notes that the typical separation between the coils is 5mm, although it can be extended up to 4cm. (I haven't seen any devices advertise that gap but I'm no expert.)

About 5mm is all they will go before losing connection with the tablet to charge. (About the thickness of a really thick case)