Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does it still make sense to but a Nexus 7 a year later?

I'd like to purchase a tablet for myself and after research the one that makes the most sense for my price range is the Nexus 7. I'm just wondering is it still worth it to buy it now after it's been out for a year?

Default Re: Does it still make sense to but a Nexus 7 a year later?

I would say if your not one that has to have the latest and greatest then yes, consider it.

The price range is acceptable and most have a good feeling that the Nexus 7 (2013) model will indeed be updated to Android L whenever it is released into full production. That alone gives security that it will receive some initial updates/bug fixes to address any problems with the next edition of Android. So that said and I'm sure researching what the N7 is capable of it makes it a worthy consideration to buy into if you can live with it not being the latest and greatest.

I have the N7 (2012) model and am very pleased with it. It does what I want and performs rather well and if your into AOSP/Pure Android then its the place to be.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    B. Diddy likes this.

I'm quite happy with mine; my only suggestion would be to get a refurbished unit from Amazon/Woot so that you're out the least amount.
    If you're heavy into gaming or storing movies/music then be sure to get the 32GB model; otherwise the 16GB variant is fine.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    B. Diddy likes this.

My 2013 Nexus 7 continues to be an excellent device. Performance is smooth and zippy, and the screen quality is terrific. I can play complex games on it without problems. As mentioned above, if you don't need the newest of the new, then the N7 is a great choice.

Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

I use my Nexus 7 daily, but I still also find my wife's LG Pad 8.3 a compelling device and it can also be had at a good price.

Posted via Android Central App

My guess is that the nexus 7 is reaching the end of its production run. I am hoping for an 8 inch replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post
    My guess is that the nexus 7 is reaching the end of its production run. I am hoping for an 8 inch replacement.

Agree the N7 is at its end but as the OP asked is it worth investing in. If they agree with what has been said then yes it's still worth buying.

8 Inch would be nice but also comes at price literally in increased cost and would affect battery life with a comparable battery size. You would have to increase battery capacity and utilize a newer power saving processor to match it.
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

I hope they have a new 7 incher. I've had an 8 inch tablet, and found it a bit too wide for me to comfortably hold in one hand.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I bought my original nexus 7 a year late and it is still kicking along just fine.

Posted via the Android Central App

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

I have had the original N7 then updated to the current N7 2013 when it came out last summer. I can honestly say that compared to your other options and the possible future releases of a Nexus tablet......it wont be a 7 inch version. So with that in mind......getting the current version is still a great option for many reasons. PRICE PRICE PRICE.....when a new Nexus tablet drops, (supposed to be 8 to 8.9 inches) the price will come down again on current 7 inch one. Plus used/refurbished deals will be even better as well.

Secondly and most imports for the average user, the hardware and ability of this tablet is still some of the best. You are or will only be limited by apps. With a good GPS, data capable models if needed, a awesome screen, good sound, slimport/chrome cast capable, plenty of RAM (for now) and a S400 pro (de-tuned S600) snapdragon processor......this tablet will have a good lifespan compared to most all others for its stake in history.

So look for some good deals and try to get the 32g versions.

I was once ready to get a LG G pad....but the screen put me off. If that thing had the same display I would of got one.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Agree the N7 is at its end but as the OP asked is it worth investing in. If they agree with what has been said then yes it's still worth buying.

8 Inch would be nice but also comes at price literally in increased cost and would affect battery life with a comparable battery size. You would have to increase battery capacity and utilize a newer power saving processor to match it.
    Most of the space inside a tablet is battery, so that would compensate somewhat for the drain of the bigger display. Hopefully the lastest cpu would be used and Android is adding newer power management features. But as long as it works 4 hours between charges I am fine.

This is still a fun device simply because of the tweak and update factor along with the low cost.

The question is more "has another tablet come onto the market that bests the 7 in its price range?". I'm thinking the answer is no if the " range" tops out at $250.

A friend is looking for a tablet and I've recommended the 7 to her.

For myself, I'm dieing to get my hands on the nVidia Shield Tablet and its graphics power, but am i $300 interested when my existing tablet has been speedy and responsive for over a year?

Quote Originally Posted by ollieg View Post
    The question is more "has another tablet come onto the market that bests the 7 in its price range?". I'm thinking the answer is no if the " range" tops out at $250.

A friend is looking for a tablet and I've recommended the 7 to her.

For myself, I'm dieing to get my hands on the nVidia Shield Tablet and its graphics power, but am i $300 interested when my existing tablet has been speedy and responsive for over a year?
    You mentioned the Nvidia Shield Tablet. If your into gaming and high end graphics this is a huge win
    Paul

If you really need one now then yeah. If you can wait a bit, maybe you'll find the n8 hits the sweet spot for you. If not, the price on the n7 will only get even lower.
    Thanked by:

I got my N7 for $100. Yes a new Nexus is going to be out soon, but for the price I wouldn't pass it up. I can always pass it down to the kids and they can use it.
    keilflex likes this.

Global Posts
    8,932 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

At the prices they are available for and depending on use, I'd say yes. The device is still a great buy, and if using for light browsing or music use, then it's definitely something to pick up.

I've had my tablet for over a year and still love it. Maybe a tablet computer for a toy. lol

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Had mine for a year and love it! I have seen some pretty good deals lately too. I would go for it

The touch issues are so bad that it took me about five minutes to get into this thread and type this message. As an added bonus chrome is now freezing. I've had mine for 9 months and no tweaks have made it any more useable. So count me as a no.

I've had mine for almost a year now. I would not purchase it again. I had better luck with the original nexus 7. When the N8 or 9 comes out I'll sell the 7 and buy one of them.

Yes it is a great device I have the WiFi and got it the day it came out best ever. And about 7 mouths ago I got the Nexus 7 2012 just so I can have it. To me don't matter the date or time if I enjoy the company and its devices I will get them.
    MacBookPro, iPad, iPod. My go to device are Nexus5 and Nexus 7(2013).

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

I think it's a great 7" tablet, particularly for the price I paid. I have no idea what they are selling for these days, but I imagine the price will drop further when its successor is announced, probably pretty soon, right? That may be the time to compare prices and specs and decide between old and new, but I think I'll be holding on to the N7 for quite a while to come.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusNick123 View Post
    Yes it is a great device I have the WiFi and got it the day it came out best ever. And about 7 mouths ago I got the Nexus 7 2012 just so I can have it. To me don't matter the date or time if I enjoy the company and its devices I will get them.
    Well then I guess you have an appropriate user name. 😁
    NexusNick123 likes this.

I ended up picking up an LTE Nexus 7 last Friday (9/5/2014) from my local Best Buy. I was looking for a good but small LTE tablet that would work on Verizon. Basically came down to this or the LG GPad 8... I would have preferred one with LTE and a active stylus but they are pretty few and far between in the small tablet market this year.

The deciding factory was due to updates (Nexus SHOULD get them; no clue about the GPad). So far, I have been really happy! Will I upgrade in a year? Maybe. Who knows? But for now I am contempt and it should last me a while!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast