Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By d4005
  • 1 Post By brentj
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

Default Beware of Windows Update "ACER Composite ADB Interface"

This morning my Windows 7 computer notified me that an update was available (my Windows update setting is to notify me, not to automatically install updates), and it identified it as "Google, Inc.- ACER Composite ADB Interface" (or very similar, as I recall). I did some searching online and decided not to install this update, as others with the Nexus 7 have had problems connecting to their computer after installing this update. I do not own any Acer products, so I can only guess that Windows (mistakenly) sent me this update because I have drivers installed for my Nexus 7.

Here is a thread from another site with posts about this issue: Windows 8.1 Device Manager now showing ACER Device rather than Android Device for Google Nexus 7 - Stack Overflow
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Beware of Windows Update "ACER Composite ADB Interface"

Our own B. Diddy had the same issue with his Nexus 5: Nexus 5 connecting via USB as wrong device
    At least it seems like an easy fix...
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    B. Diddy likes this.

Thanks! I knew there was a problem with the update, but I didn't realize this was one of the problems!

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Quote Originally Posted by brentj View Post
    I do not own any Acer products, so I can only guess that Windows (mistakenly) sent me this update because I have drivers installed for my Nexus 7.
    FYI - you *do* own an Acer product, it's your Nexus 7. It maybe running the Android OS and be badged as a Google product, it was Acer that made it on Google's behalf.

Glad I googled this update. I was also suspicious of it being offered to me as an optional update and now I'm sure I don't want it. My Nexus 7 is connecting via USB just fine without this update, and clearly from the web responses I've seen, there's a good chance it'll stop working. Right-click and "don't show me this update again" for me

Actually, Asus makes the Nexus 7, not Acer.
    Thanked by:
    d4005 
    UJ95x likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Actually, Asus makes the Nexus 7, not Acer.
    Ha ha, I shouldn't post early in the morning when I haven't woken up yet Now I'm definitely glad I didn't install it, I definitely don't own anything from Acer then
    B. Diddy likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by d4005 View Post
    Ha ha, I shouldn't post early in the morning when I haven't woken up yet Now I'm definitely glad I didn't install it, I definitely don't own anything from Acer then
    Heh, yeah, I think folks working at Microsoft also got Acer and Asus mixed up as the maker of the Nexus 7 (2013) and erroneously pushed this update out to computers with Nexus 7 drivers installed.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Heh, yeah, I think folks working at Microsoft also got Acer and Asus mixed up as the maker of the Nexus 7 (2013) and erroneously pushed this update out to computers with Nexus 7 drivers installed.
    That's a scary thought but quite possible I guess.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)

QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820 > iPhone 5> Motorola Moto X>iPhone 5s

This morning my Windows 7 computer notified me that an update was available (my Windows update setting is to notify me, not to automatically install updates), and it identified it as "Google, Inc.- ACER Composite ADB Interface" (or very similar, as I recall). I did some searching online and decided not to install this update, as others with the Nexus 7 have had problems connecting to their computer after installing this update. I do not own any Acer products, so I can only guess that Windows (mistakenly) sent me this update because I have drivers installed for my Nexus 7.

Here is a thread from another site with posts about this issue: Windows 8.1 Device Manager now showing ACER Device rather than Android Device for Google Nexus 7 - Stack Overflow
    Had the same problem so i put the computer in the microwave and ate it and it fixed it!

Haha no just kidding but my galaxy nexus had the same problem reinstalling the driver worked. but its my only android device so i cant test with another phone.