Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50
Like Tree5Likes
  1. #26  
    ziffos's Avatar

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    I have owned both and still have the 3G LTE version - never had an issue with either.
    The Nexus 7 (2013) is a true beauty.
  2. #27  
    mattmatt299's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    I thought about waiting for the successor. But the rumors are that the Nexus 8 will be around $400. So instead I upgraded from the 1st gen to the 2nd gen Nexus 7 for $140 open box off ebay. I just don't want to spend $400 my small tablet (I often surf on my iPad while watching podcasts on the Nexus).

    The 2nd gen Nexus 7 is a huge improvement over the first gen. There is very little battery drain in standby, the screen is much much better, and the device is very responsive. I think its a great deal at the $140 mark and can't be beat.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
  3. #28  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    I have two Nexus 7 about a year old and I love them both.

    Posted via Android Central App
    spackmanstephen likes this.
  4. #29  
    maxburn's Avatar

    Posts
    451 Posts
    Global Posts
    549 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Had mine for a long time and it's an excellent tablet marred only by touch screen issues and the LTE model not really being a nexus device with delayed updates and left out of L preview. At the moment I'm feeling like the browser could be a lot faster, it's pretty well shamed even by my nexus 5. The hardware is fairly well dated, keep in mind this has a lot in common with the Nexus 4.

    I'd wait till spring for the next one if you didn't need one now but if you really need/want it's still a good device. Skip LTE and consider used?
  5. #30  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Mine is still doing it's thing. No issues since day one.

    Highly recommend it to anyone.

    the big print giveth, the small print taketh
  6. #31  
    blackguard's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dc9super80 View Post
    You guys are current owners and love the device. But would you recommend it right now, at this stage in the game? Or would it be wiser to wait on a possible successor.
    Maybe. Mine competes pound for pound extremely well against the iPad mini retina in our house and I've always been very pleased with it. I said maybe because I upgrade my tech annually. If I didn't already own this tablet I would more than likely not buy until the Fall tablets are out to see what's cooking in the pure Google sub-$400 tablet space. I'm also likely going to be upping my screen size too, I'm pretty much over the mini tablet phase. Using this for too long gives me blurry vision for about 5 min when I set it down. Probably have to increase my price limit.

    At this stage in the game, my next tablet will have to have either Android L already on it or be a Nexus/Silver so it gets it right away.
  7. #32  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackguard View Post
    Maybe. Mine competes pound for pound extremely well against the iPad mini retina in our house and I've always been very pleased with it. I said maybe because I upgrade my tech annually. If I didn't already own this tablet I would more than likely not buy until the Fall tablets are out to see what's cooking in the pure Google sub-$400 tablet space. I'm also likely going to be upping my screen size too, I'm pretty much over the mini tablet phase. Using this for too long gives me blurry vision for about 5 min when I set it down. Probably have to increase my price limit.

    At this stage in the game, my next tablet will have to have either Android L already on it or be a Nexus/Silver so it gets it right away.
    Thanks for your response. Though its tempting because I don't currently have a tablet, I think it is worth the wait to see what everyone brings to the table this fall.

    Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
  8. #33  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dc9super80 View Post
    Thanks for your response. Though its tempting because I don't currently have a tablet, I think it is worth the wait to see what everyone brings to the table this fall.

    Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    I agree. I'm excited to see the tablets that come out for this holiday season. I am probably going pick up a new toy to supplement my nexus 7 and Sgt 3 8.0
    Notice I said supplement and not replace.
  9. #34  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    I had the 2012 Nexus 7 then my wife bought me the 2013 edition for Christmas and I gave her the older one. I think they built the 2013 Nexus 7 with a far better shelf life than the first one. I got the 2012 almost a year after it came out and I noticed little lags then. My wife complains that it's dreadfully slow now. But a year into the 2013 Nexus 7 life and it's still lightning fast.

    So I would say, yeah, it's still a good buy.
  10. #35  
    blackguard's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dc9super80 View Post
    Thanks for your response. Though its tempting because I don't currently have a tablet, I think it is worth the wait to see what everyone brings to the table this fall.

    Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    No problem ☺
    There's just one thing I wanted to add to my earlier post. I did some side by side comparison with the mini retina yesterday and noticed there is just a tiny hint of occasional stutter the N7 shows when you quickly rotate the screen between portrait and landscape whereas the mini has literally zero stutter or delay.
    So I decided to make a project out of eliminating it. The closest I could get was to uninstall Zooper widgets and limit my home screen to one clock/weather widget and turn on developer options to lower transition times to 0.5.
    It should be noted that ART will mostly close the gap between ios7 and Android on this front on the next version and a regular user isn't even going to notice it let alone care because it's so miniscule. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to UI speeds and transitions.
    Thanked by:
  11. #36  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackguard View Post
    No problem ☺
    There's just one thing I wanted to add to my earlier post. I did some side by side comparison with the mini retina yesterday and noticed there is just a tiny hint of occasional stutter the N7 shows when you quickly rotate the screen between portrait and landscape whereas the mini has literally zero stutter or delay.
    So I decided to make a project out of eliminating it. The closest I could get was to uninstall Zooper widgets and limit my home screen to one clock/weather widget and turn on developer options to lower transition times to 0.5.
    It should be noted that ART will mostly close the gap between ios7 and Android on this front on the next version and a regular user isn't even going to notice it let alone care because it's so miniscule. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to UI speeds and transitions.
    ART is something I think makes the wait worthwhile. I too am quite OCD when it comes to UI speed.

    Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
  12. #37  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Will be keeping my 2013 till it breaks. No reason to upgrade as it will keep doing what the newer one does for years to come.
  13. #38  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Kickass

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #39  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    I was trying to make this decision not to long ago myself. Like others have said I don't think the next version, when ever it comes out, will be 7". Bigger screen size means higher $$$. Pretty hard to beat this device for $200. I went ahead and bought one and have to say I'm pretty happy with the decision.
  15. #40  
    MilnerR's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Had mine about 6-7 months and it has performed flawlessly, I've occasionally found myself wanting a new toy, but I can't honestly justify spending money on another 7 or 8 inch tablet when the N7 is doing such a good job. If my current N7 got stolen or smashed, I'd be looking at another one to replace it in all likelihood.
    Last edited by MilnerR; 07-24-2014 at 09:23 AM.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  
    bitek's Avatar

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,520 Global Posts

    Default Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by JWG2011 View Post
    I was trying to make this decision not to long ago myself. Like others have said I don't think the next version, when ever it comes out, will be 7". Bigger screen size means higher $$$. Pretty hard to beat this device for $200. I went ahead and bought one and have to say I'm pretty happy with the decision.
    Yes you are right that the price of N7 is hard to beat. However I have decided to go with IPad Mini with Retina display. I just found nexus 7 screen to cramped. 7 inch feels too small for me. I bought both tablets so I could compare them side by side. What I found is that

    1. nexus 7 is slower in real action. chrome browser loads the same web pages faster on ipad than nexus 7
    2. iPad has better apps. I just find that there are too phone only apps available for n7
    3. I just feel iPad is better built than n7. I think iPad will last me much longer. There are just too many complaints about n7 for it to be just a rumor.


    I could go for samsung tablet but I just cannot stand samsung android customizations


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bitek; 07-18-2014 at 07:05 AM.
  17. #42  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post
    Yes you are right that the price is hard to beat. However I have decided to go with IPad Mini with Retina display. I just found nexus 7 screen to cramped. iPad is pretty much double the cost of nexus 7 but it is also superior device. Nexus 7 is slower and not just on the paper but in real action (I got both tablets so I could compare them both side by side). it took forever to charge nexus 7 that I got from the store and there are just too many bad stories about n7 online. I just feel ipad will last me much longer than n7. Lastly ipad apps are superior to n7. There are just too many blown up phone versions.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    While I disagree with you on a few points, I definitely disagree with the charging. Using the wall adaptor and cord that came with it, it charges blazingly fast for me.
    I suppose for me being the key words.

    Sent from my Nexus 7
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  
    bitek's Avatar

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,520 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TOTtomdora View Post
    While I disagree with you on a few points, I definitely disagree with the charging. Using the wall adaptor and cord that came with it, it charges blazingly fast for me.
    I suppose for me being the key words.

    Sent from my Nexus 7
    This might just be the case. Perhaps one that I got has battery problems. It was sitting for exactly 1 year before bought it.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  19. #44  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    I have an S5 and a nexus 7_13. When I am at home my phone is pretty much only used as a phone. My point is that performance wise the nexus 7 is not a factor. There is no reason whatsoever for me to use the phone with the better specs. I even text with the tablet using the Verizon messaging app.

    Yes, it is still a good buy today.

    Posted via Android Central App
    brosko likes this.
  20. #45  
    blackguard's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post
    Yes you are right that the price of N7 is hard to beat. However I have decided to go with IPad Mini with Retina display. I just found nexus 7 screen to cramped. 7 inch feels too small for me. I bought both tablets so I could compare them side by side. What I found is that

    1. nexus 7 is slower in real action. chrome browser loads the same web pages faster on ipad than nexus 7
    2. iPad has better apps. I just find that there are too phone only apps available for n7
    3. I just feel iPad is better built than n7. I think iPad will last me much longer. There are just too many complaints about n7 for it to be just a rumor.


    I could go for samsung tablet but I just cannot stand samsung android customizations


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't completely disagree but there are a few points I want to comment on since we have both in the house.

    1. Out of the box yes. Over time 4.4 will slow down a bit and requires some messing around to keep speed maintained. I'm seeing good reports about ART so far so this point may change. As it is right now it's a small difference but it's there if you're doing a side by side and actively looking for it.

    2. That's actually not as much of an issue as people make out to be because the n7 UI is more phablet based than tablet so phone UI apps are suitable for it.

    3. Agreed, but the mini also has known issues. Not as many though. However that's also reflected in the price difference which gets more noticeable in the 32gb size.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  
    bitek's Avatar

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,520 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackguard View Post
    I don't completely disagree but there are a few points I want to comment on since we have both in the house.

    1. Out of the box yes. Over time 4.4 will slow down a bit and requires some messing around to keep speed maintained. I'm seeing good reports about ART so far so this point may change. As it is right now it's a small difference but it's there if you're doing a side by side and actively looking for it.

    2. That's actually not as much of an issue as people make out to be because the n7 UI is more phablet based than tablet so phone UI apps are suitable for it.

    3. Agreed, but the mini also has known issues. Not as many though. However that's also reflected in the price difference which gets more noticeable in the 32gb size.
    Yes price difference is significant. I definitely like n7 speakers better. I think it is mistake that ipad speakers are on one side only. The cost of ipad is basically double of n7. I pad for ipad $470 Can (32gb) and nexus 7 is 269can. Still i do not regreat parking extra for iPad. It is just better tablet IMO.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  22. #47  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    The Nexus 7 is an incredible deal for the price. When I shopped for mine, I could not believe what it offers compared to other models costing HUNDREDS more. I would still recommend it.

    As for the screen size, I purchased a case that has a built-in keyboard so the whole screen is used when typing/texting, etc. Works great. I prefer the smaller size, for portability and convenience.
  23. #48  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Gibbens View Post
    I purchased a case that has a built-in keyboard so the whole screen is used when typing/texting, etc.
    Which case is that?

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  24. #49  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    Thanked by:
    GSDer 
    GSDer likes this.
  25. #50  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

    7 months here with a few hours daily use and I haven't had a single issue. The Nexus was my first tablet because it was the first to come out that really convinced me I wanted one. It has a gorgeous display and is highly customizable. I take mine with me everywhere and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Dropped Nexus 5 in water, is it a cheap repair?
    By Hkyoho in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2014, 01:39 AM
  2. I finally had to do it.
    By AndyOpie150 in forum Optimus V Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 04:32 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 08:03 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2014, 12:27 AM
  5. Nexus 5 Just Rooted
    By kivancalduran in forum Nexus 5 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 08:00 AM

Posting Permissions