Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Current status of the Nexus 7?

I was browsing around, thinking of maybe adding a Nexus 7 to my device collection.

Google Play Store is out of stock on several models but does have the 32GB LTE version in stock at $349.00.

Curiously, I noticed that Staples.com is selling (what I assume is) the same model at "Clearance" discount for $320.90. Is it likely that the Nexus 7 is being phased out?

Carrier
    4.1.2 stock JB

Default Re: Current status of the Nexus 7?

Yep, Nexus 7 2nd Gen was released a year ago (July 26th) So in word of Technology it's about time to phase it out. They might release a new Nexus Tablet by the End of this week. That clearance price will go down even more
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by skyrockett View Post
    Yep, Nexus 7 2nd Gen was released a year ago (July 26th) So in word of Technology it's about time to phase it out. They might release a new Nexus Tablet by the End of this week. That clearance price will go down even more
    Really?

Carrier
    4.1.2 stock JB

yes

Does that mean that Google will stop updating N7? GPS navigation does not work without an internet connection. Any chance they will ever fix that?

$349.00 is still a lot of money. What does the LTE version do that the regular N7 doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by cab2 View Post
    Does that mean that Google will stop updating N7?
    No, Google will continue to provide OS updates - that's what makes a Nexus a Nexus.
    GPS navigation does not work without an internet connection.
    I thought you could use Google Maps in Offline mode?
    What does the LTE version do that the regular N7 doesn't?
    It has a mobile data connection like a smartphone (of course it requires its own data plan $$$).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Nexus 7 2013 GPS will work without an Internet connection with a GPS app like Sygic. Google Maps requires an internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary300 View Post
    Nexus 7 2013 GPS will work without an Internet connection with a GPS app like Sygic. Google Maps requires an internet connection.
    GPS navigation was a major selling point for me. Google should make their stuff work before they sell it!

You need a ~2GB of data in the N7 for North America or EU. Why doesn't Google make that available, even as an optional download?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Does that mean that Google will stop updating N7? GPS navigation does not work without an internet connection. Any chance they will ever fix that?

$349.00 is still a lot of money. What does the LTE version do that the regular N7 doesn't?
    I just went to BestBuy during lunch and purchased the 32GB Nexus 7 LTE model for $299. The shelf price (and online) said $349, but when the guy rang it up it came up as $299.

I have 30 days to return it if something better comes along.

If you mean Google Maps, then it need a connection to download maps. Although you were supposed to be able to download some ahead of time. But, the bottom line is that it was never meant to be a standalone GPS navigator like a Garmin with a big multi GB map database. Google is a cloud centric company.