Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Javier P
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question do you have any battery saving apps installed?

it seems that they do work, but i wonder maybe that is the reason why it is causing random reboots because it shuts down apps.

i am not using it now, i haven't had any random reboots expect the first day when i got the refurbished tablet on 7/26.

so for those who use batter saving apps, do you get random reboots often?

Default Re: do you have any battery saving apps installed?

I don't use battery savers, so I can't answer that directly. But my opinion is that most battery saver apps don't do much, and increase the risk of problems, especially if they start killing apps or processes that they shouldn't be.
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 
    brosko likes this.

I only use Battery Monitor Widget http://market.android.com/details?id=ccc71.bmw (mainly to monitor charging current for accuracy; just want to see if I can trust this app) - I haven't noticed any random restart behavior with this installed.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

I tried a well reviewed battery saver app on my Galaxy SII but it had the opposite effect so I deleted it. I guess they can't be all things to all phones. I do not remember which one it was though, I just checked MyApps on Play Store and seems I deleted it from that list too.

I'd say give a few of them a try if they have free trial versions (not at the same time or Bad Things could happen). One might work for you, but if not, just delete and move on.

I never pursued battery savers as my SII died terminally shortly afterwards and with my phone usage my Nexus 5 gives me a couple of days, sometimes three, on a charge, which I find quite acceptable.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Like the antivirus apps.....those battery saver apps can do the same thing....cause problems.

The best thing I found was to disable as many google things as possible and get rid of any animated home screens.

Namely Currents/Newsstand was the primary one.
    Any Google Keyboards not needed (other languages)
    Google Pinyin
    Google Play Books
    Google Play Games
    Google Play Movies & TV
    Google Play Music

I get great battery life with those apps disabled. Good luck.

Yes. And don't forget Google +. If you don't use it disable it. It's a battery hog.

Google+ battery usage is variable. I use it all the time on my Nexus 5, and it doesn't cause excessive drain.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Google+ battery usage is variable. I use it all the time on my Nexus 5, and it doesn't cause excessive drain.
    I agree. It's a great app (and platform) if you use it. But you have to spend a little time with the settings making sure that isn't syncing and uploading as crazy. Not being careful about that can be a problem with background data and battery use. And some people have talked about that in this forum.

Experts as you, of course are not going to have problems with that. But some other people will. And my recommendation is always the same, if you don't use it (the social platform and the photos backup) better to disable it.
    B. Diddy likes this.

I've tried everything and nothing seems to help the poor battery life.

The problem seems to be with Kit Kat. I had great battery life when I ran Jelly Bean, but with both iterations of Kit Kat the battery life has been horrible. I'm hoping Android L will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier P View Post
    I agree. It's a great app (and platform) if you use it. But you have to spend a little time with the settings making sure that isn't syncing and uploading as crazy. Not being careful about that can be a problem with background data and battery use. And some people have talked about that in this forum.

Experts as you, of course are not going to have problems with that. But some other people will. And my recommendation is always the same, if you don't use it (the social platform and the photos backup) better to disable it.
    Agreed. Just wanted to say that G+ isn't always a battery hog, but it certainly can be. I agree that any preinstalled app that is never used ought to be disabled.

One of the first things I typically do with any app I install is explore its settings, to make sure it doesn't default to something crazy like refreshing every hour!
    Snake Griffin and Javier P like this.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    One of the first things I typically do with any app I install is explore its settings, to make sure it doesn't default to something crazy like refreshing every hour!
    As I said before, you're an expert

Your A guides were one of the main reasons I came to this forum. Great job Diddy.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Javier P View Post
    As I said before, you're an expert

Your A guides were one of the main reasons I came to this forum. Great job Diddy.
    Aw shucks [turning red] ...

I never use battery saver apps. But, I am not a heavy user (2-3 hours/day). Plus, I have a lot of wireless chargers lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post
    I never use battery saver apps. But, I am not a heavy user (2-3 hours/day). Plus, I have a lot of wireless chargers lying around.
    Yep, wireless chargers kinda eliminate battery longevity concerns.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

so no one uses it regularly?

when i used it, after a night of sleep, it usually only loses 3% of battery power. now i don't use it any more, battery power usually loses more than 5%, i think. (i don't check it daily any more.)

but i don't have random reboot problem frequently.