Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By physioprof
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Default nexus 7 excessive battery usage

So i was play Magic 2015 at work plugged in at maybe 25% brightness when i checked my battery. It was at 20%. I will apply screen shots.

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nexus 7 excessive battery usage-16206.jpg   nexus 7 excessive battery usage-16207.jpg  

Default Re: nexus 7 excessive battery usage

Welcome to Android Central! That's not unusual battery usage. It looks like you were playing Magic for most of the time, and the screen was on almost the whole time. So it looks like you had around 5 hours of total screen-on time, with battery to spare, and you weren't even starting at 100%. On my 2013 N7, I usually get 5-6 hours of total screen-on time per charge, which is normal. The 8-9 hour screen time you see advertised refers to video tests where they have the device running a video and doing nothing else, which eases the strain on the CPU and battery. But in the real world, people open and close apps, switch between apps, and do various things that use a varying amount of CPU and battery, so those video tests always overestimate.

But it was plugged in and charging almost the entire time.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Oh I see--sorry, I missed that! Keeping a device on charger doesn't necessarily mean the battery won't continue to drain if you're using an app that is resource heavy. Was it plugged into a wall outlet or a computer USB outlet? USB outlets give significantly lower current, so charging is also slower and less effective.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

I was using a lovely wallwart that is rated at 5V 750 mA. The tablet also gets extremely hot on the top quarter... I assume that is the GPU CPU working hard. If need a new better wall wart just point me in the right direction please.
    I also fee that Magic 2015 is poorly optimized for Android...
    Thanks for the reply and help.

Posted via Android Central App

750mA is very low. I think you need 2A to charge at maximum rate.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app
    B. Diddy likes this.

The official 2013 N7 charger puts out 1.35 A, so the one you're using draws significantly less current. Try finding a charger that is closer to 1.35 A.