Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Default How to restore from google account?

I just had my Nexus 7 (2013) serviced by Asus and they reset it to factory settings. Before sending it to them, I made sure "Back up my data" was checked and my backup account was my gmail account. However, I can't figure out how to restore it to its previous settings, and I can't find instructions anywhere. I was under the impression that a restore process would re-install all my apps (hopefully in the right folders and screen arrangements), remember wi-fi and app passwords, restore my settings, etc. Can I do this? If so, how?

Also, the "Back up my data" checkbox is now checked. (I'm not sure whether Asus shipped the repaired unit this way, or whether I checked it since receiving it.) Is it possible that, because of this, my tablet has already been "backed up" to its current, factory-reset condition, meaning I've lost all my previous settings? I sure hope not.

Thanks for any help!
    Bruce

Default Re: How to restore from google account?

as a person who has done this 7 times, i can tell you that it seems that it will do it randomly.

among the 7 times, it seems that this tablet only reinstalled everything by itself twice.

it doesn't happen everytime.

for me, all the pics are saved in the auto backup which is good.

i just need to reinstall apps. i am sure that you remember the most important ones that you use often.

so it is not very too stressful.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    543 Global Posts

Yeah, that part seems broken. Sometimes it works but mostly it doesn't.

Just go to the play store from a computer and install them from there, it's not too bad that way.

And the thing where it says it will back up app data? Complete BS far as I can tell.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Based on the replies from 2 frequent posters, I will conclude that I am not missing something obvious. Though it's hard to believe the Nexus 7 developers could omit such important functionality.

Has anyone had good results with any of the 3rd party backup apps? Again, I want to backup and restore everything -- settings, installed apps, app settings, screen layouts, folders, passwords, networks, etc. I found several apps that claimed they did some or all of this, but I didn't see the need to buy them since I thought the Nexus 7 "backup" feature would do a backup. Silly me!

Global Posts
    461 Global Posts

This is one of the big glaring holes that android has compared to iOS.
    I have factory reset my devices loads of times and it has never worked like it should. App data is never backed up and restored so you lose everything.

As far as I can see getting your photo's back from the auto backup feature is a nightmare and that is why I use a third party app to backup my camera roll and all the photo's I have on the device.

The only way to backup app data is to have a rooted device or use a PC with the SDK installed which the average person won't understand.

Thanks google for making it so hard.

Posted via Android Central App

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by btburger View Post
    Has anyone had good results with any of the 3rd party backup apps?
    I haven't used Helium http://market.android.com/details?id...ikdutta.backup on my N7, but I don't see why it would behave any differently than on my phone. If you want to backup your apps and app data without rooting it would be one option.
    Quote Originally Posted by btburger View Post
    Again, I want to backup and restore everything -- settings, installed apps, app settings, screen layouts, folders, passwords, networks, etc.
    Helium won't do your settings, screen layouts, folders, passwords or networks - if you're using a 3rd party launcher then usually that'll handle the screen layouts and folders.

People like to dis the Kies software for Samsung devices but it did almost everything that you were asking for.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    461 Global Posts

The Samsung backup software works for this kind of stuff, got rid of the s3 because of touchwiz and the fact it wasn't getting anymore updates.

I regret that decision now though.

Posted via Android Central App