Nexus 7 (2013) - How long before problems?

Alniter

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a Nexus 7 (2013 model) just under a year ago. I am now sending it back for the second time. The first was because of pixels missing from the back-facing camera after 5 months. Now it won't boot past the Google screen, and won't go into restore mode either (if you get to the restore menu and hit 'power' like you're supposed to, it just tries to reboot again). I searched online for other possible solutions, but most folks forget that not everyone knows what "root", "flash" and the like means so they lose me before they get me. Fortunately, it's under warranty for 2 more weeks so back it goes, losing the pix and other downloads I had on it. Again.

Are these tablets supposed to last long? Are major problems in the first year the exception or the rule? It's great when it works, in fact I love it. But if it's back at the shop it might as well be a paper pad with a pencil attached. The lesson learned is to always send my pix/downloaded files elsewhere for backup, but with this wondrous technology, should we really have to?

Steve
Frustrated
Florida

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a Nexus 7 (2013 model) just under a year ago. I am now sending it back for the second time. The first was because of pixels missing from the back-facing camera after 5 months. Now it won't boot past the Google screen, and won't go into restore mode either (if you get to the restore menu and hit 'power' like you're supposed to, it just tries to reboot again). I searched online for other possible solutions, but most folks forget that not everyone knows what "root", "flash" and the like means so they lose me before they get me. Fortunately, it's under warranty for 2 more weeks so back it goes, losing the pix and other downloads I had on it. Again.

Are these tablets supposed to last long? Are major problems in the first year the exception or the rule? It's great when it works, in fact I love it. But if it's back at the shop it might as well be a paper pad with a pencil attached. The lesson learned is to always send my pix/downloaded files elsewhere for backup, but with this wondrous technology, should we really have to?

Steve
Frustrated
Florida

Try dropbox for cloud file and pic storage. You get 50 gb free with the purchase of a samsung pro or s series tablet I think.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
as a person who has sent this thing for 7 times, i am not surprised at all.

their repair procedures usually are: reinstall the system, if that doesn't work, the 2nd time they will reinstall the motherboard. if that doesn't work, the 3rd time, they will send you a refurbished tablet.

that is it.

cab2

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Bad pixels on the camera sensor? Bad luck, it should be replaced under warranty. Normally though, the battery dies ~3 yrs later, and you have to decide if it's worth spending $50+ to replace it.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

A bad camera is definitely not normal. So yeah, it was just bad luck. Cameras are so awful on tablets (all of them) that I don't even bother with them anymore. My 2010 HTC Rezound takes (significantly) better pictures than my 2013 Nexus 7. My droid 1 might even take comparable pictures.

You should always be backing up your photos no matter what device you are using. What if someone steals your device or your drop it? Cloud storage these days is cheap and reliable and easy to use. Box.com is my new favorite service, but Drive and Dropbox are just as good in most ways, and they are all free.