Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Davehow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    It has a smart feature built right in that can tell you want your device rebooted, even if you weren't even thinking about it! Even if you're right in the middle of doing something like browsing the web, the N7 has the ability to read your mind, detect that on a subconscious level you want it to restart and interrupts anything you're doing to immediately do that for you. How amazing is that! Other tablet owners are so jealous they try to claim these are random restarts. Lol silly fanboys.
    aximtreo and castleruins like this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Sorry to hear about your issue. Care to elaborate, or just wanted to vent? Maybe I'm lucky, but my 2013 N7 has been flawless.
    Thanked by 2:
    CDGthatguy97 
    Jaylw09, UJ95x and thatguy97 like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Davehow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Sorry to hear about your issue. Care to elaborate, or just wanted to vent? Maybe I'm lucky, but my 2013 N7 has been flawless.
    Nah, just some tongue in cheek humor. I'm happy with mine but yeah, I do get the known random restarts about once/week
  4. #4  

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Davehow View Post
    Nah, just some tongue in cheek humor. I'm happy with mine but yeah, I do get the known random restarts about once/week

    Check your apps. Anything side loaded. Turn off Art also.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Davehow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Nope, no side loads, no ART, been persistent through every OS update since launch, including a factory reset done each time I updated and dalvik cache wipes having been done in the past.

    Not a deal breaker, and I know it's fairly common, but I have yet to see a permanent fix.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    I would say it is not fairly common at all.

    Are all of your apps up to date?

    Does it happen while using (or soon after using) a particular app?

    I'm not a believer in such, but have you tried running a virus scanner?

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Davehow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    I would say it is not fairly common at all.

    Are all of your apps up to date?

    Does it happen while using (or soon after using) a particular app?

    I'm not a believer in such, but have you tried running a virus scanner?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Well, a better way to frame it would be to say it's fairly common as far as known issues go, rather than in general.
  8. #8  
    CDG
    CDG is offline
    CDG's Avatar

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,999 Global Posts

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    I am a new N7 user for almost a week but a friend has had one for awhile. Neither of us have experienced any reboots and I didn't even know this was an issue with this device.

    Was yours re booting from the very beginning?

    Sent from my Nexus 7
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)

    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820 > iPhone 5> Motorola Moto X>iPhone 5s

  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Davehow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    I am a new N7 user for almost a week but a friend has had one for awhile. Neither of us have experienced any reboots and I didn't even know this was an issue with this device.

    Was yours re booting from the very beginning?

    Sent from my Nexus 7
    Yup. There's quite a few threads here and on XDA about it, and it's also on Google official support forums a lot. There's never been a confirmed fix, and at this stage likely never will be.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Davehow View Post
    Nope, no side loads, no ART, been persistent through every OS update since launch, including a factory reset done each time I updated and dalvik cache wipes having been done in the past.

    Not a deal breaker, and I know it's fairly common, but I have yet to see a permanent fix.
    I don't think it is common. I have never had a unexpected reboot, even when testing apps I have written.
  11. #11  

    Default

    As a general rule, major operating systems do not have spontaneous reboot issues - or any other issues for that matter.

    And your hardware it either bad or it isn't, but no software fix is going to resolve failing hardware.

    If you and others are having spontaneous reboot problems, they are almost certainly tied to one or more apps, quite possibly background apps (messaging, Facebook) or utilities (battery savers and the like) .

    Reboot the tablet into safe mode and run it that way for a day. Any spontaneous reboots? Delete any background or utility apps and run without them for a week. Any spontaneous reboots?

    Posted via Android Central App
  12. #12  

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    PS: is this a Wi-Fi only tablet, or the LTE model? If it is the LTE model, do you actually have a working SIM card installed?

    Just curious...

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Davehow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post
    I don't think it is common. I have never had a unexpected reboot, even when testing apps I have written.
    As I just stated, it's not common in general, but as far as known issues for the n7 goes, random reboots is one of the most commonly reported.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    I get the reboots too. Have done a few factory reset/cache wipes and it still happens randomly.
  15. #15  
    CDG
    CDG is offline
    CDG's Avatar

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,999 Global Posts

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Davehow View Post
    As I just stated, it's not common in general, but as far as known issues for the n7 goes, random reboots is one of the most commonly reported.
    Does it depend on whether its WiFi only or LTE? Just curious.

    Sent from my Nexus 7
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)

    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820 > iPhone 5> Motorola Moto X>iPhone 5s

  16. #16  

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    I think the point is being missed...

    Until you (any user) can show that a fresh-from-the-box device, with no installed apps other than stock operating system updates, exhibits this problem, it is unfair and irresponsible to blame the OS itself. Even then, it becomes necessary to rule out defective hardware.

    For anyone who has an LTE device that actually has an installed SIM card, I'd be curious to know what happens if you dial the number associated with the SIM card from another phone while the Nexus 7 is powered on.

    My Nexus 7 is the LTE model but I have not yet put a SIM card in it so am unable to test accordingly.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    Davehow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    I think the point is being missed...

    Until you (any user) can show that a fresh-from-the-box device, with no installed apps other than stock operating system updates, exhibits this problem, it is unfair and irresponsible to blame the OS itself. Even then, it becomes necessary to rule out defective hardware.

    For anyone who has an LTE device that actually has an installed SIM card, I'd be curious to know what happens if you dial the number associated with the SIM card from another phone while the Nexus 7 is powered on.

    My Nexus 7 is the LTE model but I have not yet put a SIM card in it so am unable to test accordingly.
    I think it's kind of moot at this point. There's 2 main defects present on some n7's since launch that still exist today a year later, and have never been rectified. If Google hasn't done so by now, even though they've both been highly documented, recorded, and discussed on the official Google support site, they seem unable to. That's fine, I can live with it for 230 bucks anyway until my next tablet.
    Thanked by:
    CDG 
  18. #18  

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Davehow View Post
    It has a smart feature built right in that can tell you want your device rebooted, even if you weren't even thinking about it! Even if you're right in the middle of doing something like browsing the web, the N7 has the ability to read your mind, detect that on a subconscious level you want it to restart and interrupts anything you're doing to immediately do that for you. How amazing is that! Other tablet owners are so jealous they try to claim these are random restarts. Lol silly fanboys.
    Not just for tablets, this feature is also found on phones, including both Nexus 4 that I have owned. It has the amazing ability to detect that I should restart immediately after performing a factory reset! Pretty slick.
  19. #19  
    CDG
    CDG is offline
    CDG's Avatar

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,999 Global Posts

    Default The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    @N4Newbie,

    When I call from my phone to the tablet, it says "the person you are trying to reach is not accepting calls right now. Please try your call again later".

    Interesting message for a device that cannot accept calls.

    Sent from my Nexus 7
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)

    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820 > iPhone 5> Motorola Moto X>iPhone 5s

  20. #20  
    CDG
    CDG is offline
    CDG's Avatar

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,999 Global Posts

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Davehow View Post
    I think it's kind of moot at this point. There's 2 main defects present on some n7's since launch that still exist today a year later, and have never been rectified. If Google hasn't done so by now, even though they've both been highly documented, recorded, and discussed on the official Google support site, they seem unable to. That's fine, I can live with it for 230 bucks anyway until my next tablet.
    What is the other defect? I am guessing from the price you posted that yours is the WiFi only version, is that correct?

    Not that it matters I am just curious.

    Sent from my Nexus 7
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)

    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820 > iPhone 5> Motorola Moto X>iPhone 5s

  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    Davehow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    The multi touch issue. Just search for it, you'll find anything you want to know about it.
  22. #22  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    9,185 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,449 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Davehow View Post
    The multi touch issue. Just search for it, you'll find anything you want to know about it.
    Sounds to me like you have a defective device. Plenty of people I know own an N7 and haven't had any of the aforementioned issues.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    Davehow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Sounds to me like you have a defective device. Plenty of people I know own an N7 and haven't had any of the aforementioned issues.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    Agreed, it is defective. I'm using my 3rd replacement now though and this one showed the issues less than the first 2 so I just decided to live with it. But that does nothing to negate that the N7 is widely reported to suffer from random reboots and multi touch issues for a lot of people.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Davehow View Post
    Agreed, it is defective. I'm using my 3rd replacement now though and this one showed the issues less than the first 2 so I just decided to live with it. But that does nothing to negate that the N7 is widely reported to suffer from random reboots and multi touch issues for a lot of people.
    But apparently NOT for lots of (most, I think) Nexus 7 owners. That points to hardware issues or app compatibility problems.

    Once again, the only way to know for certain is to start with a fresh-from-the-box device and see if it exhibits the same problems. Second best choice would be to run the device in Safe Mode for an extended period and see what happens.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    Davehow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default Re: The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    But apparently NOT for lots of (most, I think) Nexus 7 owners. That points to hardware issues or app compatibility problems.

    Once again, the only way to know for certain is to start with a fresh-from-the-box device and see if it exhibits the same problems. Second best choice would be to run the device in Safe Mode for an extended period and see what happens.
    You're misunderstanding me still. I never said most devices have issues. I said that these 2 issues, which do exist, are widely reported and well known. How long have you owned the N7? The multi touch and random reboot problems have been plastered all over the internet since launch. Every major android news outlet including this one and XDA developers (where the multi touch problem was discovered) has run a news story on it. You don't get that kind of coverage for a defect unless there's a LOT of reports being submitted. Google's official support has extensive coverage about it. Are you trying to downplay this or something? Facts are facts. I'm not sure if you're being defensive, or just don't believe it and haven't bothered to search it, but as much as I loathe having to provide links to someone when they could easily check for themselves, I can certainly prove my point if needed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Game saved on SD card is not showing up on new phone.
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2014, 11:52 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 06:19 PM
  3. How durable is the on/off button
    By Tiriyon in forum HTC One M8
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 12:48 PM
  4. 'P" icon at the top of my galaxy S5
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2014, 12:12 PM

Posting Permissions