Beware of Windows Update "ACER Composite ADB Interface"

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This morning my Windows 7 computer notified me that an update was available (my Windows update setting is to notify me, not to automatically install updates), and it identified it as "Google, Inc.- ACER Composite ADB Interface" (or very similar, as I recall). I did some searching online and decided not to install this update, as others with the Nexus 7 have had problems connecting to their computer after installing this update. I do not own any Acer products, so I can only guess that Windows (mistakenly) sent me this update because I have drivers installed for my Nexus 7.

Here is a thread from another site with posts about this issue: Windows 8.1 Device Manager now showing ACER Device rather than Android Device for Google Nexus 7 - Stack Overflow

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I knew there was a problem with the update, but I didn't realize this was one of the problems!

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I do not own any Acer products, so I can only guess that Windows (mistakenly) sent me this update because I have drivers installed for my Nexus 7.
FYI - you *do* own an Acer product, it's your Nexus 7. It maybe running the Android OS and be badged as a Google product, it was Acer that made it on Google's behalf.

Glad I googled this update. I was also suspicious of it being offered to me as an optional update and now I'm sure I don't want it. My Nexus 7 is connecting via USB just fine without this update, and clearly from the web responses I've seen, there's a good chance it'll stop working. Right-click and "don't show me this update again" for me :)

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Ha ha, I shouldn't post early in the morning when I haven't woken up yet :) Now I'm definitely glad I didn't install it, I definitely don't own anything from Acer then :)

Heh, yeah, I think folks working at Microsoft also got Acer and Asus mixed up as the maker of the Nexus 7 (2013) and erroneously pushed this update out to computers with Nexus 7 drivers installed.

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Heh, yeah, I think folks working at Microsoft also got Acer and Asus mixed up as the maker of the Nexus 7 (2013) and erroneously pushed this update out to computers with Nexus 7 drivers installed.
That's a scary thought but quite possible I guess.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
This morning my Windows 7 computer notified me that an update was available (my Windows update setting is to notify me, not to automatically install updates), and it identified it as "Google, Inc.- ACER Composite ADB Interface" (or very similar, as I recall). I did some searching online and decided not to install this update, as others with the Nexus 7 have had problems connecting to their computer after installing this update. I do not own any Acer products, so I can only guess that Windows (mistakenly) sent me this update because I have drivers installed for my Nexus 7.

Here is a thread from another site with posts about this issue: Windows 8.1 Device Manager now showing ACER Device rather than Android Device for Google Nexus 7 - Stack Overflow

Had the same problem so i put the computer in the microwave and ate it and it fixed it!

Haha no just kidding but my galaxy nexus had the same problem reinstalling the driver worked. but its my only android device so i cant test with another phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith